nerdmann
10 years ago

The Packers had a rough year defensively in 2013 as injuries took several key players away from a unit that struggled to stop just about every opponent that came their way. As a result, head coach Mike McCarthy said Monday that the "defense is going to change some' for the 2014 season. McCarthy didn't delve...

Josh Alper  wrote:

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
10 years ago
I'm not going to be holding my breath. SSALY. Just get rid of the lazy fat asses and the light in the asses who can't tackle and I'll be happy.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
The changes that are coming:

1. Packers will draft at least two defensive players in first three rounds. All will get us all enthusiastic and we'll argue about their potential to develop for three years.
2. Some late round picks/post-draft rookie FAs will light up minicamps/training camp, and we'll get all excited and they'll get lost on special teams and the inactive list.
3. Next year this time we'll be debating the "potential" of different players as we debate the wisdom of putting all the eggs in the draft-and-develop basket.

(SSALY, Troy? Wazzat?)
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
p.s. What will make me seriously upset is if they let Shields go and re-sign Raji.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
DakotaT
10 years ago

1. Packers will draft at least two defensive players in first three rounds. All will get us all enthusiastic and we'll argue about their potential to develop for three years.
2. Some late round picks/post-draft rookie FAs will light up minicamps/training camp, and we'll get all excited and they'll get lost on special teams and the inactive list.
3. Next year this time we'll be debating the "potential" of different players as we debate the wisdom of putting all the eggs in the draft-and-develop basket.

(SSALY, Troy? Wazzat?)

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Acronym for Same Shit As Last Year!
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

(SSALY, Troy? Wazzat?)

Kinda pessimistic, dontcha think?

1. It's pretty much a slam dunk - 2 of 3, I'd guess 3 of 3 first draft picks. We were right to be excited about Datone Jones; I hope/think he justifies it next season - why? It's not uncommon for a D Lineman to take a year or two or three to reach his peak. Wasn't Daniels a 3rd round pick? Doing that good or better this time with LB picks might be enough if we can solve Safety in free agency.

2. That's about what you expect from late rounders and UDFAs, isn't it? Any more is gravy. The only one last year I saw much in was Mulumba, and there's still decent hope he amounts to something.

3. I don't recall much debate last off season about scrapping or seriously augmenting draft and develop - if it was going on, I was on the anti- side then. Hell, I still am if you're talking any change that's really significant.

We're CLOSE, real close. As the evil one correctly stated, addition by subtraction - just getting RID of Raji and Pickett will do wonders. That, getting/staying reasonably healthy, adding one Safety - either FA or Collins, and getting a couple early round LBs, nothing more extreme than that will do it. The question is, will Ted Thompson do even that little bit?

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
sschind
10 years ago

Kinda pessimistic, dontcha think?

2. That's about what you expect from late rounders and UDFAs, isn't it? Any more is gravy. The only one last year I saw much in was Mulumba, and there's still decent hope he amounts to something.

We're CLOSE, real close. As the evil one correctly stated, addition by subtraction - just getting RID of Raji and Pickett will do wonders. That, getting/staying reasonably healthy, adding one Safety - either FA or Collins, and getting a couple early round LBs, nothing more extreme than that will do it. The question is, will Ted Thompson do even that little bit?

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Anyone who gets excited about the prospect of late rounders and UDFAs making a big impact in their first year is only setting themselves up for disappointment. It can happen but it is rare.

As Packer fans maybe its the only thing we can hang our hopes on because A) Ted Thompson has not been a big player in free agency and 😎 our track record for first round picks has not been stellar when injuries and such are factored in. That leaves us with a high performing late round pick or UDFA to look to as an impact player.

I agree with you about Jones and Daniels, This may be the year (how long have we been saying that though) that 2 guys step up and who knows, maybe a first rounder can actually contribute more than very spot duty.

Of course it is also difficult to discount the potential for SSALY.

I guess I choose to be optimistic. I don't expect a big FA signing but I am hopeful for a moderate one, maybe a starter at Safety or DL or TE or center or LB or whatever position. If we can land 1 starter better than a guy we have we are already ahead of the game. If we can sign Shields and a few other of our own key free agents (I'd like to see J. Jones, Starks and EDS but I'll let you argue your own guys) it will keep us strong on offense and finally if Bulaga and D. Jones and Sherrod can contribute for a full season like we hoped they would when drafted and if Daniels can keep improving I think we are looking pretty good. Add to that a nice crop of rookies and I think we get better, maybe even much better.

I know there are a lot of IFs in there and the last few years have not really given us any indication that these IFs will come to fruition but like I said I like to think on the positive side. I suppose I could go into the season thinking we are going to suck and then if we do well I will not be disappointed but I can't do that. I have to look on the bright side.

DakotaT
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

[mfing]

I can't believe you can say shit like that and not be struck down by lightning. [roflmao]
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

[mfing]

I can't believe you can say shit like that and not be struck down by lightning. [roflmao]

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

hahahaha Nice self portrait (the red one). Nobody can ever say you don't know yourself.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Laser Gunns
10 years ago

p.s. What will make me seriously upset is if they let Shields go and re-sign Raji.

I had a nightmare where they tagged Raji.... [puke]

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.