buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

I don't know man. Our OL was indeed responsible for Aaron having to break out of the pocket. Moreso Bakhtiari being manhandled by Peppers, forcing Rodgers out to his right, than Barclay. There was no pocket. Peppers blew it up inside.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I don't know what play you are watching, Rodgers had no pressure on him, he did what he has done many times,(instead of throwing the ball away), he saw what he thought was a chance to extend the play by breaking the pocket, Barclay is expecting him to drop back and get rid of the ball, Peppers is nowhere near Aaron until he breaks to the right, again screwing Barclay big time.

Look Aaron scrambling has worked many times, just so happens that play he got caught trying to extend the play.

I guess Barcvlay is supposed to have eyes in the back of his head.

Whether The Packers bring EDS back or not, the rest of the line is going to be solid with plenty of depth. if they stay healthy.

I just prefer EDS back so there is no adjustments needing to be made a the center position.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
play2win
10 years ago

I don't know what play you are watching, Rodgers had no pressure on him, he did what he has done many times,(instead of throwing the ball away), he saw what he thought was a chance to extend the play by breaking the pocket, Barclay is expecting him to drop back and get rid of the ball, Peppers is nowhere near Aaron until he breaks to the right, again screwing Barclay big time.

Look Aaron scrambling has worked many times, just so happens that play he got caught trying to extend the play.

I guess Barcvlay is supposed to have eyes in the back of his head.

Whether The Packers bring EDS back or not, the rest of the line is going to be solid with plenty of depth. if they stay healthy.

I just prefer EDS back so there is no adjustments needing to be made a the center position.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

I watched the same play. I guess we have a different take on what Aaron's options were on that, and why. Stop watching Barclay, as he was not at fault. Watch Bakhtiari. His failed block allowed Peppers to bust the pocket completely, forcing Aaron to his right.

Yeah, it happens. Aaron has created many a great play outside the pocket. This time is just happened to cost him half a season with a broken collar bone. But, saying the OL was not responsible ignores a failed block that forced Aaron into trouble. Right?
play2win
10 years ago

Did you read what I said at all? My point about "big gap between Sitton and Lang" is the point that there are multiple levels of play. I do NOT believe we have to get Sitton level players to improve over the performance of Lang, Bulaga, et al.

There have been great offensive lines, and none of them have been All-Pros across the line. But all of them have been better, a lot better, than the Packer OL during the Thompson/McCarthy years.

I'm sorry, but the "we can't afford more" won't wash with me. Not over a nine year period. Yeah, they have a lot of money invested in Lang. They also have a lot of money invested in Brad Jones. Sometimes money is badly invested. Nine years of putting your NFL money in the Langs and Jones of the world is evidence of bad investment strategy.

The Packers may have no way of paying for improvement in the OL this year. Given the problems on defense, I won't dispute this.

But, one last time, this has not been a one year failure. This has been close to a decade of inability to put together a dominant line.

Call it being content, call it being frugal, call it being satisfied, blame it on injuries, blame it on being left in salary cap hell by Sherman, blame it on not being able to draft high enough, blame it on not coaching people up enough, call it whatever you damn want. Whatever you blame it on, the Packers have not had a dominant offensive line in the entire Ted Thompson/Mike McCarthy era.

I call it unacceptable.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

I believe this is true. We haven't had a dominant OL. Not at all. Aaron's ability to get the ball out quicker than most QBs in the NFL has made whoever we've thrown out there look way better than they were. Rodgers has been one of the most sacked QBs over the last 4 or 5 years. Have to admit too, our OL has essentially been thrown together over the last 4 seasons. See what sticks to the wall...

I thought Ted should have signed Bryant McKinney last offseason as an insurance plan, since they had no real answer on the left side of the line and were once again scrambling to get it together. Had he done that, Aaron may not have blown out the collar bone… Peppers may have been blocked, allowing Rodgers to step up into the pocket.

I'd like to see some aggressive pursuit of talent by Ted for a change. We need it.

There is a ton of blame to go around, from not having the players, to injuries, to Campen's coaching, to McCarthy's slow, tepid introduction of a running game over this 4-5 years span, forcing his OL into step back pass sets absorbing the opposing DL rush instead of a balanced pass/run attack which allows our OL to tee off in run blocking.

ugh. I just hope we get this addressed. Get some players healthy. Do a better job of training and coaching and play calling.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

I watched the same play. I guess we have a different take on what Aaron's options were on that, and why. Stop watching Barclay, as he was not at fault. Watch Bakhtiari. His failed block allowed Peppers to bust the pocket completely, forcing Aaron to his right.

Yeah, it happens. Aaron has created many a great play outside the pocket. This time is just happened to cost him half a season with a broken collar bone. But, saying the OL was not responsible ignores a failed block that forced Aaron into trouble. Right?

Take a look at Boykin, he is open, the play was 3 steps get rid of the ball, it was also 3rd and 8, Aaron pulls the ball down and scrambles instead of letting it go.

Aaron got caught scrambling, probably thinking Boykin is not going to be able to get the 1st down.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
play2win
10 years ago

Take a look at Boykin, he is open, the play was 3 steps get rid of the ball, it was also 3rd and 8, Aaron pulls the ball down and scrambles instead of letting it go.

Aaron got caught scrambling, probably thinking Boykin is not going to be able to get the 1st down.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

But, why are you ignoring Bakhtiari getting completely overrun by Peppers? That completely collapsed the pocket within seconds.
nerdmann
10 years ago

I believe this is true. We haven't had a dominant OL. Not at all. Aaron's ability to get the ball out quicker than most QBs in the NFL has made whoever we've thrown out there look way better than they were. Rodgers has been one of the most sacked QBs over the last 4 or 5 years. Have to admit too, our OL has essentially been thrown together over the last 4 seasons. See what sticks to the wall...

I thought Ted should have signed Bryant McKinney last offseason as an insurance plan, since they had no real answer on the left side of the line and were once again scrambling to get it together. Had he done that, Aaron may not have blown out the collar bone… Peppers may have been blocked, allowing Rodgers to step up into the pocket.

I'd like to see some aggressive pursuit of talent by Ted for a change. We need it.

There is a ton of blame to go around, from not having the players, to injuries, to Campen's coaching, to McCarthy's slow, tepid introduction of a running game over this 4-5 years span, forcing his OL into step back pass sets absorbing the opposing DL rush instead of a balanced pass/run attack which allows our OL to tee off in run blocking.

ugh. I just hope we get this addressed. Get some players healthy. Do a better job of training and coaching and play calling.

Yes, Aaron has the "ability" to get the ball out quicker. Unfortunately he's usually holding it, waiting for something to come open deep.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
10 years ago

Yes, Aaron has the "ability" to get the ball out quicker. Unfortunately he's usually holding it, waiting for something to come open deep.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Well, of course! How else are you going to stat whore?

😆 😆 😆
steveishere
10 years ago

Did you read what I said at all? My point about "big gap between Sitton and Lang" is the point that there are multiple levels of play. I do NOT believe we have to get Sitton level players to improve over the performance of Lang, Bulaga, et al.

There have been great offensive lines, and none of them have been All-Pros across the line. But all of them have been better, a lot better, than the Packer OL during the Thompson/McCarthy years.

I'm sorry, but the "we can't afford more" won't wash with me. Not over a nine year period. Yeah, they have a lot of money invested in Lang. They also have a lot of money invested in Brad Jones. Sometimes money is badly invested. Nine years of putting your NFL money in the Langs and Jones of the world is evidence of bad investment strategy.

The Packers may have no way of paying for improvement in the OL this year. Given the problems on defense, I won't dispute this.

But, one last time, this has not been a one year failure. This has been close to a decade of inability to put together a dominant line.

Call it being content, call it being frugal, call it being satisfied, blame it on injuries, blame it on being left in salary cap hell by Sherman, blame it on not being able to draft high enough, blame it on not coaching people up enough, call it whatever you damn want. Whatever you blame it on, the Packers have not had a dominant offensive line in the entire Ted Thompson/Mike McCarthy era.

I call it unacceptable.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

It's been pretty well proven you don't really need a "dominant" OL to win championships so I don't see why it's so unacceptable to not have one. Only in your world where good players suck if they aren't dominant I guess.
nerdmann
10 years ago

It's been pretty well proven you don't really need a "dominant" OL to win championships so I don't see why it's so unacceptable to not have one. Only in your world where good players suck if they aren't dominant I guess.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Our 3rd, 4th and 5th Ts produced the ROY at RB.

Not too shabby.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
warhawk
10 years ago
I'm not as down on the prospects for a solid OL in 2014. With Bulaga back and possibly Sherrod finally healthy I see improved play on the outside and if they resign EDS it would mostly stay intact.
People get down on the sacks and pressures but that's what teams have to do against this team. They know, with Arod back there, they HAVE to put pressure on him. With Rodgers and the WR's teams can't beat this team with coverage schemes like they can against other offenses.

Look at the other side of this. How often does the OL handle these various pressure packages and Aaron Rodgers burns them? I think the sacks and pressures are going to be the nature of the beast for this offense. They may not win every battle but as long as they win the war.

Like I said, I think they have a good shot at improving the play on the outside whether Bulaga goes to LT or right and the pressures and sacks will drop. That has to be a scary thought for the teams they will face.

"The train is leaving the station."
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (4h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
37m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.