texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

If a player could make the same amount of money to live in San Diego or Green Bay, I think many players would strongly lean towards San Diego. Who could blame them, it's one of the most beautiful cities in the United States, and the weather is amazing. It's a much bigger city, so there is much more to do. There's definitely a reason why Aaron Rodgers calls the place home in the off season. The Chargers are annual playoff contenders, too, although not really Super Bowl contenders. But the Packers haven't been lately, either.

I think location has a huge impact on players decisions. Yes, being the best and achieving the pinnacle of your business is a great thing, but there are probably many of us on this very forum that are happy just to have a good job that meets their needs. Some of us aren't willing to do everything it takes to be the absolute best at what they do. After all, for some, there is more to life than just work. I have no doubt several NFL players feel that same way, whether it's in the best interest of their careers, or not. Ultimately, it's just a job.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

It's possible you are right, but I don't think most players are that shallow. A Great Man once said, "Winning isn't everything, it's the ONLY thing". Things may have changed in a half century or so, but I find it hard to believe nice weather trumps that. The Chargers aren't quite as "annual" as the Packers. And as Aaron Rodgers knows, there is always the off-season. Somehow, I don't think Ol' Vince would care for your "just a job" comment either.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
musccy
10 years ago

jarius byrd turned down a 4 year 38.5 million dollar contract from the bills

that would have made him the leagues highest paid safety

guess we're not getting him.

my dreams are crushed.

plz resign shields :(

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Ouch. Well Ward apparently doesn't want to resign with Cleveland. I'm not sure that he's the answer, but might be cheaper.

sschind
10 years ago

If a player could make the same amount of money to live in San Diego or Green Bay, I think many players would strongly lean towards San Diego. Who could blame them, it's one of the most beautiful cities in the United States, and the weather is amazing. It's a much bigger city, so there is much more to do. There's definitely a reason why Aaron Rodgers calls the place home in the off season. The Chargers are annual playoff contenders, too, although not really Super Bowl contenders. But the Packers haven't been lately, either.

I think location has a huge impact on players decisions. Yes, being the best and achieving the pinnacle of your business is a great thing, but there are probably many of us on this very forum that are happy just to have a good job that meets their needs. Some of us aren't willing to do everything it takes to be the absolute best at what they do. After all, for some, there is more to life than just work. I have no doubt several NFL players feel that same way, whether it's in the best interest of their careers, or not. Ultimately, it's just a job.

IMO for the majority of free agents the top 5 priorities are:

1 money
2 more money
3 contender
4 team (could mean city they play in)
5 money

The majority of the time they will take the most money. If contract offers are equal a player might opt for a contender. If two contenders offer the same amount they may take the actual teams into consideration.

As far as the cap going up meaning it may be more difficult to sign Shields I could see it being a factor. Yeah each teams cap went up by the same amount but if Cleveland now has an extra 8 million they may be more inclined to throw an extra couple at Sam and if the Packers are only set to pay a certain amount the extra may put his number out of reach of what Ted Thompson is willing to pay.

DoddPower
10 years ago

The majority of the time they will take the most money. If contract offers are equal a player might opt for a contender. If two contenders offer the same amount they may take the actual teams into consideration.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

This is my main point. All things equal, a team like Green Bay will generally have to pay more for many (or most) players than a "more desirable" team. The current difference between the Chargers and the Packers isn't nearly as great as some of us would like to think right now. Even "bad" weather cities like Seattle or San Francisco are likely more desirable than Green Bay to many. There's a reason multiple free agents talk about wanting to play for Seattle (James Jones and J. Finley come to mind). It's a great team, and in a pretty great city. That's a pretty sweet deal to still be paid millions of dollars. Most of those guys are going to get paid millions of dollars anywhere they go. I agree most players will take the money first and foremost, but I don't think many would take $500,000 extra dollars or something small like that to come to Green Bay if they had an option to go to somewhere they perceived to be better. Of course, there are always exceptions, but with the case of Green Bay, I think they are just that: exceptions.

If I was a player, I would try to get the most money I could on the best team I could. If the salary difference between two relatively similar teams was only 5-10%, I'm pretty sure I would factor in location. Aaron Rodgers knows he always has the off season to be in San Diego, but that means for a good chunk of the year, he's essentially away from his home. Why do something like that if you don't have to? Find a good enough situation and home can be where the team is, much like several players do with Green Bay.

It's great if a player eats, sleeps, and breaths their job. But for many, their life outside of work has to factor in some. I'm sure it does for most everyone on this forum. Why would we think it would be so much different for NFL players? For the exceptions, sure, but not for all.
DakotaT
10 years ago
Doesn't it really come down to whether or not Green Bay would even entertain the player that only wants to get paid? Charles Woodson didn't want to come to Green Bay, but by doing so, he found out he was one hell of a football player, again! I'm sure he will consider it one of the greatest turning points in his career.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
10 years ago

jarius byrd turned down a 4 year 38.5 million dollar contract from the bills

that would have made him the leagues highest paid safety

guess we're not getting him.

my dreams are crushed.

plz resign shields :(

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I don't think the Packers would be willing to pay anything close to that, but...his decision could have also been impacted due to it being the Bills...haha.

Byrd did say this about the Pack: “It would be a good opportunity there as well,” said Byrd. “Any time you have those places that have high-potent offenses that can put up points on the board, it always bodes well for a defensive back, because you have an opportunity to get the ball back to those quarterbacks to get more points on the board.”

But again, no way Ted Thompson puts out that kind of money on a free agent.
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago

This is my main point. All things equal, a team like Green Bay will generally have to pay more for many (or most) players than a "more desirable" team. The current difference between the Chargers and the Packers isn't nearly as great as some of us would like to think right now. Even "bad" weather cities like Seattle or San Francisco are likely more desirable than Green Bay to many. There's a reason multiple free agents talk about wanting to play for Seattle (James Jones and J. Finley come to mind). It's a great team, and in a pretty great city. That's a pretty sweet deal to still be paid millions of dollars. Most of those guys are going to get paid millions of dollars anywhere they go. I agree most players will take the money first and foremost, but I don't think many would take $500,000 extra dollars or something small like that to come to Green Bay if they had an option to go to somewhere they perceived to be better. Of course, there are always exceptions, but with the case of Green Bay, I think they are just that: exceptions.

If I was a player, I would try to get the most money I could on the best team I could. If the salary difference between two relatively similar teams was only 5-10%, I'm pretty sure I would factor in location. Aaron Rodgers knows he always has the off season to be in San Diego, but that means for a good chunk of the year, he's essentially away from his home. Why do something like that if you don't have to? Find a good enough situation and home can be where the team is, much like several players do with Green Bay.

It's great if a player eats, sleeps, and breaths their job. But for many, their life outside of work has to factor in some. I'm sure it does for most everyone on this forum. Why would we think it would be so much different for NFL players? For the exceptions, sure, but not for all.

I see your point, and yeah, Green Bay doesn't really have that much to offer besides a very good team with a lot of history and I think the history is lost on most players. They don't really care.

When I say it doesn't have much to offer I'm not saying that its bad. I'd love to live there but that's what I am used to and I don't have the money to enjoy a lot of the things a larger city has to offer anyway. if I was an athlete making millions I might want a little more.

musccy
10 years ago

IMO for the majority of free agents the top 5 priorities are:

1 money
2 more money
3 contender
4 team (could mean city they play in)
5 money

Originally Posted by: sschind 

6. Jarius Byrd and TJ Ward played for Chip Kelley at Oregon (oh, btw, Philly, or at least their fans, REALLY want these guys).

7. As was alluded to before, GB isn't exactly a mecca for 25 year old single adult males also looking to market themselves. Contracts likely need to be greater in GB in many instances.

In addition to these priorities, just looking at Byrd and Ward, I know Cleveland, Buffalo, GB, and Philly (or at least their fans) are all interested in both of these players. Presumably there are many more teams as well which means that at the absolute bare minimum, two teams will be left disappointed and yelling at their GMs for being incompetent boobs, even if those GMs offered fair market value contracts. The bottom line is sometimes there are 6 guys at the dance and only 2 girls. If Ted doesn't land these or other F.A.s some of us are clamoring for, it doesn't mean reasonable, rationale efforts weren't made. Sometimes there just isn't mutual interest, or other factors at play dictate what happens.
dhazer
10 years ago
wow I was just looking at some of the cap space other teams have and all I can say is DAMNNNN for the Raiders, jags, browns and Colts

Here are the top 6 teams in cap space

6) Packers - 35,123,261
5) Vikings - 36,461,238
4) Colts - 40,907,029
3) Browns - 56,320,355
2) Jags - 59,338,624

and here is #1 Raiders - 64,907,921 they actually only have 70,342,079 in estimated salary cap right now lol.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago

wow I was just looking at some of the cap space other teams have and all I can say is DAMNNNN for the Raiders, jags, browns and Colts

Here are the top 6 teams in cap space

6) Packers - 35,123,261
5) Vikings - 36,461,238
4) Colts - 40,907,029
3) Browns - 56,320,355
2) Jags - 59,338,624

and here is #1 Raiders - 64,907,921 they actually only have 70,342,079 in estimated salary cap right now lol.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

I really think the Browns are poised for a big improvement. They were not a bad team last year and they have a lot of talent in a lot of places. It would really behoove them to resign Mack and Ward first of all. Of course they need a RB and a QB and a WR to pair with Gordon would be nice and while that seems like a lot keep in mind they have that 56+ million dollars and 2 first round picks this year. Could we see Watkins, a QB with the second #1 and Hyde in round 2. I think that would be enough right there to get Browns fans excited.

Obviously the Raiders and Jags could add some decent players a well but I don't think they are nearly as talented with what they currently have as the Browns are.

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (12h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (12h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.