Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Apparently there are some rumblings about the President wanting to raise minimum wage. I feel this is one of the most stupid ass things that could be done. Raising minimum wage never fixes any economical issue. It can also inhibit small businesses opportunity to get going.

If an employer has to pay more to its employee's for menial work, that means they will have to charge more for their services and/or products. How does this solve any economical issue?

If they raise minimum wage, are they going to force these employers from raising prices?

Take a look at Chase CEO Jamie Dimon. He tells his employees they would not get raises because of the bank’s multi-billion-dollar legal fees. Guess who nailed a 74% raise? If you said Jamie Dimon, you were right.

Minimum wage isn't the problem. It's the greedy ass corporate pricks raking in millions and millions while they already have hundreds of millions in the bank.

CEO's deserve to be heavily compensated, not disputing that. But if I have $200 million in the bank, my family and great grand-kids are covered. I'll be damned if you'd catch me NOT giving my employee's raises and then accept any kind of raise that same year.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
How's this for a proposal? A public corporation can pay its executives whatever it wishes. However, put a maximum on the amount of that salary ($5 million/year, say) that the executive can save.

That way, even though the greedy bastard gets to be a conspicuous consumer, it puts the money back into the economy. It may not help the poor schmuck who works for that corporation, but it helps the other sellers and the people who work for them.

Then, at the same time, limit to that same $5 million amount the executive compensation per person that said corporation can treat as a tax-reducing "expense". Or perhaps not allow expensing of any compensation of vice presidents and above.

Finally, make the benefits of incorporation (i.e., limited liability, unlimited life, separate personhood) only available to public companies. If you want to run your own business and build your wealth to the size of Nathan Rothschild's or Andrew Carnegie's, you can only do so if you are willing to forego those benefits. If those benefits matter to you, then you deal with the compensation restrictions.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
Min wage rates contribute to unemployment.

IL has the 6th highest min wage  and the 3rd highest unemployment .

edit- Rhode Island and Nevada have some of the highest min wages and employment rates too.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

How's this for a proposal? A public corporation can pay its executives whatever it wishes. However, put a maximum on the amount of that salary ($5 million/year, say) that the executive can save.

That way, even though the greedy bastard gets to be a conspicuous consumer, it puts the money back into the economy. It may not help the poor schmuck who works for that corporation, but it helps the other sellers and the people who work for them.

Then, at the same time, limit to that same $5 million amount the executive compensation per person that said corporation can treat as a tax-reducing "expense". Or perhaps not allow expensing of any compensation of vice presidents and above.

Finally, make the benefits of incorporation (i.e., limited liability, unlimited life, separate personhood) only available to public companies. If you want to run your own business and build your wealth to the size of Nathan Rothschild's or Andrew Carnegie's, you can only do so if you are willing to forego those benefits. If those benefits matter to you, then you deal with the compensation restrictions.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

For being a Libertarian, you sure come up with some damn creative government regulations. Don't you think the investors who own the corporation should have the right to pay their employee - the CEO - whatever the hell they please? Why would they go against the financial interest of the corporation they own by paying the CEO more than they think his talent is worth? And who are we to complain about it? Do we even have a dog in the hunt?

As for minimum wage, indeed it does increase unemployment - thereby harming a lot of the people it is supposed to help. I would expect there to be a slight Keynesian positive effect, however, as increased money in the hands of those who would be likely to use it on consumer goods would multiply. That would outweigh the lost income of those losing jobs, as sooner or later, they would be employed again, in addition to receiving unemployment compensation. The overall benefit of increasing the minimum wage, therefore, would be pretty much a wash, maybe slightly beneficial.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Rockmolder
10 years ago

Min wage rates contribute to unemployment.

IL has the 6th highest min wage  and the 3rd highest unemployment .

edit- Rhode Island and Nevada have some of the highest min wages and employment rates too.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

So how about Vermont or Montana?

I can imagine that there's a correlation between minimum wage and unemployed, but so many thing factor in that it seems rather silly to keep the minimum wage at a level where it's next to impossible to live on.

That raising the minimum wage would result in a one-on-one raise in costs doesn't fly for me, either. Firstly, it's only the companies who bank heavily on underpaid employees. If you're making just a couple of bucks an hour right now, you shouldn't be worried about McDonald's raising its prices on hamburgers by a couple of cents, you should cook some regular food for yourself.

I somewhat like your proposal, Wade, but the government coming in and telling you how much money you can put aside and save for yourself per year seems like a bigger encroachment on your freedom than raising minimum wage. I know this sounds rather double, but I'd rather see it taxed more effectively.

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

So how about Vermont or Montana?

I can imagine that there's a correlation between minimum wage and unemployed, but so many thing factor in that it seems rather silly to keep the minimum wage at a level where it's next to impossible to live on.

That raising the minimum wage would result in a one-on-one raise in costs doesn't fly for me, either. Firstly, it's only the companies who bank heavily on underpaid employees. If you're making just a couple of bucks an hour right now, you shouldn't be worried about McDonald's raising its prices on hamburgers by a couple of cents, you should cook some regular food for yourself.

I somewhat like your proposal, Wade, but the government coming in and telling you how much money you can put aside and save for yourself per year seems like a bigger encroachment on your freedom than raising minimum wage. I know this sounds rather double, but I'd rather see it taxed more effectively.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

I knew someone would comment on my post. Rocky i am sorry I don;t have time to do a state by state annalist. If you would have read my post closely I said it contributes not that it is the sole reason. If you run the whole list you will see in general the states with higher min wages tend to be the ones with higher unemployment. It is a generalization.

ILL has a lot of things that make for unemployment. The state government is run by the Democrats and unions and they have screwed up so many things for 20 + years business is fleeing to the South and Southwest in droves leaving the people looking for work.

Workers Compensation premiums and benefits are some of the highest in the nation.
We have the 2nd highest flat rate income tax.

The 10th highest sales tax rate.

The State run pensions are so bad even the legislators are admitting something has to be done about them. They don't know what to do but they have to make some harsh cuts.

The state pays child support to children who live in other states. The list goes on and on.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago

For being a Libertarian, you sure come up with some damn creative government regulations. Don't you think the investors who own the corporation should have the right to pay their employee - the CEO - whatever the hell they please? Why would they go against the financial interest of the corporation they own by paying the CEO more than they think his talent is worth? And who are we to complain about it? Do we even have a dog in the hunt?

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Technically, I'm an anarchist not a libertarian, but the point is made.

Sure, the investors can do what they want. I didn't prohibit larger salaries (the more usual proposal). I merely limited the amount of a deduction for those salaries. The investors can do what they want, but they aren't "entitled" to a tax deduction.

[One might argue that they shouldn't be taxed at all, but that's another debate for another day.]

Personally, I would entirely get rid of the grant of extra legal rights that come with use of the corporate organizational form (limited liability, etc.) that ultimately enables such excesses. But no one will ever go for that.

But the real social problem with executive salaries is not the amount, and its not that no one should earn income that high for what they do (as you say, if shareholders think its worth it, it's worth it). The real social problem is the excessive distribution of wealth that occurs as a result. Every dollar that an executive consumes ensures that part of his/her income gets shared with the producers of the goods he/she consumes. While that also happens when the executive buys more capital assets, the capital investment also serves to further skew the wealth distribution by virtue of compound interest. My proposal would merely limit the amount of new wealth that the executive could gain the whole of that compounding gain to the return on investment from $5 million a year. If the executive wants to get a bigger compounding gain, he's going to have to risk his own pre-existing wealth not shift that risk to the shareholders who employ him or the people who the shareholders shift their risks to via the corporate form.

As for minimum wage, indeed it does increase unemployment - thereby harming a lot of the people it is supposed to help. I would expect there to be a slight Keynesian positive effect, however, as increased money in the hands of those who would be likely to use it on consumer goods would multiply. That would outweigh the lost income of those losing jobs, as sooner or later, they would be employed again, in addition to receiving unemployment compensation. The overall benefit of increasing the minimum wage, therefore, would be pretty much a wash, maybe slightly beneficial.

I don't like minimum wage laws, and I think increasing it is a bad idea all around, for the reasons you and Zero and wpr have put forth.

Nor am I bothered by anyone getting paid all that they can get from a willing buyer, whether it's a CEO or a movie actor or a college/pro football player. Employment contracts are voluntary. No one has to pay if they don't want to, and if they pay, presumptively they see the benefit being greater than the amount paid.

On the other hand, I think there is a real danger that comes as the distribution of wealth becomes more and more skewed. That way lies feudalism and its bastard children, mercantilism and fascism. And those, to my mind are worse by orders of magnitude for the long run growth of economic prosperity, because with feudalism and mercantilism and fascism, economic success depends on on productivity but on power.

I'm not so naive that I believe that power can be taken out of the equation. That's why I'm a minarchist rather than a full-blown anarcho-capitalist. But I do believe it is possible to limit the importance of power.

And I believe that you don't limit power by direct regulation and prohibition. You do it by constitutional-type rules of the game that detach the incentives to pursue power and control from the incentives to increase productivity.

(I forgot to say that I would make my proposal one of constitutional amendment rather than mere statutory enactment. That would constrain both legislative action -- which is shaped by the degree of power to influence it, which the wealthy always have more of) and judicial action (the powers of corporations in America can be traced in significant part to the Supremes decision in Dartmouth College v Woodward way back in 1817). Changing tax rules just reinforces the importance of having the power to influence those who make tax rules. And the wealthy, who can always afford more $1000/hour lawyers and lobbyists are always going to have more of that power.)

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
digsthepack
10 years ago
The minimum wage was never designed to provide a "liveable wage" to anyone, so the current argument/debate surrounding the issue is invalid in its confusion of the two. The minimum wage was designed to provide entry level incentive for new workers who enter the marketplace with the understanding that it is not where they would stay if incentive and dedication to one's task was displayed.

At best, and historically, the minimum wage was designed to allow teenage boys (and girls) the resources to buy gas for cruising around town on the weekend, beer for shits and giggles, and condoms that will rot in their wallets before they ever get used.

Raise the minimum wage, and there will be a reduction in entry level jobs. Kinda counter intuitive to the goals stated for raising the minimum wage
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

The minimum wage was never designed to provide a "liveable wage" to anyone, so the current argument/debate surrounding the issue is invalid in its confusion of the two. The minimum wage was designed to provide entry level incentive for new workers who enter the marketplace with the understanding that it is not where they would stay if incentive and dedication to one's task was displayed.

At best, and historically, the minimum wage was designed to allow teenage boys (and girls) the resources to buy gas for cruising around town on the weekend, beer for shits and giggles, and condoms that will rot in their wallets before they ever get used.

Raise the minimum wage, and there will be a reduction in entry level jobs. Kinda counter intuitive to the goals stated for raising the minimum wage

Originally Posted by: digsthepack 

It reminds me of Social Security and its evolution. Originally it was never meant to be the retirement plan that people lived off of. Now people and the Govt moan and groan about the benefits all the time.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (1h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (1h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (13h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (13h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (18h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.