buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
The Browns are reported to be very interested in Sam Shields, they have a lot of cap money also.

Only takes ONE team to decide to throw 9-10 mil(a year) at Sam and who can blame him if he takes it.

My stance all along was to get Sam signed BEFORE the start of Free Agency.

Even if The Packers had to move into the 6-7 mil range to do it.

Just seems Ted has decided to let Sam test the waters, and I have a bad feeling, The Browns or someone else will snatch him away.

One of the articles I read was talking about the Absolutely never used in The NFL, "sign and trade".

The Browns already have 2 1st rnd picks, so how about signing Sam Shields then Trade him and our 1st rnd pick for The Browns 1st picK(#4).

Would having the #4 pick overall in the draft be enough to offset the loss of Sam?

I say no, but if it looks like they are going to lose him anyway, why not give it a shot?
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
DakotaT
10 years ago

The Browns are reported to be very interested in Sam Shields, they have a lot of cap money also.

Only takes ONE team to decide to throw 9-10 mil(a year) at Sam and who can blame him if he takes it.

My stance all along was to get Sam signed BEFORE the start of Free Agency.

Even if The Packers had to move into the 6-7 mil range to do it.

Just seems Ted has decided to let Sam test the waters, and I have a bad feeling, The Browns or someone else will snatch him away.

One of the articles I read was talking about the Absolutely never used in The NFL, "sign and trade".

The Browns already have 2 1st rnd picks, so how about signing Sam Shields then Trade him and our 1st rnd pick for The Browns 1st picK(#4).

Would having the #4 pick overall in the draft be enough to offset the loss of Sam?

I say no, but if it looks like they are going to lose him anyway, why not give it a shot?

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

That's a pipe dream Buckeye. Now what would make feel better is landing Orakpo, Byrd, or Ward in free agency.

UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Based on the most recent history I wouldn't immediately blame Ted Thompson for anything. The guy supposedly initially offered Greg Jennings a good deal more than he ended up getting. He supposedly offered Raji more than he will probably end up getting. He gave more than fair deals to Brad Jones and Morgan Burnett. Not to mention Hawk. He doesn't really seem to "lowball" his own players so if there are issues with signing Sam it's probably got more to do with Sam(or his agent).

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Take the facts as you cite them: Thompson offered that much to Jennings; Thompson offered that much/anything at all to Raji; Thompson signed Brad Jones; And you don't want to blame him for any of that? Examples of not low-balling, yes - which hopefully means he will get the job done to retain Shields, but three horrible examples of bad judgment - thankfully only one of which - Jones - has harmed the team.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
gbguy20
10 years ago

That's a pipe dream Buckeye. Now what would make feel better is landing Orakpo, Byrd, or Ward in free agency.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

byrd will be testing free agency 🙂
10 years ago
Now would you rather pay Shields or Alterraun Verner?
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
10 years ago
shields
DakotaT
10 years ago
If Cleveland really wants to pay Shields 7 or 8 million, they can have him and we'll move on. Just frees up all our money for other players. We'll just be drafting a corner with one of our top three picks and hope Hayward, House, and Hyde can step up. Shields is not worth that kind of coin, and we should be happy for him and appreciate his contributions to our championship and those awesome wins in Soldier Field.
UserPostedImage
porky88
10 years ago

Now would you rather pay Shields or Alterraun Verner?

Originally Posted by: cheeseheads123 

Verner is better.

Shields is a good player, but he's not consistent enough to be great. He’s still young, so he could develop into a great player, but I haven’t seen him sustain success. I don’t trust him on an island against an elite receiver. He needs help, which rather defeats the purpose of paying him top dollar.

Now, I absolutely want Green Bay to re-sign him, but I don’t think losing him would be a crushing blow. Frankly, my preference is to prioritize Jermichael Finley over Shields.

Zero2Cool
10 years ago
cornerback Brent Grimes via a deal worth, per multiple reports, $32 million over four years

I think that pretty much sets the bar for Sam Shields. I'd like him back, but I just don't think he's worth that kinda cash per year.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
10 years ago

cornerback Brent Grimes via a deal worth, per multiple reports, $32 million over four years

I think that pretty much sets the bar for Sam Shields. I'd like him back, but I just don't think he's worth that kinda cash per year.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

$8M a year for Grimes? What the hell is Seattle going to have to pay Sherman? We have pretty decent corners behind Shields. Let's use the money strengthening other positions. Maybe renegotiating Tramon's contract to lock him up for another 3 years is in the cards too.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.