Zero2Cool
10 years ago
I watched this game with my dad today and when this happened I said how the hell did that take 10 seconds?

GREEN BAY—The final moments were as chaotic as it gets, so there was no time to settle things down and reassess.

But the Packers’ offensive linemen felt the officials weren’t exactly efficient with the operation of a 10-second runoff and re-spot of the ball, which allowed for only one last play to try to tie the game, rather than possibly two.

That one play, an incomplete pass to Jarrett Boykin in the end zone from the Pittsburgh 6-yard line, ultimately ended a 38-31 loss to the Steelers on Sunday at Lambeau Field.

“The league office will let everybody know what was supposed to go down, so we’ll see,” center Evan Dietrich-Smith said.

The confusion stemmed from Dietrich-Smith’s attempt to snap the ball before being told to wait as the final 10 seconds of the game began ticking away.

The Packers had reached the 1-yard line on a first-down run by James Starks, but right tackle Don Barclay was called for a false start on second down with 20 seconds left.

That put the ball back on the 6 and required a 10-second runoff, because the clock had been running before the penalty. Referee Carl Cheffers announced the clock would re-start at 10 seconds on his ready signal, and the Packers were at the line ready to snap it, but the umpire in the middle of the line told Dietrich-Smith to hold off.

“We were all up, all set, and he came up and told Evan to take his hand off the ball,” left guard Josh Sittonsaid. “Then we all kind of got up, and then he wound the clock. I think we were ready, and I think that took a few more seconds than it should have.”

The ball wasn’t snapped until only 3 seconds remained, and the clock was then at zero when Matt Flynn’s slant pass for Boykin sailed high and incomplete.

“It’s tough. It hurts,” Barclay said. “Especially when you’re sitting there ready to snap the ball and the ref was over our center not letting us. I don’t know what reason. We probably could have had two plays off if we could have snapped the ball when we were over it.”

Whether or not the chaos contributed to Flynn’s pass being off target is hard to say, but the Packers thought they gave themselves a good chance with the one play they ran.

“There was a lot of confusion. Whenever that situation comes up, I’ve never seen it run smooth with any team,” receiver Jordy Nelson said, referring to the 10-second runoff and the urgency that follows. “Matt took his time and got us into a play that allowed us to have an opportunity to score. We just didn’t complete it.”

Added left tackle David Bakhtiari: “The clock’s running, people are screaming. I wouldn’t say it’s the easiest situation.”

In the end, the killer was Barclay’s false start, because the Packers were going to try to punch it in from the 1-yard line with Starks and instead had to throw. Dietrich-Smith took the blame for Barclay’s penalty.

“That’s my fault,” he said. “That’s one of those things, it got really loud, I couldn’t really hear Matt, we were rushing trying to catch them off guard, I didn’t get the snap count 100 percent and snapped it late. I’ll take that one.”

That wasn’t the only damaging pre-snap penalty down the stretch for the Packers, though. With the score tied at 31 and the Steelers lining up for a go-ahead 28-yard field goal with 1:35 left, outside linebacker Nick Perryjumped offside, giving the Steelers a first down at the 5.

One play later, the Steelers had second-and-goal on the 1 and the Packers burned their last timeout with 1:28 left. Pittsburgh then made an arguably huge tactical error, not kneeling on the ball twice to run the clock down and kick a walk-off, chip-shot field goal.

Instead, running back Le’Veon Bell ran it in for the TD with 1:25 left, so the Packers – who smartly appeared to let him score – still had a chance to tie. Perry’s offside penalty, though, did force Green Bay to score a TD rather than just kick a field goal to force overtime.

“It’s an undisciplined play,” said Perry, who added he thought he saw the ball move in the snapper’s hand, but he appeared to be the only defender who flinched. “I jumped, and they capitalized.”

Considering the late comebacks the Packers had put together in the last month, culminating in the 23-point rally at Dallas last week, the Packers walked off the field stunned that they weren’t the ones capitalizing at the end.

“Yeah, we felt like till the very end, especially the way this season is going, coming off of last week, that these are the kind of games we’ve been in and we planned on winning,” said linebacker A.J. Hawk, whose third-quarter interception helped the Packers rally from 10 points down to tie the game at 31.

“That’s why it was so tough to let that one get away, because it felt like, especially with all the craziness back and forth, that we were going to come out on top.”

Because they didn’t, the Packers lost control of their playoff fate, which rested in the hands of the Eagles on Sunday night.

“I say it all the time, we don’t want to sit here and count on help,” Hawk said. “But obviously to keep us alive, we need some help tonight.”

Packers  wrote:

UserPostedImage
MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- When the Green Bay Packers go back and watch the film of the last 10 seconds of their 38-31 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers, they likely will feel differently.

But in the moments after the game, coach Mike McCarthy and many of his players believed the officials prevented them from getting the final play off as quickly as they had hoped.

A somewhat chaotic situation began when officials called a false start penalty on right tackle Don Barclay on second-and-goal from the 1-yard line with 20 seconds left.

Rob Demovsky  wrote:

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
The league will uphold the ref decision nothing will happen. GB takes it up the rear again.
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago

The league will uphold the ref decision nothing will happen. GB takes it up the rear again.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

No, they will say oops, we screwed up again. See how we police ourselves? We make sure we catch our mistakes. Then nothing will happen.

mi_keys
10 years ago

No, they will say oops, we screwed up again. See how we police ourselves? We make sure we catch our mistakes. Then nothing will happen.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

They only do that with the most egregious of errors. Hell, they barely said anything was wrong with the fail mary play if I recall correctly. Then they usually come out with some bullshit stat like 98% of calls were correct. They must count correctly assessing all 22 players on the field not jumping offsides--including defensive backs lined up 15 yards off the ball--as 22 correct calls in their statistics.

Bottom line: we don't jump offsides twice down the stretch--once on the field goal and once on the goal line--we win 38-34. Oh well, we live to fight another day.
Born and bred a cheesehead
nerdmann
10 years ago
Snap the fucking ball asshole.

If they wanna blow the whistle and stop play, let them. Snap the fucking ball.

Shit.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Shit.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

That would have been another 10 second runoff. Game over. This way they has one chance.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
10 years ago

Shit.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I am not putting this on the officals I am putting this on Mike McCarthy and Flynn. You line up and spike the ball and you still get 2 plays off. Stop being whinny little bitches and see we fucked up on our own. And no nerdman i wasn't yelling at you or anyone on this board I was calling the players whiny little bitches.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
macbob
10 years ago
NFL has admitted it screwed up (or at least an NFL spokesman):

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10203196/nfl-says-clock-started-prematurely-final-play-packers-steelers 

Clock early on Packers' final play

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy was correct when he claimed the officials mishandled the game clock in the final 10 seconds of Sunday's 38-31 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

An NFL spokesperson said on Friday that the game clock was started too soon.

"Due to a miscommunication between members of the officiating crew, the game clock was started prematurely on the final play of the game," the spokesperson said in a statement.

The problem began after referee Carl Cheffers correctly administered a 10-second runoff following a false start penalty on the Packers. Cheffers then gave the signal for the clock to start before umpire Undrey Wash gave Packers center Evan Dietrich-Smith the OK to snap the ball on a second-and-goal play from the 6-yard line.

By the time Wash gave his signal, several seconds had run off the clock.

Both quarterback Matt Flynn and Dietrich-Smith said they were looking at Wash and waiting for him to signal and didn't realize until after the fact that the clock had already started. On the final play of the game, Flynn's pass in the end zone was incomplete.

McCarthy said they should have been able to run two plays in the final 10 seconds. He said he spoke with the league about the matter but would not reveal the details of the conversation.

"We have an opportunity to send in our questions from the game in each and every week like we always do," McCarthy said. "I had a conversation with the league Monday. Those are private conversations. That all took place on Monday."

ESPN.com wrote:

UserPostedImage
DakotaT
10 years ago
This is something we don't need to whine about. The game turned out to be irrelevant anyway. Hell, I watched Wisconsin get hosed a lot worse at Arizona State this year. Ultimately there was poor clock management by both coaches, and the ref shouldn't have been given the opportunity to screw us.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (17h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (20h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (23h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (23h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (23h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (23h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (23h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (23h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (23h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (23h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (23h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (23h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.