play2win
9 years ago
Word is spreading some of the QB needy teams are considering passing on the QB picks in R1. If Ted were to steal one, maybe it proves a huge windfall in trade with a team like CLE, who has 4 of the first 83 picks in this draft.

A few teams with quarterback needs have an interesting strategy. I’ve heard that at least four quarterback-needy teams—Houston (first pick), Jacksonville (3), Cleveland (4) and Oakland (5)—are strongly considering passing on quarterbacks with their first picks and waiting until their second or third selections. Simple reason: They’re not in love with any of the quarterbacks, and there are too many other good players who are surer things than a quarterback you have sincere doubts about. For that reason, there could be more quarterbacks taken in round two than round one. For instance, Jacksonville really likes Jimmy Garoppolo of Eastern Illinois, and he’d likely be there high in the second round when the Jags pick again, at 39.

One more thing: The great value in this draft will be from about 20 to 50. So guess what team is in great position to capitalize on the depth in rounds one and two? San Francisco, with the ability and the recent history of moving around so well. The rich-get-richer Niners hold the 30th, 56th, 61st, and 77th overall picks. If they want someone in the forties, they’ve got the currency to get him. The Browns are in good shape to do some damage too, with picks 26, 35, 71 and 83.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/14/nfl-draft-jadeveon-clowney-monday-morning-qb/

hmmmm...
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
yeah right ........ hahahaha.

It just ain't that hard to find a successful college QB nowadays, and a lot of them turn into decent NFL QBs that weren't even that good in college.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
warhawk
9 years ago
I think it's a gamble I would prefer not to take.

Teams that need a QB would know that we want to trade that pick and the leverage would be more in their favor than ours IMO.

You have to think of the fall back position or in other words the worst case scenario and that would be that no acceptable trade offer comes in. Would it be the best decision for the team if they ended up with a QB at #21. The answer is NOT.

If Ted finds a trade partner and wants to get more picks early that would be fine, or, it's very possible a really good player falls thru the cracks and is sitting there. Those two options are much better than getting tricky.

This is a very deep draft and we haven't drafted this low for awhile now. I can't see screwing around with that.
"The train is leaving the station."
nerdmann
9 years ago
Last year, and I can prove this, because I posted it on my blog,  I said: IF GENO SMITH FALLS, TAKE HIM!

What would that have looked like after Aaron went down? NERD=GENIUS.

Proof that I'm smarter than Ted Thompson!

I say, trust your scouts. If you have a QB as a clear BPA, take him.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago
Sorta seems like when there was talk of tagging Flynn and trying to trade him. The risk was getting stuck with his contract. Likewise, drafting a QB at #21 and trying to offload him seems risky. I doubt we'd get back what we paid for in terms of draft pick value since teams would know that we want to offload the drafted QB and would have all the high ground in talks.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
mi_keys
9 years ago

Last year, and I can prove this, because I posted it on my blog,  I said: IF GENO SMITH FALLS, TAKE HIM!

What would that have looked like after Aaron went down? NERD=GENIUS.

Proof that I'm smarter than Ted Thompson!

I say, trust your scouts. If you have a QB as a clear BPA, take him.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Is this a joke?

Geno Smith had the single worst passer rating (66.5) of quarterbacks with enough passes to qualify (I believe minimum attempts is 100). Scott Tolzien at 66.8 and Seneca Wallace at 64.4 had comparable passer ratings.

If we'd taken him, with what he showed this past year, it would have looked incomprehensibly stupid. He needs to show significant improvement or he won't be long for this league.

On topic, I don't know that there is really a quarterback worth taking at 21 over some of the other players that are likely to be available. They all seem to have questions. There also seem to be some decent prospects that are projected to be available much later in the draft, so I would rather try to address the backup QB position on the second or third day of the draft.

And as others have stated, if the other teams aren't interested in picking the player, and know we don't want to be stuck with him, then we have little to no leverage in drafting him and trying to trade. I'd rather just directly trade back into the early second round if there is a run on defensive players and try to get a handful of picks in the second and third round and maximize this supposedly deep draft.
Born and bred a cheesehead
nerdmann
9 years ago

Is this a joke?

Geno Smith had the single worst passer rating (66.5) of quarterbacks with enough passes to qualify (I believe minimum attempts is 100). Scott Tolzien at 66.8 and Seneca Wallace at 64.4 had comparable passer ratings.

If we'd taken him, with what he showed this past year, it would have looked incomprehensibly stupid. He needs to show significant improvement or he won't be long for this league.

On topic, I don't know that there is really a quarterback worth taking at 21 over some of the other players that are likely to be available. They all seem to have questions. There also seem to be some decent prospects that are projected to be available much later in the draft, so I would rather try to address the backup QB position on the second or third day of the draft.

And as others have stated, if the other teams aren't interested in picking the player, and know we don't want to be stuck with him, then we have little to no leverage in drafting him and trying to trade. I'd rather just directly trade back into the early second round if there is a run on defensive players and try to get a handful of picks in the second and third round and maximize this supposedly deep draft.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

He looked good at times, and let's face it. Mike would have had something to work with there. I'd take Mike and Aaron over the Ryan anyday.

Geno Smith>Seneca Wallace.

EDIT: And btw, the Packers would have given him ALOT more weapons to work with.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago
A team drafts a QB in the 1st rnd, that means they are looking to replace their current QB within a year or 2.

Too much quality talent at other positions to worry about whether this years qb's are the real deal or not.

Flynn and Tolzien are good enough for another year.

Cmon Ted get Flynn signed!!!!!!!

Then move onto draft day.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
If Ted had the good sense to pick up Tolzien instead of Seneca Wallace - or just about anybody else off the scrap heap other than Seneca Wallace, the additional time to develop Tolzien or whoever would have meant we didn't even need Flynn last season.

No, Ted, do NOT sign Flynn. Not only would it be money wasted, but the team would be worse off with Flynn if, heaven forbid, we needed to play a backup again, than we would with a well-trained Tolzien.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
play2win
9 years ago
Let's put it this way.

• The Texans pick 1st, and they need a QB, but will probably take Clowney.

• The Jags pick 3rd, and they have Chad Henne at QB. They need one, but may decide to go with Mack at OLB.

• The Browns pick 4th, need a QB, but word is they are going to jump on WR Sammy Watkins out of Clemson here.

• The Vikings pick 8th, and they need a QB pronto. Probably do here, and they probably tag Bortles.

• That will leave Manziel and/or Bridgewater. Both HOU and JAX may want to jump CLE with their 2nd R1 at #24 to nab one of these guys. Meanwhile, GB sits ahead of CLE at #21.

It is possible our #21 could come into play here. HOU holds the 1st pick in every round. Maybe they make it worth Ted's while to trade out of R1 by packaging #33 and #65.

Would you take an R2 and R3, tops of both rounds for #21? I might.

JAX could offer #39, 70 and 105. This deal would mean 7 picks for us through the first 4 rounds. Not bad.

Would you just draft Manziel if he's there and see what happens? I might. That could become a super valuable bargaining chip.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.