mi_keys
9 years ago

So I trust in Uncle Teddy's crew more than other team's draft teams is that a crime? Naturally I am speaking in general terms. Even the great Uncle Teddy can fail when he is working a trade. Thing is people don't get as excited if he were to trade down than to trade up and it not work out. You have more picks so if the 3rd round pick is a bust and the 5th round pick is great many people would tend to give him a pass. They would over look the fact that he could have still had the pick without the trade.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

No, not a crime. I trust Uncle Teddy's crew more than most other teams too (you'd be daft not to, considering the level of success they've had).

To your point about the scenario regarding trading back for a 3rd and a 5th; why shouldn't that be a pass? If you stay pat and pick a great player or move back for two picks yielding one great player and one bust, it's the same end result. That goes along the lines of what I was talking about with trading back for Jennings or Nelson.

Look, with our roster right now, we should probably lean towards looking to move up; but only if the situation falls right where our guy is sitting there and we can negotiate the trade without getting screwed in the process (see Washington move up for RGIII). I believe you've more or less said as much.

The short of it, is that I'm disagreeing with trading up or trading back being inherently better than the other. The draft is very fluid and in any given year--based on team needs, your team's draft board and how other teams are acting in the draft--should determine whether the trade up, trade back or stand pat is the right move.
Born and bred a cheesehead
play2win
9 years ago
I've been riding the fence on trade up or down. Jerel Worthy was a trade up that didn't work out too well thus far. CMlll was a great move. I guess, I'm just trusting this staff will do what they think is best, with the best info money can buy, or close to.
play2win
9 years ago

Actually, it depends on your situation. Trading away picks to move up helps your starting team at the expense of your depth.

Mike Sherman was a poster boy for the former (trading up), and Ted Thompson is a poster boy for the latter (trading down for additional picks).

Sherman left us depleted--as long as our starters were healthy, we were OK, but the minute somebody got injured there was a big drop off to their replacement. It also relied on him hitting a larger percentage of his picks, since he had fewer picks overall.

Thompson's approach was exactly what we needed after Sherman. The additional picks allowed us to regain depth quicker.

But once you have good depth again, you can afford some trading up to improve your starters. Which is where Thompson has impressed me the most--he adjusted his normal approach to trade up and take CM3 because of his player evaluation, and hit a home run.

Overall, I've been impressed with Thompson--he's kept us toward the top of the NFL, got us a Super Bowl championship, and had us surviving the loss of Aaron Rodgers to make the playoffs. He's had a few misses, but that's the nature of the beast--it's going to happen.

Originally Posted by: macbob 

Wow macbob, fantastic post.

Yeah, all GMs make mistakes. I am very happy with what Ted has done in drafting for the most part. I'm just hoping he raises the bar this year, as we will need a very good draft. We've got some ground to make up on some of these teams, and that's what could really help us get over the hump.
nerdmann
9 years ago

I don't have to prove squat to you.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Nor can you.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
9 years ago

Yeah, all GMs make mistakes. I am very happy with what Ted has done in drafting for the most part. I'm just hoping he raises the bar this year, as we will need a very good draft. We've got some ground to make up on some of these teams, and that's what could really help us get over the hump.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

We could certainly use help in some spots, but the biggest issue facing this team is injuries.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

Nor can you.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

True.

I know what I think and why so the only reason I would not be able to tell you is due to your lack on comprehension.
UserPostedImage
luigis
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I think Ted is in the top-10 of drafters, he has had his hits and misses like everybody.

I'm not in the war room on draft date but I believe the way the draft flows is a critical factor in how it results for any team. The year of the Harrell pick I think something went really wrong.

Lacy's pick was an example of a draft that flowed really really well, if you knew how good Eddie was then it was actually tempting to pick him in the first round, Ted stood put and whatever the calculations were they were right as we could grab Lacy anyway. I was really nervous and I would have either reached for him in the first round or panicked and traded up to get him sooner than our 2nd pick.

Luis
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
How are we defining "Best"?

Best as in best value, or best as in best player regardless of overall selection?
UserPostedImage
warhawk
9 years ago
I guess depth is extremely underrated but not to me.

IMO this team has several very good football players. There are also several steady players that are good quality starters. There are a few decent players that can step in and do a decent job.

If you don't have depth your screwed.

I see a lot of teams that at the onset of the season they have a very strong starting lineup but are rail thin below that. It's only a matter of time when guys start going down and the quality of play drops way off.

I actually thought the Bears starting 22 last year was probably stronger overall than ours BUT they were very thin behind that group. Maybe why the Bears always seem to come out of the blocks well only to fall on their face later?

I EXPECT 1st and 2nd round picks to become good quality starters and if you can add better quality depth later in the draft it's a home run.

The biggest problem this team has faced is all the injuries to 1st round players. I mean Bulaga, Sherrod, Perry, Mathews, and Rodgers all out and all out for significant periods of time.

For a draft and develop team these ARE our high priced FA alternatives. A team couldn't put this many high end FA's on the team all in one year but if they could and every one of them went down with injury how well you think they could do?

8-8-1? I would say not a chance.
"The train is leaving the station."
play2win
9 years ago
I actually agree with the ranking best to worst:

Rodgers
Matthews
Raji
Hawk
Bulaga
Perry
Jones
Sherrod
Harrell

And, while being a 2nd rounder in a trade down, Jordy Nelson has been right up there with Rodgers as one of our most consistent, effective players. One of my favs.

I can see Raji and Hawk as a tie for 3rd.

Man, was I pissed when he took Harrell. Also was very surprised at the time of all the Bulaga, Perry, Sherrod and Jones picks. I really did not want or see any of those being the pick, from my play2win war room! (Disclaimer:idks) However, was pretty happy with them all after the fact. Hoping they all show well this season.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (3h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.