wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
10 years ago
I made a post earlier that said it seems as if the Packer organization is willing to rest on their past success.

I and other season ticket holders got an email today asking our opinion/reason for not buying playoff tickets.

I applaud them for this effort.

Here are a few of the questions they asked. (Well the research company asked)

2014 Playoffs Survey - Season Ticket Holders
Q2 How many years have you personally been a Season Ticket Holder?

1 year
2 to 5 years
6 to 10 years
11 years or more

Q3 Not just focusing on this past season, what factors determine if you purchase playoff tickets? Please select the choice for each that best describes the importance you assign to the following factors before making a decision to purchase playoff tickets each season.

5 - Very Important 4 - Important 3 - Neutral 2 - Not Very Important 1 - Not Important at all

Direction of Team/Standings/Chance of making playoffs
Price of tickets
Injured players unable to contribute
Ability to re-sell tickets
Having to buy two games

Q16 After the Packers beat the Bears, I did not purchase Packers-49ers Wild Card playoff tickets because: Select all that apply.

Price was too high
Direction of the team
Playoff fatigue (been to multiple playoff games)
Weather forecast
Not comfortable paying online
Didn’t want to pay the additional Ticketmaster fees
Couldn’t find anyone to go with me
Was out of town/holiday weekend
Didn’t think we’d make the playoffs, so didn’t save/budget the money or couldn’t afford it
Didn’t think we’d make the playoffs, so made other plans
Too short of notice
Would rather watch on TV
Afternoon Sunday game (too hard with travel to make work on Monday)
Didn't think I would be chosen in the random allocation of tickets
Didn’t get email
Other

Here are the reasons I checked off.

From the choices you selected in the previous question as reasons you did not purchase tickets, which reason most effected your decision not to purchase tickets for the Packers-49ers Wild Card playoff game on Sunday, Jan. 5?

Price was too high
Direction of the team
Playoff fatigue (been to multiple playoff games)
Weather forecast
Didn’t think we’d make the playoffs, so didn’t save/budget the money or couldn’t afford it
Didn’t think we’d make the playoffs, so made other plans
Afternoon Sunday game (too hard with travel to make work on Monday)

I was being a little cranky and chose "Direction of the team" as my #1 answer. That is something they can change. If I say it is too far to drive or the weather which is probably as truthful as the team direction they can't do anything about those issues. I mentioned it a week ago there is not any one reason fans didn't buy the tickets like they usally do. It was sort of a perfect storm of issues that piled on top of each other.

Q20 Where did you watch the Packers-49ers Wild Card playoff game on Sunday, Jan. 5?

At Lambeau Field
At home
At a bar/restaurant
At a friend’s house
Streaming online or via NFL Mobile App
In the Tundra Tailgate Zone tent
Other

I like how they are trying to check out the competition so to speak.

Q28 Do you have any additional comments?
I thought Ted and Mike did a very poor job of putting the team together past several years. Very poor quality for a back up QB. Very poor job of getting seasoned veterans on the team. When a starting player is injured the inexperience of the team shows. Why travel for 4 hours, sit in freezing weather and pay a premium price to watch a sub caliber team? Thank you for asking for our opinion. I do appreciate the opportunity.

I was going to leave it blank but as I said I was being a little cranky so along the lines of Bob McGinn's column I took a shot at Uncle Teddy and Mike.

If I had to bet this survey was not from Ted. I say this came from Mark Murphy or Sales and Marketing.

It appears as if they are trying to make sure the playoff game tickets sales snafu doesn't happen again. I will mention that I have put my name on the playoff list many times and I usually don't get them. There have been other years where the playoff possibility was not very good or at least they didn't look like they would host a game and I didn't get tickets those years.
UserPostedImage
GermanGilbert
10 years ago

It appears as if they are trying to make sure the playoff game tickets sales snafu doesn't happen again. I will mention that I have put my name on the playoff list many times and I usually don't get them. There have been other years where the playoff possibility was not very good or at least they didn't look like they would host a game and I didn't get tickets those years.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

You're a gold package holder, right? And you usually don't get playoff tickets. So I just want to ask how they sell tickets for the playoff games. Do the gold package holders have the same chance to get playoff tickets as green package holders or is it 3 to 1 as the regular season tickets are distributed?

I'm sure if it was not the weather that affected the ticket sale first, as the playoff tickets had to be purchased a couple of weeks before (what I've heard). What for sure hurt was the fact that there was no immediate refund if the Packers didn't qualify. In that case all the money was lost until September (until the 1st regular season game, when the money would be credited), in case the season ticket is cancelled, the money would be gone completely.

The weather was a factor for some guys who purchased the playoff tickets before, though. $125 tickets where sold for $40 apiece outside Lambeau on Saturday. Couldn't believe that.

blank
wpr
  • wpr
10 years ago

You're a gold package holder, right?

Originally Posted by: GermanGilbert 

yes

And you usually don't get playoff tickets.

I have gotten them about half the time. Some of the time I don't even try to get the playoff tickets. Like this year I just have other things going on.

So I just want to ask how they sell tickets for the playoff games. Do the gold package holders have the same chance to get playoff tickets as green package holders or is it 3 to 1 as the regular season tickets are distributed?

I do not know. I never asked but I always thought the Green Package ticket holders went first and then the Gold package were drawn based on a lottery. One thing that helps Gold Package is the Packers limit it to 4 seats. There are some people who have 6 or 8 seats because it was easy to do back in the 50's and still affordable in the 60's.

The other method would be everyone gets an equal chance. I don't think it is a 3 to 1 basis.

I'm sure if it was not the weather that affected the ticket sale first, as the playoff tickets had to be purchased a couple of weeks before (what I've heard).

They actually went on sale about Thanksgiving and the Detroit beat down. Weather was a factor but it wasn't the only one. Sales were slow IE: non existent long before the weather forecast.

What for sure hurt was the fact that there was no immediate refund if the Packers didn't qualify. In that case all the money was lost until September (until the 1st regular season game, when the money would be credited), in case the season ticket is cancelled, the money would be gone completely.

A contributing factor. The Packers say about half of the people have already requested the Packers keep the money for the next season. The money isn't kept until Sept 1. Payments are made in March. So Dec 1 to March 1 (roughly) is 120 days. Add a few extra weeks because you could buy them a little earlier in Nov and maybe the March due date is mid month ( really don't remember right now.)

The weather was a factor for some guys who purchased the playoff tickets before, though. $125 tickets where sold for $40 apiece outside Lambeau on Saturday. Couldn't believe that.

UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago
Thanks for the personal input on this subject wpr. Like the Sept 1st vs March 1st thing. I figured the money was due before Sept. 1st but I was think more like June or July.

I don't get the part about half the people requesting they keep the money until next season though. I though that was the only option. So half the people request it and the other half know its the only option so they don't bother to request it. They just let it happen.

Do they mean that in the past half the people made that request.

I think there are two separate issues at play here. The first is why the season ticket holders didn't snap up the playoff tickets right away in November when they were offered. I would guess the main reasons there would be the no refund option and the odds of the team even making it. With that you could add the direction the team seemed to be heading. Obviously the weather was not a factor.

The the second issue is why it took so long to sell the remaining playoff tickets and why it took a corporate sponsor bailout (from what I heard) once we beat the Bears and knew we would have a home playoff game. The weather would be a factor here. Perhaps the no refund option would have factored in here as well as there was a very very small chance the Packers would have hosted the NFC championship game (did the second game ticket include that game or was it just the second round game) and no chance for them to host a game in the second round. Not knowing of they would make it was not a factor because they made it but the direction the team was heading might have played strongly into it. My feelings are that the weather coupled with not want to sit through another 1 and done loss were the biggest factors in this with the weather being the #1 factor.

On the bright side I am sure a lot of the people who got tickets who may not have gotten them otherwise were happy. Zero and his father and daughters come to mind.
wpr
  • wpr
10 years ago
You have a few questions let see if I can answer them all.
I am sorry I was not clear on the half the people wanting the Packers to keep their unused payments until the next season. In the past the people had two options. Get a refund or have the money applied to the next season. 10 years ago I paid with a check and GB would just send my own check back to me when I didn’t win the lottery so to speak.
They changed their option this year to having them keep the money as the only option. (They went to electronic payments as the only method a few years ago.)
Back in Nov we would have had to prepay for both games. It wasn’t the Wild Card game. It was the Divisional Round game and the NFC CG. I think that too irks some people. Allow fans to buy one game not both. Let them ask for a specific game. But from a marketing standpoint it makes sense for the Packers to want to get rid of all the tickets at once. And they don’t want to have to go back to people who paid a lesser amount and see if they want to pay more or not.

I do believe you are pretty accurate in your assessment that early on the poor play of the team and the no refund policy were big factors. Keep in mind if there are 5 or 6 reasons it only takes one to keep someone from buying. So with so many reasons it all added up. Back during the Bears week I was running a 101 temp so even if I had bought tickets prior to the win I would have passed them on to someone else as I would not have wanted to be out in that cold air for that long in my condition. My wife had bronchitis. I did not see the dr so I was not officially diagnosed.

After both package groups had their chance the ticket sales were opened to the general public. They are not use to getting tickets so I imagine many had other plans. Playoff parties and so on.

UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago

You have a few questions let see if I can answer them all.
I am sorry I was not clear on the half the people wanting the Packers to keep their unused payments until the next season. In the past the people had two options. Get a refund or have the money applied to the next season. 10 years ago I paid with a check and GB would just send my own check back to me when I didn’t win the lottery so to speak.
They changed their option this year to having them keep the money as the only option. (They went to electronic payments as the only method a few years ago.)
Back in Nov we would have had to prepay for both games. It wasn’t the Wild Card game. It was the Divisional Round game and the NFC CG. I think that too irks some people. Allow fans to buy one game not both. Let them ask for a specific game. But from a marketing standpoint it makes sense for the Packers to want to get rid of all the tickets at once. And they don’t want to have to go back to people who paid a lesser amount and see if they want to pay more or not.

I do believe you are pretty accurate in your assessment that early on the poor play of the team and the no refund policy were big factors. Keep in mind if there are 5 or 6 reasons it only takes one to keep someone from buying. So with so many reasons it all added up. Back during the Bears week I was running a 101 temp so even if I had bought tickets prior to the win I would have passed them on to someone else as I would not have wanted to be out in that cold air for that long in my condition. My wife had bronchitis. I did not see the dr so I was not officially diagnosed.

After both package groups had their chance the ticket sales were opened to the general public. They are not use to getting tickets so I imagine many had other plans. Playoff parties and so on.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Thanks for the post and the personal input. One more question. How long have you had season tickets and how many do you have (OK I know that's 2 questions. I'll call them 1 a and 1 b)

PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago
A team unlikely to win or go deep into the playoffs, refund policy change, Bad weather forecasts, and having 7000 more tickets than ever before all contributed.

People forget that at the original blackout deadline, the team had sold 4,000 more tickets than to any playoff game at lambeau ever.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
wpr
  • wpr
10 years ago

Thanks for the post and the personal input. One more question. How long have you had season tickets and how many do you have (OK I know that's 2 questions. I'll call them 1 a and 1 b)

Originally Posted by: sschind 

It is a darn good thing you said that it two questions because I skimmed and only saw the first one.

Started in 2001. We have 2 seats.

I was on the waiting list for 20 years. The Packers told me I was 3000 and something on the list. With the new seats I might get the Green package when it was completed but there was no guarantee. I could switch the Gold package and either get tickets that year 2001 or the following year for sure.

With the PSL going into effect and the long drive it was a no brainer to take the Gold package.

We went to a preseason game but our first real game as season ticket holders was the Monday night game against Washington after 9-11. It was an amazing experience. And GB kicked Washington's butt that night.

It is kind of fun because we know most of the people around us. The woman to my left only goes to the October game. He son goes tot he November game. I laugh because my wife will go tot he first one too and the two women will talk the whole game long. I bring my son to the second game with me. I say a few words to the other guy but it is nothing like my wife and the other lady chatting the whole time.

The people who sit behind us have 6 seats I think. The old man was going to games back in the 60's. He was always growling and yelling that Vince did things differently than what they do today. Once I got use to him he was funny. Unfortunately he got to old and feeble to walk down the steps. his daughter comes with a group. I asked her my they don't let her Dad sit in the handicap section at the top of the bowl. She said even that is too difficult for him.

The seats in front of us seem to be sold online as they after are someone from the opposing team. Sometimes it will be a dad and a young son. I really enjoy watching the kid living a dream of being at the stadium.

I see a lot of the same faces in the other seats but I don't talk to them much. I am there to watch a football game.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
10 years ago

A team unlikely to win or go deep into the playoffs, refund policy change, Bad weather forecasts, and having 7000 more tickets than ever before all contributed.

People forget that at the original blackout deadline, the team had sold 4,000 more tickets than to any playoff game at lambeau ever.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I didn't forget. I can't be sure but I am not certain that all of the new ticket holders are as "dedicated" as the people that have had seats for a long time. (even before I got them.)

I swapped games and was sitting up in the new section. The guy who sat next to us said we were the first people to use those seats. And all the seats behind us were empty. About 3 or 4 rows up in the corner.

But as I think about it that was only the 3rd game of the year so maybe I am being too critical. He was counting the preseason game too. Not everyone goes to the preseason games. Since it was a Green package game he was really only talking about 1 other game. Naturally that was the home opener and they should have been there.
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago
I love hearing stories from the "old Guard" if you will, of Lambeau field. My cousin and I went to a Steelers game many moons ago and we were sitting about half way up in one of the endzones. The two guys behind us were in their 60's or so and we got to talking to them. Turns out they had been lifelong friends and when the stadium was built and the season tickets had gone on sale they were pretty broke and were living at the YMCA (sorry for putting that song in your head) The pooled all their resources and bought two season tickets. They were in the last row of the endzone and almost right in the center. They said they had chances to switch to better seats over the years but they have always stayed with their original ones. They claimed to have only missed three or four games each. The game we were at was the very start of the Favre era so I said something like "you guys have sat through a lot of rough times" and one of them hesitated a bit then he said "yeah, we have, but we've sat through some pretty goods ones though." We bought them each a beer and listened to more good stories and also got to witness the start of another long run of "pretty good ones" (it was Favres first start)

Fan Shout
dhazer (32m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (23h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS