wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
10 years ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- No matter where Bryan Bulaga plays, regardless of whether David Bakhtiari remains at left tackle and whoever ends up playing center, the Green Bay Packers have more stability on their offensive line than they did last offseason.

It was nearly a year ago that coach Mike McCarthy and offensive line coach James Campen revamped the line by changing positions for four of the five starters. Bulaga and Josh Sitton switched from right tackle and right guard, respectively, to the left side.

Rob Demovsky  wrote:

I am looking for and expecting a step up for the OL this year. I don;t see them needing to add anyone during the draft unless they want to get a stud C
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
10 years ago
Having been a huge critic of the OL and coach over much of the last decade, I have a much better feeling about this group heading into 2014.
I think barring any serious injuries this bunch could be pretty damn good.
Not great, but much better.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Having been a huge critic of the OL and coach over much of the last decade, I have a much better feeling about this group heading into 2014.
I think barring any serious injuries this bunch could be pretty damn good.
Not great, but much better.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Who exactly are you assuming starts?

IF Sherrod suddenly plays like a first round pick, and IF Bulaga plays like he did several years ago, then, yeah, I feel the same way, but those are a couple of huge IFs.

If we settle for Bakhtiari and/or Barclay at the tackles, I can't see being very positive.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
yooperfan
10 years ago

Who exactly are you assuming starts?

IF Sherrod suddenly plays like a first round pick, and IF Bulaga plays like he did several years ago, then, yeah, I feel the same way, but those are a couple of huge IFs.

If we settle for Bakhtiari and/or Barclay at the tackles, I can't see being very positive.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I don't even factor in Sherrod, my hope for him is faint.
The OL without Bulaga played better in 13 than they did in 12 IMHO.
Bak and Barc got valuable playing time and experience under fire, they will improve.
IF Bulaga comes back and plays well that's another +.
I think EDS will be much better in 14 (if he doesn't walk).
The guards are good and should be better in 14.

Tex, this is just a gut feeling that I haven't had in years regarding the OL.
The problem, in my book, is still the coaching.
I think this group is poised to rise above that.

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
I hope your gut is right. I can't see it happening, though, with your scenario. I have been very unimpressed with Bakhtiari every time I've seen him. Barkley IMO over-achieved last year compared to his ability. I can't see him getting better.

If that's all there is, we will probably see our superstar QB running for his life most of the time again.

I'm hoping - albeit without reason - for Sherrod to step up and for Bulaga to return to his old self.
beast
10 years ago

I wonder what are the chances of Bulaga staying healthy... just seems like he's gotten hurt a couple years in a row now.

Also if Sherrod will become a very good back-up OT (or more).

And if they're going to resign D-Smith and if not, then who's starting at Center?
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

I hope your gut is right. I can't see it happening, though, with your scenario. I have been very unimpressed with Bakhtiari every time I've seen him. Barkley IMO over-achieved last year compared to his ability. I can't see him getting better.

If that's all there is, we will probably see our superstar QB running for his life most of the time again.

I'm hoping - albeit without reason - for Sherrod to step up and for Bulaga to return to his old self.

O-Line...5 guys playing as ONE unit. That's why it is important to resign EDS.

Tackle jobs: Why didn't McCarthy just announce at the combine that Bryan Bulaga would play right tackle and David Bakhtiari would remain at left tackle next season?

"I need to have that conversation," McCarthy said, referring to a talk with Bulaga.

A key factor why the Packers appear set to keep Bakhtiari on the left side is his harmony with left guard Josh Sitton.

"I liked the relationship between David and Josh, and to me it's more about the combination over there," said McCarthy. "They work well together. They're both wired mentally.

"David's young and raw, and he's got a lot to learn. The game comes very easily to Josh now."

Bulaga suffered a season-ending knee injury Aug. 3, three months into a move from right to left tackle. Immediately, Bakhtiari was installed as his replacement.

"Frankly, Bryan getting hurt as early as he did probably helped him (Bakhtiari) because he had a whole four weeks to get ready for the season," said McCarthy.

"David's a young kid. I think there's a lot of up side there. He needs to get bigger. He needs to get stronger. I really like David."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-brandon-bostick-readies-for-larger-role-b99215433z1-247972581.html#ixzz2ugxLta7m 
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
So based on that, it looks like we are stuck with Bakhtiari. I'm not exactly pleased about that, but maybe they see more in him in practice than he showed in games.
yooperfan
10 years ago

So based on that, it looks like we are stuck with Bakhtiari. I'm not exactly pleased about that, but maybe they see more in him in practice than he showed in games.

I'd say he acquitted himself quite well for a rookie on the hot side.
He's going to get bigger and better believe me.
Now Ted, get busy and sign EDS!

DakotaT
10 years ago

I'd say he acquitted himself quite well for a rookie on the hot side.
He's going to get bigger and better believe me.
Now Ted, get busy and sign EDS!

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

He's already a hell of lot better run blocker than we've had at the position in a very long time. I figure Bulaga is back at RT this year and LT will come down to Bacteria beating out Sherrod. I seem to be one of the few around here that hasn't given up on the Big Boy with the ideal measurables.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (9h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (12h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (14h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (16h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.