play2win
10 years ago
I've always wondered about this and why so many people are opposed to trading away from next year's draft. To me, it seems we have a window of opportunity, and we are in DIRE need of upgrades at so many positions. Why wait? The player you trade up for will be on your roster with a year's experience under his belt next year.

We have so many needs, that I am hoping Ted makes a change in his philosophy and goes all in this May in the draft. I would love for him to land a couple of top talents trading up like he did in 2009 with the additions of Raji and Matthews. That trade up helped us win a SB.

I'd gladly trade away our R1 for 2015 if it would help us eliminate our problems on D, which right now are vast.
beast
10 years ago

I think because you normal lose value that way... like say a 1st round next year is worth a 2nd round this year ... while that might not be true that's normally how draft picks are traded.. get one round this year but have to give up your pick in the next higher round the next.

If there is a good player for it then you can surely think about trying it though, I think Ted Thompson has said he doesn't like trading draft picks from one year to another as he prefers to have it balance out more and you never know when one year will be really good and the next one won't be or vice versa
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago
Ted takes the long view, and I'm glad he does that. He does not mortgage the future, or we wouldn't have had a chance the last few years.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
10 years ago

Ted takes the long view, and I'm glad he does that. He does not mortgage the future, or we wouldn't have had a chance the last few years.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Since first ballot hall of famers don't fall from the sky, how many more years do we have to win some more Super Bowls? Favre, Rodgers, ? do we have a long view, or a shorter window than we think?
UserPostedImage
dhazer
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I say we go the other way and trade our 1st this year for a 1st next year to a team like the jags or Browns :)

Look what the Rams got from trading away their 2nd overall pick 2 years ago for 3 1st round picks and now this year they have the 2nd overall pick from the redskins and then they have their own pick at #13.

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago

Since first ballot hall of famers don't fall from the sky, how many more years do we have to win some more Super Bowls? Favre, Rodgers, ? do we have a long view, or a shorter window than we think?

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Mike can do with Tolzien what he did with Rich Gannon. We'll see how he develops. Could be the next Hasselbeck.

At any rate, I'm not going to live in fear of the future. We developed the guy we've got now, nothing says we couldn't do it again. And btw, this team has won 12 world championships without him!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
10 years ago

I say we go the other way and trade our 1st this year for a 1st next year to a team like the jags or Browns :)

Look what the Rams got from trading away their 2nd overall pick 2 years ago for 3 1st round picks and now this year they have the 2nd overall pick from the redskins and then they have their own pick at #13.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

And If I were the Rams I'd trade it away again. With so many teams needing a QB someone (vikings maybe) might be willing to swap places and throw in a few extra picks. Maybe and second and a 4th.

In our case we don't have the #2 pick we have the #23 pick. I doubt the Jags would trade their #1 next year, which will likely be a top 5 pick for the #23 pick this year. That would be just stupid. Which means maybe the Browns would do it.

I missed the smiley at the end of you post. I answered as if you were making a serious suggestion. That may not be the case, sorry.
steveishere
10 years ago
I don't see an extra 2nd round pick being the solution to our problems and at an unknown cost. If some badass prospect for whatever reason falls to the second round that's one thing but going into the draft planning to trade a future 1st for some as yet unknown player... that's just silly.

Problem is you don't know what you are giving away, Rodgers could go out for the year week 1 and we end up with a top 5 pick next year. Not only do we lost the top 5 pick then we also lost it for some player that probably ended up being irrelevant for that season anyways. Not really worth it.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
Earlier this week I was looking at Walter's site. They feel the 2015 draft will have more quality players than the 2014 draft.

They would lose 2 ways. Giving up a 1st for a 2nd or a 2nd for a 3rd. Who every they draft this year would need to be rated a round higher on their board than they take him. And the player they lose out on next year would be better than who ever is picked in that spot in the 2014 draft.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago

Earlier this week I was looking at Walter's site. They feel the 2015 draft will have more quality players than the 2014 draft.

They would lose 2 ways. Giving up a 1st for a 2nd or a 2nd for a 3rd. Who every they draft this year would need to be rated a round higher on their board than they take him. And the player they lose out on next year would be better than who ever is picked in that spot in the 2014 draft.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I could see Ted taking advantage of an arbitrage opportunity of that sort.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (16h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (19h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (21h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.