PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago
The idea of this thread was not about Rodgers age or ability. It is about how much better or worse the team around him will be because of the contracts that He and Matthews and at the time, Raji was expected to get in the near future. Right now we are looking, can the team afford to keep Cobb, Bulaga, Williams and the other FA on the team. If we had more money, that wouldn't be an issue and we could keep more better players.

The task of putting the most talented team around Rodgers was easier before Rodgers and Matthews got paid.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
68md
9 years ago
Interesting thread. Here is a stat making the 'window' look a little smaller still. NFCC Championship losers the following year. It is super tough to lose the game and come back which adds a year to Rodgers and even Matthews and Nelson. The window is small indeed.

2004 Falcons (2005 out of playoffs);
2005 Panthers (2006 out of playoffs);
2006 Saints (2007 out of playoffs);
2007 Packers (2008 out of playoffs);
2008 Eagles (2009 lost wildcard round);
2009 Vikings (2010 out of playoffs);
2010 Bears (2011 out of playoffs);
2011 49ers (2012 made Super Bowl);
2012 Falcons (2013 out of playoffs);
2013 49ers (2014 out of playoffs);
2014 Packers (2015??).
hardrocker950
9 years ago

Interesting thread. Here is a stat making the 'window' look a little smaller still. NFCC Championship losers the following year. It is super tough to lose the game and come back which adds a year to Rodgers and even Matthews and Nelson. The window is small indeed.

2004 Falcons (2005 out of playoffs);
2005 Panthers (2006 out of playoffs);
2006 Saints (2007 out of playoffs);
2007 Packers (2008 out of playoffs);
2008 Eagles (2009 lost wildcard round);
2009 Vikings (2010 out of playoffs);
2010 Bears (2011 out of playoffs);
2011 49ers (2012 made Super Bowl);
2012 Falcons (2013 out of playoffs);
2013 49ers (2014 out of playoffs);
2014 Packers (2015??).

Originally Posted by: wideside 

That is interesting, but I don't think that necessarily means they will miss the playoffs next season. I am more concerned with the effect that paying Cobb amd Bulaga (assuming they return) will have on the cap status. Due to large contracts, it makes it hard to have a complete team - Seattle will likely fall victim to this soon as well.

The deck is stacked against high caliber teams to keep things competitive, which unfortunately makes it tougher for teams like GB to stay top tier.
Pack93z
9 years ago

Much like Flacco's deal.. or Brady's.. Rodgers deal will be structured so that it allows the cap hit yearly to be manageable and something that will be reworked in the future.

That is not minimizing the impacts those contracts will have on our future, but it will be more in the terms of exchanging a Woodson and Pickett for a Matthews and Raji in terms of consumed cap hit. Additionally, Ted has married this team to his more or less building through the draft approach.. so for that window to be pushed even more open again.. he has to hit again this draft for fill in pieces and Mike McCarthy and co need to continue to develop from the past two draft classes.

Looking around the league, almost every contender past the Niners at the moment are having their windows adjusted more than ours. Maybe the Pats.

The nature of a flat cap and many teams pushing out cap hits over the past couple years. The Packers haven't done much of that.. and I don't expect much of it moving forward other than Rodgers.

The Packers have known these three players were coming up.. and entrust they have a plan to manage it and remain very much in the discussion for the Lombardi yearly.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Still remains valid... we pick our spots of depth and contract weight, and recycle. Jones and Hawk will be adjusted/shed in place of Cobb, Bulaga, etc.

Ted continuously puts a team on the field that has enough pieces and depth to be competitive every season, much like this one. It is up to the players and coaching staff to capitalize on that.

We belonged on that field with the Seahawks, and had every opportunity to close the deal. The window remains kicked open.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

Ted continuously puts a team on the field that has enough pieces and depth to be competitive every season,

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I agree with this, Ted's strategy has kept this team competitive. But is that good enough?

We ended 2014 with between 7-8 million in cap space which we will be moving forward. Could we have used that money in 2014 to improve a position or two enough to had been the difference. It is to late to really know but looking forward.

With that cap spaced moved forward, based on the projected cap we will have 23 million. If we cut ties with Jones and Hawk, that will kick up to about 30 million. Assume we sign Cobb, Bulaga and Tramon, that will likely eat about 12-13 of that space for 2015. That will leave us in the neighborhood of 15-17 million.

Our hopes for SuperBowl 50 will be tied to improvement of Adams, Barrington and R.Rodgers along with hopefully that ILB we have been looking for happening to be there when we pick. Is being competitive and hoping things fall right for us what we want to settle for.

Or

Would it be better to take that available cap and fill our places of need with some veteran FA. What if the best players remaining when we pick are not ILB. Do we reach and grab a lower ILB to try in plug the whole, passing up on better talent because we have a need to fill.

If we had spent that money this year on an upgrade at ILB or kept James Jones, either is probably enough to have us in the SB. We have the money to be able to go for more than just competitive without risking the long term future of the team.

DoddPower
9 years ago

If we had spent that money this year on an upgrade at ILB or kept James Jones, either is probably enough to have us in the SB. We have the money to be able to go for more than just competitive without risking the long term future of the team.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

The Packers didn't need James Jones or another ILB to get to the Super Bowl. They had the talent to beat the Seahawks, they just imploded and failed to do so. Of course a few better players would help. It always would, but they absolutely should have executed with the unit on the field.

Porforis
9 years ago

The Packers didn't need James Jones or another ILB to get to the Super Bowl. They had the talent to beat the Seahawks, they just imploded and failed to do so. Of course a few better players would help. It always would, but they absolutely should have executed with the unit on the field.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

In fact I think the only position at which the Packers clearly would have been better with someone, anyone but who we have at is TE, primarily this game. But pretty much everyone but Crosby contributed to this loss in a meaningful way. Talking about a 7-8M player making the difference is a huge what-if game.
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Since they didn't get to the SB it is hard to say they didn't need additional talent.

Speculation, but having Jones as #3 rather than Adams would have improved the offense which might have allowed us to score more resulting in a bigger score gap. Having Jones could have resulted in a better record changing the game from being in Seattle to GB. Same on the defensive side. Better ILB play would have stopped Seattle from scoring some, or giving us a better record.

With the amount of talent the team already has, I would rather spending a little more to try and improve our odds before we start losing some of these guys. We only have so long for Peppers. Neal and Perry, Daniels will all be coming up on contracts after this next season. With where this team is at, unless we get lucky we are not going to improve more just drafting and develop. With 22 starting positions, we are drafting to keep restocking. It will take something else to push the team a step further.
DoddPower
9 years ago

Since they didn't get to the SB it is hard to say they didn't need additional talent.

Speculation, but having Jones as #3 rather than Adams would have improved the offense which might have allowed us to score more resulting in a bigger score gap. Having Jones could have resulted in a better record changing the game from being in Seattle to GB. Same on the defensive side. Better ILB play would have stopped Seattle from scoring some, or giving us a better record.

With the amount of talent the team already has, I would rather spending a little more to try and improve our odds before we start losing some of these guys. We only have so long for Peppers. Neal and Perry, Daniels will all be coming up on contracts after this next season. With where this team is at, unless we get lucky we are not going to improve more just drafting and develop. With 22 starting positions, we are drafting to keep restocking. It will take something else to push the team a step further.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I'm not arguing that better talent wouldn't have helped. Of course it would. It always would. My point was that Green Bay had plenty of talent to win the NFC Championship game. But they didn't. I think they should have. Oh well.
gbguy20
9 years ago
I don't think the talent of the team had anything to do with our loss.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (20h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.