nerdmann
9 years ago

Now that free-agent tight end Jermichael Finley has received clearance from Dr. Jospeh Maroon to return to football, Finley needs to find a team that will clear him to play.  Then, he needs to find a contract that he regards as appropriate, given all relevant circumstances. And that's the point at which Finley will have...

Mike Florio  wrote:

I do not believe our team doctor will clear him.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
warhawk
9 years ago
I thought this was an injury more like Richardson had than say Collins. If that's true he has a better chance to get cleared.
"The train is leaving the station."
OlHoss1884
9 years ago
Honestly this seems to be a no-brainer. He is not going to lack for money so why risk getting paralyzed? In the long run, if he plays and plays well he MIGHT earn more than the $10 mill but returning from some injuries just isn't a good idea regardless of whether he feels ok or thinks he can still play.

I'd hate to root for the idea of Finley playing again then see him carted off paralyzed.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
nerdmann
9 years ago

Honestly this seems to be a no-brainer. He is not going to lack for money so why risk getting paralyzed? In the long run, if he plays and plays well he MIGHT earn more than the $10 mill but returning from some injuries just isn't a good idea regardless of whether he feels ok or thinks he can still play.

I'd hate to root for the idea of Finley playing again then see him carted off paralyzed.

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 

If he plays three years, he'll make more than $10. Maybe two, depending on the contract.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
9 years ago

If he plays three years, he'll make more than $10. Maybe two, depending on the contract.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

True, but apparently that 10 million is tax free, which is pretty sweet. Guy could have a kick ass life with all that money plus whatever he has. He could make tons of investments, start businesses, sell real estate, etc. Become a business man like Shaq!
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

True, but apparently that 10 million is tax free, which is pretty sweet. Guy could have a kick ass life with all that money plus whatever he has. He could make tons of investments, start businesses, sell real estate, etc. Become a business man like Shaq!

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

If he just walks away, he doesn't get paid.

They don't give you insurance against quitting.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
DoddPower
9 years ago

If he just walks away, he doesn't get paid.

They don't give you insurance against quitting.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

Agent Blake Baratz expressed confidence during a visit last week to PFT Live that Finley can get the insurance money if he chooses not to play, despite the fact that he has received clearance to return. If that’s accurate, Finley could lose a lot of money in exchange for a chance to play football again.

PFT  wrote:

I'm just taking that comment at face value. I haven't no idea how it will play out.
I've been critical of Finley on other threads, but it was with the assumption that he could get his hands on this 10 mil insurance policy.
sschind
9 years ago
Here is my take which means nothing.

He has been cleared to play so if a team offers him a contract the insurance company will argue that his career had not ended due to injury. Whether Finley decides to return or not at that time will be a moot point because he would have had a chance to return thus his career was not ended by injury. I would agree with this.

If no team offers him a contract his lawyers will argue that it is because of the injury risk since a player of his caliber would likely have gotten an offer if not for the injury. I would agree with this also.

A scenario where it is not so cut and dried IMO would be if he decides to retire now after he has been cleared by one doctor but before he is offered a contract. He has actively pursued a job in the NFL after being cleared so the insurance company lawyers will argue that his career is not over. His lawyers will argue that yes he did pursue a job but none were forthcoming and that could only be because of the injury. Personally I think if he were to walk away now and say he had a change of heart and didn't want to risk it I would say give him the money. After all, as far as we know, he has not been cleared by any doctor of any team that may have offered him a contract. If one doctor clears him but no others do and he doesn't play again its because of the injury. Of course no small part of that is due to the fact that I absolutely detest insurance companies.

Obviously the best way for Finley to have collected the 10 million would have been to simply retire and not seek clearance to play again. If he doesn't play again there will be a big fight on this and the only sure thing then will be that a bunch of lawyers will make a bunch of money. This in turn sucks balls as the only thing I detest as much as insurance companies are lawyers.

Before you go all political on me I'll just add that I know insurance companies and lawyers are necessary evils. I just don't trust them and I will do everything in power to avoid dealing with them as much as I can.

I will also add that my dislike is more for the profession or the business than any particular individuals. If you are a lawyer or are somehow employed in the insurance field I feel sorry for you but I do not dislike you personally. If I were to get to know you I may dislike and I may have some strong feelings against you based on how you act on this forum but I will not dislike you out of hand simply because of your chosen career path.
DoddPower
9 years ago

I will also add that my dislike is more for the profession or the business than any particular individuals. If you are a lawyer or are somehow employed in the insurance field I feel sorry for you but I do not dislike you personally. If I were to get to know you I may dislike and I may have some strong feelings against you based on how you act on this forum but I will not dislike you out of hand simply because of your chosen career path.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

This is similar to I feel about politics, or anything else. It sounds very cliche', but in my opinion, true: "Hate the player, not the game." No matter how bad, corrupt, or lame a politician is, there is always going to be someone just as bad ready to take their place because the system ("the game") perpetuates the cycle. Same for attorneys, athletes, and anything else. The politicians, Wall Street folk, and attorneys are simply playing the game. I can't necessarily blame them. I mean, it's not unreasonable to do so, but it's missing the bigger picture. One should focus more on the system that perpetuates the cycle of futility, because that's the root of the problem. How can I truly get mad at Politicians or Wall Street investors for maximizing their earning potential and power if it's within the confines of the law? Because it may not be ethical? Psssh. Not everyone is going to play by another's perception of ethics. That may piss some off, but everyone has different priorities, experiences, and philosophies that guide their behavior. If there's no standard metric, I can't be that upset if some don't play by the same rules that I would. Isn't maximizing ones potential (and often subsequently earning potential) a pillar of capitalism and a free market society?

It's similar to the Western medicine philosophy of mostly treating symptoms instead of the actual causes of medical problems. Some temporary progress or relief can certainly be had (I benefit from that), but the bigger problem will remain and continue to occur until the root of the issue is identified and addressed. There's nothing wrong with doing the best we can do until it's possible to do better, but I think many would argue that we could be doing much better in many facets of life and/or society these days. "If things aren't improving, they're getting worse." Another cliche statement that is valuable to consider. But once again, everyone lives by different philosophies.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.