DakotaT
9 years ago
LOL, Buckeye still having trouble having anybody negatively critique a Packer. Brandon Jackson was a bust for the Packers, but he sure juked Brian Urlacher in that NFC championship game, nearly breaking his ankles. It seems like even our suckiest players seem to have a memorable moment or two. You don't draft a running back in the second round to be a 3rd down back. That is what the later rounds are for.

I sure hope Lacy hit the condition this off season, he came into camp kind of doughboyish last year, but looked pretty toned up by season's end.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago
I think I said, Brandon Jackson was not a "big miss", he wasn't a "big hit", he wasn't drafted to be the every down back, that was Ryan Grants job.

He wasn't built to pound the ball and wear down a defense, he was by far the best The Packers had after Grant went down.

When Starks came on in the playoff run, he showed exactly what he was in Green bay for.

His only mistake was thinking he was an every down back and darted to Cleveland signed the big contract and almost immediately was injured and never returned to form.

2010 regular season rushing stats

Brandon Jackson.....190.....703
John Kuhn...............84......281
Aaron Rodgers.........64......356
Dimitri Nance...........36.......95
James Starks...........29.....101
Matt Flynn................9.......26
Ryan Grant...............8.......45
Greg Jennings...........1.........1

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

I think I said, Brandon Jackson was not a "big miss", he wasn't a "big hit", he wasn't drafted to be the every down back, that was Ryan Grants job.

He wasn't built to pound the ball and wear down a defense, he was by far the best The Packers had after Grant went down.

When Starks came on in the playoff run, he showed exactly what he was in Green bay for.

His only mistake was thinking he was an every down back and darted to Cleveland signed the big contract and almost immediately was injured and never returned to form.

2010 regular season rushing stats

Brandon Jackson.....190.....703
John Kuhn...............84......281
Aaron Rodgers.........64......356
Dimitri Nance...........36.......95
James Starks...........29.....101
Matt Flynn................9.......26
Ryan Grant...............8.......45
Greg Jennings...........1.........1

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Ryan Grant wasn't even on the roster when Jackson was drafted! The only other back on the roster when the 07 draft came around was Vernand Morency. Jackson was upstaged by a 7th rounder from the same draft class (Wynn), an UDFA who was on a practice squad for two years (Grant) and a 6th rounder (Starks). Like I said before, Wynn was getting more carries then Jackson before he got hurt in 07. Notice how once Starks and Grant showed they were legit runners they IMMEDIATELY got all the carries? No 50-50, no platoon approach or anything. It took until year 3 for Jackson to carve out a niche for himself. If getting upstaged by late round/undrafted talent and only excelling in a narrow role isn't disappointing, I'm not sure what is.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

Ryan Grant wasn't even on the roster when Jackson was drafted! The only other back on the roster when the 07 draft came around was Vernand Morency. Jackson was upstaged by a 7th rounder from the same draft class (Wynn), an UDFA who was on a practice squad for two years (Grant) and a 6th rounder (Starks). Like I said before, Wynn was getting more carries then Jackson before he got hurt in 07. Notice how once Starks and Grant showed they were legit runners they IMMEDIATELY got all the carries? No 50-50, no platoon approach or anything. It took until year 3 for Jackson to carve out a niche for himself. If getting upstaged by late round/undrafted talent and only excelling in a narrow role isn't disappointing, I'm not sure what is.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

I forgot EVERY FRICKIN' DRAFT PICK IS SUPPOSED TO COME TO THE PACKERS AND IMMEDIALTY BECOME A SUPERSTAR OR HE IS A BUST.

ONE MORE TIME, BRANDON JACKSON WAS NOT A "BIG MISS", HE WASN'T A "BIG HIT".

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
play2win
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

267 yds in 2007
248 yds in 2008
111 yds in 2009
703 yds in 2010

Sure, he came around to contribute in his 4th season in GB, and did little to nothing in his first 3 years. We should all be expecting more from a valuable 2nd round pick, and that is entirely the point.

I had already said how well Thompson had actually done for us, and was simply mentioning if they could stay away from the few dud picks we would be in really good shape.

Some people just have to be contradictory, regardless of facts. As previously mentioned the picks don't always work out. But, it would be smart of this staff to do more to try to avoid early misses.
play2win
9 years ago

I forgot EVERY FRICKIN' DRAFT PICK IS SUPPOSED TO COME TO THE PACKERS AND IMMEDIALTY BECOME A SUPERSTAR OR HE IS A BUST.

No one said superstar or bust. That's just you ratcheting up the hyperbole to suit your needs.

This is about a very simple point on maximizing the impact with early picks, and hoping the team can do that.

I'm sorry, I happen to think Colledge and Jackson, and, yes, Worthy, who I think is a poser and too small to be effective, were BIG misses. That's my opinion.

Colledge was never a "solid" starter, but just a starter by default. Jackson was never a "good" RB, but he did make some great contributions along the way in 2010. It was without a doubt his best of 4 seasons. In his 4th season he finally learned how to pass protect.
DakotaT
9 years ago
Brandon Jackson was drafted to be our running back in the zone blocking scheme because what he played in college. He didn't cut the mustard and Ryan Grant came in and played. Brandon Jackson was then relegated to 3rd down back. This stuff isn't that complicated.

Brandon Jackson was just another disappointment, but Ryan Grant saved the day. Same thing with KGB and Jamaal Reynolds. Moving on!!!
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
9 years ago
Re: sizzle, here are that no one has mentioned that might be available to GB at different parts in the draft.

1. Marquise Lee. Might be still on board at 21...or even into early second. Definitely might be in manageable trade-up range (i.e., 6 picks or less).

2. Tre Mason. I for one really like the idea of having a real speed option to complement Lacy's smash-and-pound. Can you imagine the fits opposition coaches would have trying to game plan against both Lacy and Mason? Plus he's probably a better receiver already than any other Packer RB. And last, Lacy's style will wear him down fast. Adding a threat like Mason could add two or more years to Lacy's career. He probably won't last to #21 in the second, and he definitely won't last until #21 in the third.

3. Dri Archer. I have no idea where this guy ends up, draftwise. But if you are looking for sizzle, this guy's got it bigtime. How long will he last? Fourth? Early sixth?

There was one more RB, but I cant remember now.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
play2win
9 years ago

Re: sizzle, here are that no one has mentioned that might be available to GB at different parts in the draft.

1. Marquise Lee. Might be still on board at 21...or even into early second. Definitely might be in manageable trade-up range (i.e., 6 picks or less).

2. Tre Mason. I for one really like the idea of having a real speed option to complement Lacy's smash-and-pound. Can you imagine the fits opposition coaches would have trying to game plan against both Lacy and Mason? Plus he's probably a better receiver already than any other Packer RB. And last, Lacy's style will wear him down fast. Adding a threat like Mason could add two or more years to Lacy's career. He probably won't last to #21 in the second, and he definitely won't last until #21 in the third.

3. Dri Archer. I have no idea where this guy ends up, draftwise. But if you are looking for sizzle, this guy's got it bigtime. How long will he last? Fourth? Early sixth?

There was one more RB, but I cant remember now.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

I bet you're thinking of DeAnthony Thomas, the RB and KR from Oregon. This kid is a burner who knows how to find the end zone.

Another good later round one should be Jeremy Gallon, WR/KR out of Michigan. Phenomenal receiver in a very small, fast package.

One more later round WR is Devin Street out of PIT. I would take this kid in a heartbeat.
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

UserPostedImage

267 yds in 2007
248 yds in 2008
111 yds in 2009
703 yds in 2010

Sure, he came around to contribute in his 4th season in GB, and did little to nothing in his first 3 years. We should all be expecting more from a valuable 2nd round pick, and that is entirely the point.

I had already said how well Thompson had actually done for us, and was simply mentioning if they could stay away from the few dud picks we would be in really good shape.

Some people just have to be contradictory, regardless of facts. As previously mentioned the picks don't always work out. But, it would be smart of this staff to do more to try to avoid early misses.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

=d> =d> =d> =d> =d>
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers