warhawk
10 years ago
I can't see McCarthy moving guys all over on the Oline. Ideally, they sign EDS and then:

See if Bahkitari makes that 2nd year leap and holds his job or if Bulaga earns it back. If not put Bulaga over at RT. That would actually be the ideal scenario if it panned out like that. Very little change (helps overall line play). Improved play at both tackle positions (helps overall line play too).

The wild card would be Sherrod with the talent he has that he has not been able to show to this point but that's certainly not a bad thing.

Again, I can't see them screwing around with the Oline. Arod went down for half the year and it was a disaster so IMO the last thing they will do is move people all over the place.

And precisely why the will sign EDS. They know he can play and he happens to squat right in front of the guy that nobody can ever say again this team can win consistently without.

"The train is leaving the station."
DakotaT
10 years ago
I'd don't think resigning EDS is a bad idea, and just going with the boys we currently have on the roster. We have three decent tackles, and I have my fingers crossed that Sherrod makes it all the way back and earns the LT position, but I'm good with Bacteria too. It's a dream to have a line like the Sherminator gave us, but I'd rather go heavy on defense this off season, cause that side of the ball needs the attention.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
(shaking head)

I actually like EDS. I don't think he's the weakest link of the OL.

I think he's really good ... for a backup position.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but debating between players who have demonstrated, at most, that they qualify as "serviceable" and those who might have "potential" for more, is a recipe for disaster.

The goal should not be to have an adequate OL. It should never be to have an adequate line. It should never be to have a serviceable OL. The goal should be to have a dominant line. A great line.

A great line makes an offense unstoppable. A serviceable line threatens the health of the Hall of Fame quarterback that is essential to that unstoppable offense.

Yes, the defense is a bigger train wreck. So it has to be a bigger priority overall. But however much of that train wreck can be cleaned up in one off season, it doesn't matter if Rodgers gets hurt. And, ISTM, if you approach the OL as "we're ok with serviceable and waiting for Tretter or Bahktiari or some pre-March "free agent servicable guys" to improve it, you're just risking #12 again.

The Packers were lucky that the injury last year was a collarbone. What if the next one is to the throwing shoulder or elbow? Or a concussion? Or a major knee injury?

Quarterbacks get injured. It's a reality of the game. But IMO you ought to be doing everything you can to ensure that they face as few hits as possible. And if you are continually content with combinations of "serviceable" and "potential for growth" and "late round picks", IMO you aren't doing everything you can.

IMO the Packers aren't going to be bona fide championship contender until they fix the defense. But they are also just one missed block away from having the same issues at quarterback as every other team in the NFC North.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
We were marginally decent in the interior last year, and horrible at OT. Ideally, as was said, Sherrod can play like a first rounder and Bulaga can play like he did several years ago. That would take care of things, but it is way short of a sure thing. I have no confidence in Bakhtiari, and Barclay is back up quality at best.

As for Center, like somebody said, if EDS signs, he will start. I think they are letting him shop around, and if nobody offers him what he wants, the Packers will sign him for less. That seems to say they think highly of Tretter.

As for the original topic, probably it's just sour grapes/excuses from the Van Roten people, but there is a chance the Packers did tell him that, and they don't care if EDS does leave. I'd hate to see that, because he did do a serviceable job, and Tretter is a unproven.

The bottom line, though, is that with Aaron Rodgers, Eddie Lacy, and our wideouts, we simply don't need all that great an O Line to have one of the best offenses in the NFL. Sure, I'd like it to get better, but the fact is, we don't absolutely need it.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

(shaking head)

I actually like EDS. I don't think he's the weakest link of the OL.

I think he's really good ... for a backup position.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but debating between players who have demonstrated, at most, that they qualify as "serviceable" and those who might have "potential" for more, is a recipe for disaster.

The goal should not be to have an adequate OL. It should never be to have an adequate line. It should never be to have a serviceable OL. The goal should be to have a dominant line. A great line.

A great line makes an offense unstoppable. A serviceable line threatens the health of the Hall of Fame quarterback that is essential to that unstoppable offense.

Yes, the defense is a bigger train wreck. So it has to be a bigger priority overall. But however much of that train wreck can be cleaned up in one off season, it doesn't matter if Rodgers gets hurt. And, ISTM, if you approach the OL as "we're ok with serviceable and waiting for Tretter or Bahktiari or some pre-March "free agent servicable guys" to improve it, you're just risking #12 again.

The Packers were lucky that the injury last year was a collarbone. What if the next one is to the throwing shoulder or elbow? Or a concussion? Or a major knee injury?

Quarterbacks get injured. It's a reality of the game. But IMO you ought to be doing everything you can to ensure that they face as few hits as possible. And if you are continually content with combinations of "serviceable" and "potential for growth" and "late round picks", IMO you aren't doing everything you can.

IMO the Packers aren't going to be bona fide championship contender until they fix the defense. But they are also just one missed block away from having the same issues at quarterback as every other team in the NFC North.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Then what is the answer?
The Packers have committed to the players on the roster, everyone of the O-line I mentioned are under contract except EDS.
Is there a better option available via Free Agency?
and if there is, can The Packers afford to sign that option without blowing up the salary cap?
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago

Then what is the answer?
The Packers have committed to the players on the roster, everyone of the O-line I mentioned are under contract except EDS.
Is there a better option available via Free Agency?
and if there is, can The Packers afford to sign that option without blowing up the salary cap?

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

That, sir, is exactly my point. The Packers commitment has been to "serviceable" and "development of potential" for years. There is, alas, no route to OL dominance that isn't going to take 2-3 years or multiple major free agent acquisitions.

Exactly like it has been for a nine years. I don't expect Ted Thompson to be able to make a dominant OL in 1 year. But he's had 9. And you apologists are making exactly the same arguments they were making in his first year.

Nine years of one home run (Sitton) and "serviceable" and "potential" ls not a commitment to greatness. It is being content with average.

I am *not* calling for TT's head. That's silly. But, IMO, he does need to do something, something major with the way the team decides on its OL roster. Maybe its more free agency, maybe its shaking up the personnel department and getting better scouts of OL players, maybe its telling McCarthy he needs to replace Campen and find someone who can develop that annual potential into dominance. Maybe it's some combination of all three.

I don't know.

I just don't think that anyone should be content with the approach that has been used for the OL for the last 9 years.

"Serviceable" is for also-rans. Nine years of "potential" that has developed into something between "mediocre" and "serviceable" is being content with woulda-coulda-shoulda.

More is expected.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Daryn Colledge was the other home run and the dipstick Thompson let him go to the Cardinals where he's been stellar. Imagine if the Packer still had both Sitton and College manning the G position? My lord!

LT- Sherrod
LG - Colledge
C - Fred Flinstone
RG - Sitton
RT - Bulaga

And then you have that #69 David B. as top T backup. Not friggin bad at all.

BTW, Packers can't get too big at Center because Rodgers prefers a certain butt height. n0j0ke
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
Yes, yes, Mrs. Colledge, we know how you feel about your main squeeze. [grin1]

By the way, I just looked up some past drafts. Even Bart Starr (who everyone, including him, agrees was over his head as GM) had more players (one) play up to their "potential" after being drafted than Ted Thompson in less than half the time.

Greg Koch wasn't a Hall of Famer, but compared to what Bulaga, Colledge, Bahktiari, et al have shown, he was a stud OT for years.

Again, if you are content for almost a decade with the Colledges (even the St. Louis version, rofl), Bulagas (as shown so far), Langs, and Bahktiari (as shown so far), then you are insufficiently committed to your quarterback's health. IMO.

Overall, Starr was abysmal as GM and Ted Thompson has been very good. Starr needed to be fired, and Ted Thompson does not. But in this one area, assessment of and acquisition and development of OL talent, I'm not sure Ted Thompson is any better than Starr was. If he is, the difference is measurable in millimeters.

GermanGilbert
10 years ago

Daryn Colledge was the other home run and the dipstick Thompson let him go to the Cardinals where he's been stellar. Imagine if the Packer still had both Sitton and College manning the G position? My lord!

LT- Sherrod
LG - Colledge
C - Fred Flinstone
RG - Sitton
RT - Bulaga

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Don't forget that former Packers OT who just earned his SB ring a few days ago 😉
blank
steveishere
10 years ago

Nine years of one home run (Sitton) and "serviceable" and "potential" ls not a commitment to greatness. It is being content with average.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

The problem is you call players like Lang and EDS "serviceable" or "back up quality" when they are clearly better than that. Nobody has an o-line filled with Sitton quality players and that's just ridiculous if that's your standard. I'd say there are few if any teams that even have all Lang quality players.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (7h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.