Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 4:18:55 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 247
Applause Received: 365

TotalPackers wrote:
According to a report, cornerback Sam Shields is seeking around $5 million annually from the Green Bay Packers. That's hardly an outrageous amount.

This is a NO-BRAINER if it is an accurate report!!!

I would consider Sam Shields a steal at 5.7 mil a year.

I don't give a damn whether he has made a probowl or not.

The report seems to be quoting Drew Rosenhouse.

DON'T BALK ON THIS ONE TED, that is if it's accurate.

Edited by user Saturday, February 22, 2014 4:33:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“"The preparation week is where you make your hay,You have to win the week first. That’s where a lot of the wins and losses come. It’s how you approach the week leading up to the game."
thanks Post received 3 applause.
DakotaT on 2/22/2014(UTC), texaspackerbacker on 2/22/2014(UTC), gbguy20 on 2/23/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline mi_keys  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 4:28:10 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 202
Applause Received: 340

I hope this is true and that we get this done.

Do I dare get my muppet hopes up that we can sign Shields for this amount, restructure Williams, let Raji go AND honestly have some money to sign a free agent or two that could help fill a hole on our defense while keeping all our current key pieces?

Pray

Born and bred a cheesehead
thanks Post received 1 applause.
musccy on 2/24/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 4:37:00 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,306
Applause Received: 577

Pay the man!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 5:01:27 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Originally Posted by: mi_keys Go to Quoted Post
I hope this is true and that we get this done.

Do I dare get my muppet hopes up that we can sign Shields for this amount, restructure Williams, let Raji go AND honestly have some money to sign a free agent or two that could help fill a hole on our defense while keeping all our current key pieces?

Pray

Raji is off the books as of 2013, but yes, if they could sign Sam at 5.7 mil, and extend Tramon to lower his cap # for 2014, The Packers could still have 30mil+ to work with to spend however they feel is right.

Tramon is going to count in the area of 9.5 mil in 2014, 7.5 is base salary, 2 mil is dead money(signing bonus money)
The Packers could extend him for 3 years, turn that 7.5 mil into a signing bonus, for this post let's make it easy and make it 8 mil signing bonus.
That could be spread out over 4 years(2mil a year), then pay him 1mil(2013), 3 mil (2014), 4mil(2015 and 2016).
Even if Tramon would end up playing out the full 4 years, his cap # would never be over 6 mil.

That would free up 4.5 mil in 2014(Ted would only use about 1 mil of the current 30mil available).

Today's NFL contracts are all about signing bonuses and guaranteed money, the rest as "they say" is agent window dressing.
“"The preparation week is where you make your hay,You have to win the week first. That’s where a lot of the wins and losses come. It’s how you approach the week leading up to the game."
musccy on 2/24/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 5:26:21 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 623
Applause Received: 1,299

UserPostedImage
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 6:31:23 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 300
Applause Received: 366

Man, for that amount that's a bargain. Pay him ASAP.
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline beast  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 7:33:12 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 150
Applause Received: 250

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
The report seems to be quoting Drew Rosenhouse

I think the report was quoting an unnamed "source familiar with Rosenhaus"... which doesn't give us a clue who the source is nor their real knowledge.

Because I'm a little bit familiar with Rosenhaus, so I could be a random source. Rosenhaus has a bad rep but really he doesn't like wasting time and tries to go hard after what his client wants and get it down fast as he can. Really he's not bad, just goes after what the client wants (which sometimes isn't realist) and he's an attention hog and will take as much of it as he can get.

But the report has Tom Silverstein, and Silverstein takes the sources stuff VERY serious (maybe a bit too serious?) anyways his sources haven't been perfect but he gets the best info he can.

Also the unnamed source said they was basing it off that other deal... it doesn't say how closely or what part they're basing it off of. Shields could want 6.3 million a year (or more) with baseing four years and 50% be guaranteed, and 8 million in the first could be the base off the deal.

Bu yeah anyways under 6 million a year doesn't seem that bad, then again I don't think we've gone though and compared every single play like the Packers did. Shields could be worse than fans think and the fans just missed it because the Safeties are HORRIBLE last year. Though I think Shields did pretty well but I'm honestly surprised they're not looking for over 6 million (then again maybe they are we don't know).
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
wpr on 2/22/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 8:57:57 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,752
Applause Received: 1,322

I don't care for rosey at all. I am suspect of the "source". Even if he frustrates the hell out of us Uncle Teddy isn't stupid. The deal with get done sometime before training camp. We just have to wait no matter how much it stinks to wait.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline beast  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 9:04:23 PM(UTC)
beast

UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
thanks Post received 2 applause.
musccy on 2/24/2014(UTC), DoddPower on 2/24/2014(UTC)
Offline Laser Gunns  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 10:55:37 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 38
Applause Received: 218

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post

In my opinion,

This is your best post.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
DoddPower on 2/23/2014(UTC)
Offline beast  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 4:47:56 PM(UTC)
beast

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
This is a NO-BRAINER if it is an accurate report!!!

I would consider Sam Shields a steal at 5.7 mil a year.

I don't give a damn whether he has made a probowl or not.

The report seems to be quoting Drew Rosenhouse.

DON'T BALK ON THIS ONE TED, that is if it's accurate.

Then you should applaud it!

As you think it's an improvement right?

UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 8:20:50 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
Then you should applaud it!

As you think it's an improvement right?

????????
Shrug Shrug
Offline Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 6:01:14 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,846
Applause Received: 2,004

I think Sam Shields is the best corner on the team. Mainly because he is very quick on closing to the WR and ball which covers up most mistakes. He's definitely worth $6 million a year to the Packers. Sign him on a 4 year deal worth $28 million with a $4 million bonus up front.

This contract stuff is easy!

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline sschind  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 9:31:59 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 101
Applause Received: 390

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I think Sam Shields is the best corner on the team. Mainly because he is very quick on closing to the WR and ball which covers up most mistakes. He's definitely worth $6 million a year to the Packers. Sign him on a 4 year deal worth $28 million with a $4 million bonus up front.

This contract stuff is easy!

I think its going to take a lot more guaranteed money than that to get him to agree. The overall amount may be OK but I think it will take at least 10 million guaranteed, maybe 12 to get him to sign. That doesn't have to be all SB though. Guarantee him a 4 million dollar salary this year or 1 million and a roster bonus or however you want to split it up, on top of an 8 million SB that makes his guaranteed money 12 million and a cap hit this year 6 million. It leaves 16 million to distribute in salary/ roster bonuses over the next three years. The last year includes a 8 million dollar salary. As long as he is playing decent he will be pretty much guaranteed 21 million (we probably wouldn't cut him in years 2 and 3 if he is playing at a high level with cap hits of 6 million per year. It leaves us with 2 million in dead money in year 4 if we cut him.

I just don't think a 4 million bonus up front will cut it unless you guarantee part of the rest of the contact as well. You could go your route and guarantee a 6 million dollar contract this year with a 4 million dollar bonus for a total of 10 million guaranteed and it would lessen the dead money but the cap hits would be a little higher.

The point, yours and mine, is if he will take an average of 6 million per year (actually 7 with our numbers) it is extremely doable and will be stupid if they don't get something done. All that is left to work out are the details.

Edited by user Monday, February 24, 2014 9:51:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 12:17:42 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 389
Applause Received: 224

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
I think its going to take a lot more guaranteed money than that to get him to agree. The overall amount may be OK but I think it will take at least 10 million guaranteed, maybe 12 to get him to sign. That doesn't have to be all SB though. Guarantee him a 4 million dollar salary this year or 1 million and a roster bonus or however you want to split it up, on top of an 8 million SB that makes his guaranteed money 12 million and a cap hit this year 6 million. It leaves 16 million to distribute in salary/ roster bonuses over the next three years. The last year includes a 8 million dollar salary. As long as he is playing decent he will be pretty much guaranteed 21 million (we probably wouldn't cut him in years 2 and 3 if he is playing at a high level with cap hits of 6 million per year. It leaves us with 2 million in dead money in year 4 if we cut him.

I just don't think a 4 million bonus up front will cut it unless you guarantee part of the rest of the contact as well. You could go your route and guarantee a 6 million dollar contract this year with a 4 million dollar bonus for a total of 10 million guaranteed and it would lessen the dead money but the cap hits would be a little higher.

The point, yours and mine, is if he will take an average of 6 million per year (actually 7 with our numbers) it is extremely doable and will be stupid if they don't get something done. All that is left to work out are the details.

I think you're right about the guaranteed money thing. Either way, though, it is advantageous for the team to make the bonus bigger and the term longer.

How about $34 million for six years with $9 million bonus and $1 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 5 / 7 million per year?

That would be just a $2.5 million cap hit the first year, and still fairly tolerable after that. The only way this is bad is if we think Shields won't stay good for 5 years or so.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Rss Feed