QCHuskerFan
10 years ago

We were 25th in yards and 24th in points.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=2&season=2013&role=OPP&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&qualified=false 

I'm not going to spend the time right now to pull up the statistics on defense winning titles. This was discussed at length on the forum some years ago and members went back through every single season from 1967 through to the (at the time) present. Defense was the better indicator for success and overwhelmingly so.

I will say, you are focused on yards, which is the wrong statistic. Points win games. Points are what matter. Not surprisingly, points paint a much better picture of a defense's strength and how successful teams have been. By the way, your #7 Texans were #24 in points. Real power house that is.

Also, the bit about "prototypical franchise quarterbacks" is a farce. If we go back to 2000, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Ben Roethlisberger (twice), Eli Manning (twice), Joe Flacco and Russell Wilson have all been a part of Super Bowl winning teams.

Dilfer and Johnson are shit; Flacco and Eli Manning are average. Roethlisberger set the record for worst QB rating (22.6) in a Super Bowl when he won "his" first (though sexy Rexy now holds that distinction with his 7.1) and was shit for the first 58 minutes of "his" second win. He's one of the most overrated QBs of all time thanks to his two rings. He's good, but he doesn't touch the status of the elite quarterbacks; and it's quite rich that you bring up the Steelers when their titles were won largely on the back of their defenses. Russell Wilson is fine. If those are your "prototypical franchise quarterbacks" then half the league has one.

And even when we look at the elite quarterbacks, they often had elite defenses accompany them when they won Super Bowls. Brady's 2001, 2003 and 2004 Pats had the 6th, 1st and 2nd ranked scoring defenses. Rodgers' Packers has the 2nd scoring defense.

The QB may be the most important single position in the game, but the defense is still the more important side of the ball. It's time we fixed ours.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

Sorry I didn't quote the statistics that you deem most important. I will learn from my mistake.

I am not and have never said that Defense was not important.

WHAT I AM SAYING IS THAT DEFENSE IS NOT IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO MORTGAGE OUR FUTURE ON ONE ROLL OF THE DICE AND TRADE FUTURE #1 PICKS AWAY.
steveishere
10 years ago

steve, the shotgun approach could work this draft, given it seems loaded with talent. Ted would have to really hit. I thought last year's draft was quite possibly his best ever at the time. Out of the 11 players drafted last year, we received significant contributions from 3: Lacy, Bakhtiari and Hyde.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

It's loaded with talent but not necessarily the top heavy kind of talent. A lot of the talent are more unproven underclassmen that don't have as much film on them as the more veteran guys. Those guys are going to be available in the mid-later rounds. Like I said there is a record number of underclassmen in this draft that NFL teams haven't done years of scouting on like other players so a lot of good players that would have been drafted much higher in a year or two are going to fall through the cracks and be available but you have to be able to find them. If there's ever a draft to have more picks this is it.
musccy
10 years ago

Dude, you are talking about a 3-4 year window of team building to make SEA the winner it was last season. Is that how long you want to wait, till Rodgers has maybe one or two years left? Not me.

The problem we face is we are currently poised offensively, and incredibly deficient defensively. We just need to add the best playmakers we can to turn that around and be a very, very solid team. I would prefer we did that this offseason, as opposed to stretching it out over however many years, by making some bold moves with draft day trades and FA signings or player trades to add the right players. I don't mind pushing all the chips in at this point. It could be really good for this team.

Do you know how many Pro Bowlers there have been from the first round of the last two drafts? 9...COMBINED, and of that only 3 defensive players (Eric Reed 2013, Luke Kuechly 2012, Dontari Poe 2012) so the likelihood of the Packers selecting the immediate solution to solve all our deficiencies for 2014 is extremely unlikely, and all it does is hurt future years (Julio Jones trade has already been mentioned, Ricky Williams, RG3 trade...I could go on).

If you can prove that the immediate splash has and will work, I'm all ears. I just don't see compelling evidence that moving up into round 1 is either stable for the long term, or that it's even all that effective in the short term.
play2win
10 years ago

Do you know how many Pro Bowlers there have been from the first round of the last two drafts? 9...COMBINED, and of that only 3 defensive players (Eric Reed 2013, Luke Kuechly 2012, Dontari Poe 2012) so the likelihood of the Packers selecting the immediate solution to solve all our deficiencies for 2014 is extremely unlikely, and all it does is hurt future years (Julio Jones trade has already been mentioned, Ricky Williams, RG3 trade...I could go on).

If you can prove that the immediate splash has and will work, I'm all ears. I just don't see compelling evidence that moving up into round 1 is either stable for the long term, or that it's even all that effective in the short term.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Yeah, you could indeed go on. Me too... Pretty easy to list all the failed trades, but I know what you are saying. No one can prove anything at this point regarding sure locks to turn our team and defense around.

I was just thinking if Ted wanted to trade away from next year's draft to land a particular player that he wanted, I wouldn't mind seeing it happen. I'm throwing a lot of trust Ted's way in saying that. At least, he would be doing something proactive in an attempt to help his team contend in 2014.

Can he somehow bounce into R1 twice? Who knows, but he did it in 2009, and it paid big dividends. Maybe there is someone special sitting there still at the top of R2 that he wants. I wouldn't have a problem with him trading away picks to get the specific players he thinks will help turn this defense around.

Also, wouldn't it be cool to add a serious WR talent to our roster, some 6-5 dude who catches everything…? If we make a trade, we could pull something like that off while still adding the defensive talent we need. Especially so if we utilize FA correctly.

It really is such a complete crap shoot. I'm just hoping Ted can take the crap out of the shoot… and land some top talents. This is another reason why I want him to get a good FA, or make a trade for a veteran top talent or two. We could use a big infusion of playmakers on D. And, as steve mentioned, maybe the correct move is down, if they can indeed land the players they want and need. Who knows?

Can you imagine if we had drafted both Reid and Kuechly with trades up? That's kind of what I'm getting at. I would not mind seeing that kind of impact added to this Packers team, even if it meant Ted had to trade away from next year.
musccy
10 years ago

Can you imagine if we had drafted both Reid and Kuechly with trades up? That's kind of what I'm getting at. I would not mind seeing that kind of impact added to this Packers team, even if it meant Ted had to trade away from next year.

Of course that'd be great right now, but if you knew that those two were going to be the best of the 2012 draft back in April of 2012, then props to you, you knew what no other GM did because no other GM traded up for two pro bowlers.

Justin Harrell, Jamal Reynolds, and Sherrod haven't worked for the Packers...they were drafted roughly the same position in the draft so theoretically they're just as likely to pan out as Kuechly and Reid but clearly they didn't. The Browns and Redskins didn't anticipate Weeden and RG3 to have the struggles they've had.

If Ted does a modest trade up, or makes some modest moves in FA, I'm not going to call for his head, but...
mi_keys
10 years ago

Sorry I didn't quote the statistics that you deem most important. I will learn from my mistake.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

Sorry, but I wasn't the one that determined points, not yards, win football games 130+ years ago.

I am not and have never said that Defense was not important.

WHAT I AM SAYING IS THAT DEFENSE IS NOT IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO MORTGAGE OUR FUTURE ON ONE ROLL OF THE DICE AND TRADE FUTURE #1 PICKS AWAY.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

UserPostedImage

That's great. I'm not in the trade away future draft picks camp either or mortgage the current draft for one big move in the first round. I still found that first post I quoted to be bs.

Source for image:
http://maddox.xmission.com/hatemail.cgi?p=1 
Born and bred a cheesehead
play2win
10 years ago

Of course that'd be great right now, but if you knew that those two were going to be the best of the 2012 draft back in April of 2012, then props to you, you knew what no other GM did because no other GM traded up for two pro bowlers.

Justin Harrell, Jamal Reynolds, and Sherrod haven't worked for the Packers...they were drafted roughly the same position in the draft so theoretically they're just as likely to pan out as Kuechly and Reid but clearly they didn't. The Browns and Redskins didn't anticipate Weeden and RG3 to have the struggles they've had.

If Ted does a modest trade up, or makes some modest moves in FA, I'm not going to call for his head, but...

Really man? I never said anything of the sort that I knew those players would be great. Just imagining how great it would have been for Ted to have known and to have made the moves to get them…

I would love for Ted to get some true impact players like that added to our D.
QCHuskerFan
10 years ago

We were 25th in yards and 24th in points.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=2&season=2013&role=OPP&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&qualified=false 

I'm not going to spend the time right now to pull up the statistics on defense winning titles. This was discussed at length on the forum some years ago and members went back through every single season from 1967 through to the (at the time) present. Defense was the better indicator for success and overwhelmingly so.

I will say, you are focused on yards, which is the wrong statistic. Points win games. Points are what matter. Not surprisingly, points paint a much better picture of a defense's strength and how successful teams have been. By the way, your #7 Texans were #24 in points. Real power house that is.

Also, the bit about "prototypical franchise quarterbacks" is a farce. If we go back to 2000, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Ben Roethlisberger (twice), Eli Manning (twice), Joe Flacco and Russell Wilson have all been a part of Super Bowl winning teams.

Dilfer and Johnson are shit; Flacco and Eli Manning are average. Roethlisberger set the record for worst QB rating (22.6) in a Super Bowl when he won "his" first (though sexy Rexy now holds that distinction with his 7.1) and was shit for the first 58 minutes of "his" second win. He's one of the most overrated QBs of all time thanks to his two rings. He's good, but he doesn't touch the status of the elite quarterbacks; and it's quite rich that you bring up the Steelers when their titles were won largely on the back of their defenses. Russell Wilson is fine. If those are your "prototypical franchise quarterbacks" then half the league has one.

And even when we look at the elite quarterbacks, they often had elite defenses accompany them when they won Super Bowls. Brady's 2001, 2003 and 2004 Pats had the 6th, 1st and 2nd ranked scoring defenses. Rodgers' Packers has the 2nd scoring defense.

The QB may be the most important single position in the game, but the defense is still the more important side of the ball. It's time we fixed ours.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

Based on Scoring Defense, in the 2013 Super Bowl, the #12 team beat the #2 team. Based on yardage, the #17 team beat the #3. Clearly, points tell a much different story...

In that same year, the Seahawks were the #1 Scoring Defense. #2 was the 49ers. #3 was the Bears. Wait. What? But the Bears didn't even make the playoffs. Neither did the #6 or #7 Scoring D. How can that be when the most important thing is defense?

In 2012, 10 of the top 12 Scoring Offenses made the playoffs. The only 2 that didn't were the Saints and Giants. Those 2 teams had won 2 of the previous 3 Super Bowls. So essentially 100% of the top Scoring offenses in 2012 were relevant.

In 2013, 9 of the top 12 Scoring Offenses and Scoring Defenses were in the playoffs. Doesn't appear that Defense is the more important side.

I bet the Ravens wish they knew that you didn't think Flacco was a franchise QB before they gave him that huge contract. Bet they'll check with you next time.

Knowledgeable football people would consider Roethlisburger, Manning and Flacco to be franchise QB's. All they've done is win 5 of the last 9 Super Bowls. The fact that you don't isn't surprising.

The trend in the NFL for the last 20 years has been to encourage offense. To deny that is ridiculous. To state that Defense is more important than Offense is ludicrous.

musccy
10 years ago

Really man? I never said anything of the sort that I knew those players would be great. Just imagining how great it would have been for Ted to have known and to have made the moves to get them…

I would love for Ted to get some true impact players like that added to our D.

I don't get the point you're trying to make. Of course it'd be nice to have Kuechly and Poe - 31 other teams feel the same way right now.

Are you trying to say "in a dream world it'd be nice if they were in Packer's uniforms" or that Ted should have known better and moved up and selected them?

play2win
10 years ago

I don't get the point you're trying to make. Of course it'd be nice to have Kuechly and Poe - 31 other teams feel the same way right now.

Are you trying to say "in a dream world it'd be nice if they were in Packer's uniforms" or that Ted should have known better and moved up and selected them?

I guess it would be more in line with the "in a dream world" scenario. Hey, this is a discussion, and a man can dream can't he? Actually, maybe it is a bit of both. As a GM of one of the best teams in the NFL, and with all of the resources they pour into talent evaluation, maybe Ted might have known better to make a bold move, rather than sitting back in a more comfortable, conservative stance.

The bigger point attached to this is imagining if Ted had actually traded up into those prime spots to take those players, and how differently we may have fared. We could have been a much more balanced team, and could have been more of a true contender last season and the season before.

We could stand to add impactful players much like those mentioned. They rarely fall in your lap. But really, this is all speculation amongst us fans, looking back with the benefit of hindsight.

I was simply thinking, wow, what it may have been like had we made some bolder moves and added players like that to this D. Thinking of what this team might be now. The difficult part is looking at what this team is now, and seeing many players added over the last 3 years not panning out, and the holes left to fill in this roster.

Daniels is an exception. Hayward may have some promise based on his rookie year play. Datone Jones could be an ace in the hole if he develops (but I haven't seen anything to make me feel confident that he will be special). Hyde looks like a safe player added to our D, with a bit of a speed limitation. Josh Boyd seems promising after the little bit he got to play.

Nick Perry? The guy has gone MIA far too often. R1 2011
Jerel Worthy? He didn't do much before his ACL, now he's a year out and I don't hold out hope that he will be a big contributor, and I hope I'm wrong there. R2 2011
Sam Barrington - I'm really hopeful he shows something next season. R7 2013
Nate Palmer - Same. R6 2013
McMillian is gone. R4 2012
Manning is gone. R5 2012
Davon House. What do you say? R4 2011
DJ Smith is gone. R6 2011
Ricky Elmore is gone. R6 2011
Lawrence Guy is gone. R7 2011

So, that's ONE player who has contributed and developed pretty well within that 3 year span. Mike Daniels, going into his 3rd year with the team. Another, Casey Hayward, showed incredible promise as a rookie, then was lost to injury his entire 2nd season. Datone didn't really play. Hyde played a lot and shows promise. Boyd hardly played. These are our best 5 players added to our D over this 3 year span.

10 players either are no longer with the team (5), or have failed to contribute (5).

Don't you think Ted maybe should have known better? It is his job to know. How is this shotgun thing working, adding all those picks? Right now, I would say it is not working. I would rather we added (at least) one true impact player per year on D with a more aggressive approach. Yeah, take some chances, trade away a bit to move up and get the goods.

Otherwise, we are left with players like Nick Perry as the best of a very sorry looking group of 10 players Ted chose to take in the manner he prefers. All ten of them could be classified as failures.

Ted needs to do a better job, period. The staff also needs to do a better job of getting these players developed. I thought it was a travesty Datone Jones hardly saw the field last season.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (18h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (19h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (22h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.