DakotaT
9 years ago
My God, fellas, is the draft here yet? Granted, I have been AWOL lately, but is this all there is to discuss?
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

My God, fellas, is the draft here yet? Granted, I have been AWOL lately, but is this all there is to discuss?

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

not at all. there is also Wade's Fantasizing within the realm of possibility 

Enjoy
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

Haven't put my board together yet.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
9 years ago

You were gone?

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

Glad your are back. there is A LOT of pretend draft talk to sort through.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago
This is one of the biggest knocks on TT... the lack of sizzle players he drafts. It seems the Packers rarely take a guy in Round 1 who is a true game changer. Go back over decades of history and you rarely see it from Green bay, but you'll see it quite a bit from Minnesota.

It's tiring when you get the Vonnie Holiday's of the world while the rivals are getting the Randy Moss'.

Datone Jones vs. Cordarrelle Patterson (I realize Vikes had 3 cuts at it the 1st round and we had only one but we could've taken Patterson)

Ted's round 1 record isn't all that impressive. It's very odd. He is so good with his UDFA's and non first rounders but very middling, at best, in Round 1. If he was somewhat better in Round 1, this team would've won more than just one ring since he's been around, IMO.

I do think the mentality of who Ted Thompson drafts is different because it's Green Bay, WI and not NYC. He works hard to find guys who'll fit in this small market. I do think that is somewhat important. I don't think the majority of players want to play in Green Bay. Charles Woodson is a great example of that...he really didn't want any part of coming to Green Bay but found it was a great place for him. I have to believe Ted Thompson thought he would fit in Packerland or he would've never brought him aboard.

Trading back, this year, makes all the sense in the world in light of his record up higher with the supposed depth of this draft. Can't miss in Round 1 like usual.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
9 years ago

This is one of the biggest knocks on TT... the lack of sizzle players he drafts. It seems the Packers rarely take a guy in Round 1 who is a true game changer. Go back over decades of history and you rarely see it from Green bay, but you'll see it quite a bit from Minnesota.

It's tiring when you get the Vonnie Holiday's of the world while the rivals are getting the Randy Moss'.

Datone Jones vs. Cordarrelle Patterson (I realize Vikes had 3 cuts at it the 1st round and we had only one but we could've taken Patterson)

Ted's round 1 record isn't all that impressive. It's very odd. He is so good with his UDFA's and non first rounders but very middling, at best, in Round 1. If he was somewhat better in Round 1, this team would've won more than just one ring since he's been around, IMO.

I do think the mentality of who Ted Thompson drafts is different because it's Green Bay, WI and not NYC. He works hard to find guys who'll fit in this small market. I do think that is somewhat important. I don't think the majority of players want to play in Green Bay. Charles Woodson is a great example of that...he really didn't want any part of coming to Green Bay but found it was a great place for him. I have to believe Ted Thompson thought he would fit in Packerland or he would've never brought him aboard.

Trading back, this year, makes all the sense in the world in light of his record up higher with the supposed depth of this draft. Can't miss in Round 1 like usual.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I look at the Justin Harrell pick as a "sizzle" pick. Turned into a bust, but he was taking a risk to get a guy with flashy skills. Worked pretty well when he took Aaron and Clay, not so much when he took Justin.

I tend to be more of a conservative, so I like these "high basement" picks. The Jordy Nelsons of the world are fine by me. Although I'd still try to upgrade Hawk. lol

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
9 years ago
I just don't think that when you are picking in the last third of the first round there are that many "sizzle" picks. At least not in the way of national media attention. Obviously there are more than 20 very good college players entering the draft every year but those who garner the lions share of the headlines are usually top 15 talents or at least top 15 hyped talents.

That's why when a fan like me, who does not follow college football that much, sees a pick like Datone Jones for example all we have to go on is what the experts say and the experts were not touting him as a top half talent so it doesn't seem like an exciting pick. Sure it is a pick that produces a lot of hope in us just because he is our first round pick and he does have a lot of positives. We can't help but wonder though what it is about him that kept him out of the top 15. This is doubly true when the pick is a linemen, especially an offensive lineman. Its almost as its "Ho Hum" now we have to wait until the next round to get a pick we can be excited about.

Don't get me wrong, when based on previous years record I'd take a bottom 10 pick every year over a top 10. Its just that the perception is that the game changers as uffda put it are the top 15 guys. I know that is not true but but it is the perception for a lot of people. After all, something about these guys kept them from being a top 15 pick. Sometimes it is because there were a lot of really good players out there and they happened to be a victim of poor timing when they came out.

I have high hopes for every Packers pick and in the vast majority of cases I don't have any preconceived notions about them because I don't really know who they are or how they play. In a way that is good because it is rare for me to say "what the hell was he thinking" when Ted makes any of his picks. In a way it is bad because equally rarely do I get to say "now that's how you make a draft pick" About all I can say is "seems like a decent pick, I hope he works out" I guess that is why I don't get as worked up over the draft as anyone else.
gbguy20
9 years ago

I just don't think that when you are picking in the last third of the first round there are that many "sizzle" picks.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

hits the nail on the head. moving on.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

hits the nail on the head. moving on.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

There are plenty of sizzle picks available in Round 1... we tend to take the foundational/solid types. Justin Harrell was not a sizzle pick to me at all. Man, it hurts to type that name. I love the draft...favorite event in all of sports but Harrell did nothing for me, and, ironically, nothing for us same as Jamal Reynolds...Ahmad Carroll. Man, have we had some brutal 1st rounders.

Check this link and look at some of the sizzle to be had at the end of Round 1 and beginning of Round 2.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/rounds/round_1 
Ted Thompson just ain't into sizzle. These touted game changers aren't usually his cup of tea.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."