Zero2Cool
9 years ago
A fan wrote in questioning if the Packers were rebuilding. This is what the response was. What do you think?

This is absolutely not a rebuilding year, but it’s a year of change, especially on defense, and most people would view that as a good thing. At the NFL annual meeting two weeks ago, I asked Mike McCarthy if he thought his team was better on paper now than it was at this time last year, and he said it is. The Packers are loaded on offense. They need to fix their defense and I believe that can be done. There is every reason to believe the Packers will be a playoff contender in 2014, which means they’ll be a championship contender.

Vic Ketchman wrote:

UserPostedImage
joemailman
9 years ago
It's certainly not a rebuilding year. The way Ted Thompson builds through the draft is designed to avoid a situation where you have to rebuild. The idea is to reload. As long as Thompson is the GM here, that won't change.

Entering the 2013 season, the Packers were the NFL's 6th youngest team. http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/09/nfl-teams-ranked-by-average-age/  Of the 5 teams younger than the Packers, only Seattle is a playoff team.
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
Right, rebuilding means a step or two backward in order to advance at some point in the future.

No Way the Packers will be worse this season. It's just a question of how much better. I don't really even see all that much change. Not having two fat sacks of shit in the D-Line (I guess we still will have one hahaha), enhanced pass rush courtesy of Mr. Peppers, and some kind of improvement at Safety - that's about it for change unless we get lucky and Brad Jones gets replaced. ALL of that is positive stuff.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
9 years ago
Fuck Vic Ketchman and his stupid fake name.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
musccy
9 years ago

Fuck Vic Ketchman and his stupid fake name.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I know he comes off as a little goofy in his videos, and as you'd expect he's a little bit of a m.m./Ted homer, but I actually think he has some really valuable insight and have gotten in the habit of reading his article each day.
play2win
9 years ago
A lot has to go right. We will need better, more consistent play from LT, RT, C, ILB, FS, SS, DE, LOLB and NT, and we'll have to be on the other side of the injury ledger... All these other teams are bringing in new talent too, not just us. But, talent we've been bringing along over the past few years should be producing at a higher level. Some of these guys could realize their break out years this season. It should be fun to see if/how it all happens. I have a pretty good level of confidence we will be a better team than in 2012 and 2013. How much better is anyone's guess.

Existing players who I think will really turn it up this season:

Bakhtiari
Bulaga
Hayward
Richardson
Hyde
Daniels
Datone Jones
Nick Perry
Boykin
Quarless
Bostick
Starks
Matthews
Raji

Many of these guys have either been developing, or have been injured to the point where they are probably just dying to get onto the field and really produce, some for the first time. Raji falls into neither category, but I feel he has been misused for about 2-3 years. I think there will be a pretty great incentive to be available and ready this season, because we are not rebuilding, but rather, very close to turning the corner.
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

A lot has to go right. We will need better, more consistent play from LT, RT, C, ILB, FS, SS, DE, LOLB and NT, and we'll have to be on the other side of the injury ledger... All these other teams are bringing in new talent too, not just us. It should be fun to see if/how it all happens. I have a pretty good level of confidence we will be a better team than in 2012 and 2013. How much better is anyone's guess.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

With what most believe is a strong draft, yes, other teams are getting better too, but just speaking of what has happened up to now, the two top other contenders for best team, Seattle and San Francisco, both seem to be a little bit on the minus side.

And THIS article is about "rebuilding" - getting worse before better. To avoid that, about all we'd have to do is stay the same in the areas you mentioned - actually not even that if we don't have the same bad level of injuries.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
play2win
9 years ago

With what most believe is a strong draft, yes, other teams are getting better too, but just speaking of what has happened up to now, the two top other contenders for best team, Seattle and San Francisco, both seem to be a little bit on the minus side.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Figure, there will be other teams as well who may take a step or two up. Carolina comes to mind, as does New Orleans and Chicago. Detroilet should be better. Seattle still has to be considered the cream of the crop right now, and San Francisco is just another pretender until they prove otherwise, which I believe they will be trying to do with some serious motivation.

Seattle is going to miss Chris Clemons in the middle of their D (to JAX) as well as Golden Tate, who is now with Megatron in Detroilet.

Maybe good fortune falls on Green Bay on the injury front for a change, and we see players step up to challenge for the ultimate prize again. If we land two of the top Safeties in this draft I believe we will be looking pretty good.

I don't mind Lattimore at ILB alongside Hawk, and I'm actually looking forward to seeing if Barrington can be a player there too. If we upgrade this position with a special talent as well, all the better.
mi_keys
9 years ago

Figure, there will be other teams as well who may take a step or two up. Carolina comes to mind, as does New Orleans and Chicago. Detroilet should be better. Seattle still has to be considered the cream of the crop right now, and San Francisco is just another pretender until they prove otherwise, which I believe they will be trying to do with some serious motivation.

Seattle is going to miss Chris Clemons in the middle of their D (to JAX) as well as Golden Tate, who is now with Megatron in Detroilet.

Maybe good fortune falls on Green Bay on the injury front for a change, and we see players step up to challenge for the ultimate prize again. If we land two of the top Safeties in this draft I believe we will be looking pretty good.

I don't mind Lattimore at ILB alongside Hawk, and I'm actually looking forward to seeing if Barrington can be a player there too. If we upgrade this position with a special talent as well, all the better.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Detroilet. I like it. If only they had kept Schwartz; we'd know they'd be irrelevant again.
Born and bred a cheesehead
DoddPower
9 years ago
I've said it many times, but the Packers will be as much of a contender as any other team in the NFL if they can just stay relatively healthy. That doesn't mean they will be the most dominant team in the league or anything, but they would easily be a contender if they stay reasonably healthy. If multiple key starters end up on injured reserve or are out come playoff time, then no, they probably won't make much noise. It mostly comes down to just having their players on the field. The Packers have enough talent to beat the 49'ers, Saints, Patriots, Bears, Bengals, etc. I think they can go toe-to-toe with Seattle, too, especially if some of the younger players take their game to the next level (which is reasonable).

The Packers just need another good draft, continued development of young talent, and health, and they will be serious Super Bowl contenders. It's really that simple, imo.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (10h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (12h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (13h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (15h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (16h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Around The NFL / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.