Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Ha’Sean Clinton-Dix | Free Safety | Alabama | 6'1" - 208 lbs.

Jersey #21

Full name: Ha’Sean "Ha Ha" Clinton-Dix
Position: Safety
Height: 6-foot-1 3/8
Weight: 208 pounds
College: Alabama
Hometown: Orlando, Fla.
Packers’ uniform number: 21
*40-yard dash time: 4.58
*Vertical jump: 33 inches
*Broad jump: 9 feet, 11 inches
*Bench press: 11 reps at 225 pounds
*Arm length: 32 3/8 inches
*Wingspan: 78 1/2 inches
Twitter handle:@haha_cd6

OVERVIEW
His full name is Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix. Elite recruit out of Florida, where he doubled as a running back and kick returner. Played in 13 games for Alabama as a true freshman in '11 and recorded 11 tackles and two pass breakups. Was a key performer for the national champions in '12, appearing in all 14 games (10 starts) at safety. Had 37 tackles, four pass breakups and five interceptions with one-half tackle for loss and one forced fumble. Tied for the SEC lead in interceptions, including picks in the SEC Championship Game win over Georgia and the BCS National Championship Game win over Notre Dame. In '13, he played in 11 games (nine starts at free safety) and totaled 51-4-2 with 3.5 tackles for loss. Received a suspension for accepting a short-term loan of less than $500 from an assistant coach, missing two games. Injured his knee against Auburn on Nov. 30, necessitating surgery on the meniscus tear, but returned to the field for the Allstate Sugar Bowl.

STRENGTHS Good size and wingspan. Quick to read and react. Enough speed and fluidity to keep pace with slot receivers or tight ends. Ranges off the hash. Good hands to intercept. Takes direct angles to the ball. Drops downhill urgently, runs the alley and does not shy from contact -- wipes out ball carriers. Secure tackler. Can break down and tackle in space. Has special-teams experience. Well-coached in a pro-style defense.

WEAKNESSES Has a narrow build and lacks ideal bulk. Could stand to get stronger. Not an elite athlete -- ordinary speed and leaping ability. Occasionally gets stuck on blocks. Could stand to iron out his pedal. Does not always play with abandon -- plays conservatively at times and can be late fitting in the run game or getting off the hash. Average ball production and playmaking ability. Not as natural in the box. Was not an exceptional ballhawk or an intimidating eraser.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 1

BOTTOM LINE Hype exceeded his performance in Tuscaloosa, but Clinton-Dix offers starter-caliber instincts, range, coverage skills and tackling ability as a free safety. Should be a Day 1 starter.
UserPostedImage
macbob
9 years ago

Strengths Weaknesses
STRENGTHS: A rangy, fluid athlete, Clinton-Dix covers a lot of ground against both the pass and the run and projects to either free or strong safety. He has the aggressive nature to attack ballcarriers and shows the read/react quickness to diagnose and take accurate angles in coverage. He has plus hands for the interception and shows vision and natural open-field running skills with the ball in his hands.

Anticipates the run well, attacking the line of scrimmage to make some impressive stops up close.

WEAKNESSES: Doesn't have the preferred strength, at this time, to break free from blocks and isn't a consistently physical tackler, electing to grab and pull down ball-carriers rather than striking them forcefully.

--ROB RANG

Player Overview
Clinton-Dix was one of seven true freshmen to earn playing time in 2011 at Alabama and in 2012, he led the team with five interceptions, setting an expectation for a great junior year, and subsequent entry into the 2014 draft.

While he posted respectable numbers as a junior -- 51 tackles, two INTs, four pass breakups -- he wasn't the consistent big-play finisher he was in 2012, and his season was clouded by a two-game suspension in October for a violation of team rules.

Clinton-Dix's instincts and ability to diagnose seem better than his athletic ability, which is considerable. His rare combination of size, speed, aggression and ball skills mark him as a potential NFL star.

Birth name is Ha'Sean. Grandmother gave him the unusual name he goes by, but that talent is nothing to laugh at.

CBS Sports wrote:

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Why did this guy fall down to 21?

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

walter 

1. Haha Clinton-Dix*, S, Alabama
Height: 6-1. Weight: 208.
40 Time: 4.58.
Projected Round (2014): 1.
5/5/14: Sources have said that Clinton-Dix could slide because he is not an elite athlete, but he is the consensus top-ranked safety and could sneak into the top 10. There are a lot of safety-needy teams in the top 16, so it looks unlikely that Clinton-Dix slides into the 20s. Clinton-Dix is a rangy free safety who covers a lot of ground as the deep center fielder. He is superb at taking away long pass plays downfield and also can match up on tight ends. Clinton-Dix has the size and length to be used in a variety of ways. He looks like a nice value pick.

At the Combine, Clinton-Dix had a solid 40 time and looked even better in the field work. He moved well in those drills with smooth hips to turn and good feet. Clinton-Dix showed that he is a natural center fielder who covers a lot of ground.

Clinton-Dix totaled 50 tackles, two interceptions and four passes broken up in 2013. He played well against Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, Ole Miss, LSU and Mississippi State. Clinton-Dix was suspended for two games for taking a loan from an assistant, but Nick Saban reinstated him before the game against Arkansas. Clinton-Dix didn't have his best game against Auburn as he got caught on a few misdirection runs.

Clinton-Dix did some damage to his draft stock when he landed that then-indefinite suspension for taking a loan from an Alabama assistant. A week before his suspension, Clinton-Dix was excellent against Ole Miss in deep coverage on the Rebels' talented wide receivers. He had eight tackles and was very active.

8/18/13: Clinton-Dix had a breakout season in 2012 as a platoon player following Mark Barron's departure for the NFL. Clinton-Dix totaled 37 tackles with five interceptions, four passes broken up and a forced fumble.

Clinton-Dix is very good in pass coverage as a deep defender and roving free safety. He covers a lot of ground, defends big receivers and has ball skills. The junior is expected to be the difference-maker in the Alabama secondary this year now that Robert Lester has moved on to the NFL, too.

The Crimson Tide has produced a lot of good defensive backs, and Clinton-Dix looks like the next star to come out of Alabama's secondary with his combination of size and speed. The Orlando, Florida product was top recruit coming out of high school.

I am tired of giving up the big plays. hopefully he will help shut them down. TE coverage is a huge plus.
UserPostedImage
schroeder84
9 years ago
This is the pick I was totally hoping for! He looks like a guy who will fit right in from the start, and if he can live up to half the hype, he will be solid at the very least. No matter what, he should be an improvement to what the Pack put on the field last year.
isocleas2
9 years ago
Exciting, I know little about him besides a couple highlight videos but he fell to us and Ted Thompson + crew didn't overthink it. Hopefully we can now finally move on from the loss of Nick Collins.
mi_keys
9 years ago
I'm pretty sure I owe tex an apology. Said no way ha ha would fall. Glad I was wrong.
Born and bred a cheesehead
DakotaT
9 years ago

I'm pretty sure I owe tex an apology. Said no way ha ha would fall. Glad I was wrong.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

There is never a reason to apologize to Texas!
UserPostedImage
dhazer
9 years ago
im not even mad at Teddy this year lol
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix | Defensive Back
Team: Green Bay Packers
Age / DOB: (21) / 12/21/1992
Ht / Wt: 6'1' / 208
College: Alabama
Share:
Green Bay Packers
Latest News
Recent News
Packers selected Alabama FS Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix with the No. 21 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft.
It was an easy pick for GM Ted Thompson, whose defense badly needed free safety help. Expect Morgan Burnett to focus on "box" duties in 2014, and Micah Hyde to stay at corner. Clinton-Dix (6-foot-1, 208) was a two-year starter in Nick Saban's secondary, recording seven career interceptions and showing flexibility as both a box and deep safety. He has plus range, is a sure tackler, and even flashed man-cover skills at Alabama. "HHCD" isn't a special athlete, but that kind of versatility at safety is coveted in a "matchup league." Clinton-Dix clocked a 4.58 forty at the Combine with a 33-inch vertical and 9-foot-11 broad jump. He could afford to add upper-body strength, managing 11 reps on the bench. Look for Clinton-Dix to be a true centerfielder under DC Dom Capers. May 8 - 10:35 PM

rotoworld  wrote:

UserPostedImage