wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
9 years ago

The Packers have a solid nucleus to build around. But help is definitely needed — most notably at safety, inside linebacker, tight end, wide receiver and on the defensive line. When the draft begins May 8, Ted Thompson is expected to address these positions early — and perhaps often.

JSOnline  wrote:

Nice break down. I may weigh some of the positions differently than Rob Reischel but overall it is a good read.
UserPostedImage
play2win
9 years ago
That is still a good number of needs. If we can shore up the top 3-5 positions by adding better talent that will help. I'm hopeful Ted hits it big this year.
mi_keys
9 years ago
I think he overstates the need at receiver. I'd be shocked if we didn't resign Cobb and Nelson. We have cap under this year to work with yet. Boykin showed plenty last year to have confidence in him as a third receiver. Between the other young guys in the system you'd expect to at least have the quality of a 4th or 5th receiver there somewhere. The bottom line is our depth at receiver is still above average in this league, maybe even well above depending on how well Boykin comes along and if the top 3 stay healthy.

I'd like to see at least one receiving threat, whether that be a tight end or a wide receiver, taken this year; and potentially one of each. But there is no way in hell receiver is our second biggest need.

I'd put nose tackle at our second biggest need behind safety (just edging inside linebacker for me where at least we have one consistent, albeit unspectacular performer in Hawk, and a couple young guys who we'd hope could do a competent job). Once the injuries started to pile up we were gashed up the middle on the run and we almost never collapsed the pocket up the middle in passing situations. Edge rushers are just not as effective if you leave a ton of space for a QB to step up into the pocket. Right now we have a guy who has been grossly underperforming the past three years and virtually no one else. Boyd can play there in a pinch, but at this point in time I would not want to rely on him to consistently plug the middle. He's more likely a defensive end in our scheme in running situations.

I'd move center further up the list since we do not have a known quantity at the position. It doesn't mean we should address it early, but you don't usually get a run of centers early anyway.

With Flynn and Tolzein lined up as the backups this year, we don't really have a need at quarterback at the moment. There are some prospects that would be worthwhile considering later on in the draft depending on how everything unfolds, but picking a quarterback now should strictly be due to BPA.
Born and bred a cheesehead
nerdmann
9 years ago

I think he overstates the need at receiver. I'd be shocked if we didn't resign Cobb and Nelson. We have cap under this year to work with yet. Boykin showed plenty last year to have confidence in him as a third receiver. Between the other young guys in the system you'd expect to at least have the quality of a 4th or 5th receiver there somewhere. The bottom line is our depth at receiver is still above average in this league, maybe even well above depending on how well Boykin comes along and if the top 3 stay healthy.

I'd like to see at least one receiving threat, whether that be a tight end or a wide receiver, taken this year; and potentially one of each. But there is no way in hell receiver is our second biggest need.

I'd put nose tackle at our second biggest need behind safety (just edging inside linebacker for me where at least we have one consistent, albeit unspectacular performer in Hawk, and a couple young guys who we'd hope could do a competent job). Once the injuries started to pile up we were gashed up the middle on the run and we almost never collapsed the pocket up the middle in passing situations. Edge rushers are just not as effective if you leave a ton of space for a QB to step up into the pocket. Right now we have a guy who has been grossly underperforming the past three years and virtually no one else. Boyd can play there in a pinch, but at this point in time I would not want to rely on him to consistently plug the middle. He's more likely a defensive end in our scheme in running situations.

I'd move center further up the list since we do not have a known quantity at the position. It doesn't mean we should address it early, but you don't usually get a run of centers early anyway.

With Flynn and Tolzein lined up as the backups this year, we don't really have a need at quarterback at the moment. There are some prospects that would be worthwhile considering later on in the draft depending on how everything unfolds, but picking a quarterback now should strictly be due to BPA.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

They need a guy who can also return punts.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
9 years ago

I don't know mi_keys. When Cobb went down, we were at a loss, and that was with Jones. Right now, behind Nelson, Cobb and Boykin, we have little there that is game proven. Lose one starter to injury and we could be in trouble. Two would be much worse. I like the idea of Ted adding a WR anywhere in the first 4 rounds if he sees fit to do so.

I also see ILB as being nearly as big a need as Safety. Depends on what happens wight Lattimore and Barrington. I think Jones is not worth having on this team.

NT is a close 3rd in priority, and the wide bodies are few and far between. We could use one, and if Ted goes there early we will know why. That position does not seem too deep in this draft.
wpr
  • wpr
9 years ago

I have no problem with your assessment. I see what he is saying that IF in 2 years both Nelson and Cobb are gone what do they do. But that doesn't make it quite as urgent this year.

it is also somewhat of a cop out to so many positions within a point or two on his urgency rating scale.

He does use a double standard comparing center and wr. He is lax in his rating of unproven Tretter at C but more panicky if you will about needing another WR. I took that to mean he expects Uncle Teddy to select a WR in the first 2 days while he probably won't look at the OL until Day 3 even the C position. Part of that is there is a lot more talent at WR than at C in the draft.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
9 years ago

I don't know mi_keys. When Cobb went down, we were at a loss, and that was with Jones. Right now, behind Nelson, Cobb and Boykin, we have little there that is game proven. Lose one starter to injury and we could be in trouble. Two would be much worse. I like the idea of Ted adding a WR anywhere in the first 4 rounds if he sees fit to do so.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Right, but the injury argument applies to every position. If injuries occur anywhere, your depth all of a sudden looks much worse at the position. If Raji goes down we have essentially no one there who is a dedicated nose tackle. We'd have to play someone like Boyd out of their preferred position. If JC Tretter goes down OR isn't any good (we have high hopes in his potential but he's not even as proven as Boykin) we likely have to reshuffle multiple positions on the line. If Hawk goes down, we have no proven, consistent commodities at inside linebacker.

If Cobb or Nelson go down, we still have the other and Boykin. In such a situation we can spread the passing out around the tight ends and our running backs, who are deeper than we have had at the position (RB, not TE) in years. If both Cobb or Nelson go down, well, see the above paragraph and we're even more screwed at each position. And how many teams still have stacked receiving groups if the top two go down?

I'm not saying there is no need at receiver. As I said, I want to see at least one receiving target taken (tight end or receiver) to expand that depth. If one of the top receivers falls in one of the early rounds, I have no issue taking him if it's a BPA. Otherwise, if you're sitting there with a NT, ILB or S that is roughly the same grade as a WR, I'd rather wait and take the WR later.
Born and bred a cheesehead
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
In a league where I consider every year rebuilding while you keep your core in tact I am just looking for one defensive draft pick to make an impact like last year where Hyde showed he can be a playmaker. Vic touched on this in his ask Vic video and I agree. Now this could be someone we drafted last year like Jones or Boyd. The hope is we draft a front seven guy (no matter what the position) that makes an immediate impact for the better.

First round is still very much a toss up for me. I don't find myself getting too overexcited about anyone in particular especially so close to the end of the round. I would not be shocked nor angry if it turns out to be an offensive player.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
wpr
  • wpr
9 years ago

In a league where I consider every year rebuilding while you keep your core in tact I am just looking for one defensive draft pick to make an impact like last year where Hyde showed he can be a playmaker. Vic touched on this in his ask Vic video and I agree. Now this could be someone we drafted last year like Jones or Boyd. The hope is we draft a front seven guy (no matter what the position) that makes an immediate impact for the better.

First round is still very much a toss up for me. I don't find myself getting too overexcited about anyone in particular especially so close to the end of the round. I would not be shocked nor angry if it turns out to be an offensive player.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

I guess that is one of the things that helps make a long long day enjoyable as we sit and wait. The speculation over who will still be there. Personally I hope there is a stampede for QBs, RBs and OLmen in the first round. (There won't.) But the more players who are taken at areas of low need mean more for Uncle Teddy to chose from.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
Also I would like to add that I believe the Raji signing shows the opinion we have on the nose tackle prospects in this year's draft. It really is slim pickings.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (17m) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (1h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (11h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (18h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (19h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (23h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.