Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2014 4:03:11 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,895
Applause Received: 2,094

JerseyAl wrote:
As everyone continues to wait and watch for news on the football future of Jermichael Finley, the Green Bay Packers are facing a point where they will soon have to make a decision at the tight end position. Drafting a tight end in the upcoming NFL Draft seems like a foregone conclusion for the Packers, [...]
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2014 4:55:20 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,498
Applause Received: 625

He's got the raw skills, he's just gotta show he can produce consistently. Unlike DJ Williams, David Martin, etc.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline play2win  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:15:46 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I've been leaning towards the premise of this article, that we could very well be just fine at TE with who we have. I find Quarless to be highly underrated. Bostick and Stoney could, and should come in bigger and stronger after an offseason of NFL conditioning. Bostick really could make a very big jump in production this season. While I could easily see Ted draft one high if the right guy falls to him, I believe our best bet is to trust who we have here on this roster and push the draft chips to defense, C and WR.

BPA is nothing to sneeze at. Maybe we land one of the best TEs in the draft, or to have come out in some time. If Ted goes there I wouldn't mind, and if he doesn't, that means he is trusting in who he already has, which I wouldn't mind either.
Online texaspackerbacker  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2014 6:48:40 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 420
Applause Received: 250

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I've been leaning towards the premise of this article, that we could very well be just fine at TE with who we have. I find Quarless to be highly underrated. Bostick and Stoney could, and should come in bigger and stronger after an offseason of NFL conditioning. Bostick really could make a very big jump in production this season. While I could easily see Ted draft one high if the right guy falls to him, I believe our best bet is to trust who we have here on this roster and push the draft chips to defense, C and WR.

BPA is nothing to sneeze at. Maybe we land one of the best TEs in the draft, or to have come out in some time. If Ted goes there I wouldn't mind, and if he doesn't, that means he is trusting in who he already has, which I wouldn't mind either.

Uh, that's pretty much what I've been saying for some time - fine with Quarless getting the most snaps. If Bostick can just catch the ball, he will more than replace Finley - who I, for one, am NOT particularly waiting and watching for. Stoneburner is a maybe; Taylor does what Taylor does fairly effectively. We would be just fine that way.

As for this BPA thing - if it happened to be a TE and we got a near superstar, obviously I'd get an attitude adjustment in favor very quickly - assuming Ted covered the much more blatant needs at Safety and ILB elsewhere in the draft. And whoever that TE might be, it would be his absolute luckiest day ever to be catching Aaron Rodgers passes. Just the same, I prefer going with what we have at TE while fixing the D in the early rounds.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2014 6:21:08 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 650
Applause Received: 1,338

A 6-4 wide receiver in the first round solves all these problems, then just go with the mediocrity we have at TE. Once you get a great tight end, most of them become head cases because they feel they are overworked and underpaid anyway. Just problems you don't need. Tight ends are for blocking first and foremost, and then for moving the chains.
UserPostedImage
Offline warhawk  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 7:17:30 AM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Received: 215

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
A 6-4 wide receiver in the first round solves all these problems, then just go with the mediocrity we have at TE. Once you get a great tight end, most of them become head cases because they feel they are overworked and underpaid anyway. Just problems you don't need. Tight ends are for blocking first and foremost, and then for moving the chains.

I don't see why Ted would have to go 1st round for a receiver. The WR group is pretty darn stout and by the time Nelson and Cobb get new contracts we will be pretty heavily invested at the position.

I guess I don't see "all these problems". I wish we were as talented at other positions as we are at WR/TE. I thought Quarless played his best football toward the end of the year while we were getting nothing out of Brad Jones or the safety position.

Besides, this is the deepest draft at WR I can recall and Ted can go get a very talented one later in the draft for depth. I think that would be more prudent since Ted Thompson has not gone low for an ILB or Safety for years....and it shows.

Last several drafts Ted's gone "Big body" OL/DL or OLB early and then landed the Nelson's and Cobb's, etc., and I guess I would like to see him spread the wealth out and concentrate on other positions early this year.

"The train is leaving the station."
thanks Post received 1 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 4/18/2014(UTC)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 1:19:07 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 360

With Lacy, I have much more desire for a TE that can block, and sometimes make catches out of the backfield, than a TE that can catch and sometimes makes a block. If Bostick can match what Quarless offers, a 2 TE option with Lacy in the backfield would be extremely difficult to defend. Defenses will be forced to play closer to the line to defend against Lacy, making it easier for Nelson and Cobb to find holes and harder for defenses to cover TE releasing.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 4/21/2014(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 5:10:55 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
With Lacy, I have much more desire for a TE that can block, and sometimes make catches out of the backfield, than a TE that can catch and sometimes makes a block. If Bostick can match what Quarless offers, a 2 TE option with Lacy in the backfield would be extremely difficult to defend. Defenses will be forced to play closer to the line to defend against Lacy, making it easier for Nelson and Cobb to find holes and harder for defenses to cover TE releasing.

PFWT, I think you hit the nail on the head. If Ted drafts a TE, I'm hoping he is of the more complete variety of TE, equally effective as a blocker and a receiver. I don't see us needing the hybrid variety, but they loved Finley in this offense, so, tough to say which way they will go.
Offline nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 7:06:19 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
PFWT, I think you hit the nail on the head. If Ted drafts a TE, I'm hoping he is of the more complete variety of TE, equally effective as a blocker and a receiver. I don't see us needing the hybrid variety, but they loved Finley in this offense, so, tough to say which way they will go.

Well let's see. They've got three guys who can block...
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DoddPower  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 5:54:50 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,973
Applause Received: 473

I think expecting anything more than an average tight end from Brandon Bostick is overly optimistic. The guy is no J. Finley, and I don't think he ever will be. He's two inches shorter too, which can make a difference. Could he turn into a great player? Sure, but I'm certainly not expecting it. I would say the odds that he will not be a great player are much greater than the alternatives.
Offline nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 6:15:19 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
I think expecting anything more than an average tight end from Brandon Bostick is overly optimistic. The guy is no J. Finley, and I don't think he ever will be. He's two inches shorter too, which can make a difference. Could he turn into a great player? Sure, but I'm certainly not expecting it. I would say the odds that he will not be a great player are much greater than the alternatives.

He's got the speed to get deep. I think the reason we got him on a discount, was due to him being shorter than prototype.
Offline DoddPower  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:59:36 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,973
Applause Received: 473

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
He's got the speed to get deep. I think the reason we got him on a discount, was due to him being shorter than prototype.

I feel you, but speed isn't enough. I hope it works out for the guy, but I was also high on DJ Williams, and that didn't work out well. It's amazing to me how effective some guys can be in college but contribute almost nothing in the NFL.