texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
Seems like somebody brought this up in the Obamacare thread as a prime cause for whatever might be wrong with the country. I guess that could be taken several different ways. Being a counter-puncher, I'll just throw this out like a jump ball, and then wait to comment on what whoever might say.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
I also am waiting on this one. My feelings are so strong and complex I need to take my time or I become even crankier ("even more of a crank"?) than normal.

Plus, I expect my tendency to long posts will get quickly and completely out of control.

[boxing]
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Pack93z
10 years ago
Very briefly and in summary..

If you just follow the curriculum of a institution, I would say it probably is on the weak side and on a very narrow band. That said, there are select teachers/profs in each that are not lazy and just putting in the time that break that norm, too few and far between.

But also to be stated, it depends on the "student" as well.. you can do the minimum and not challenge what is being taught, receive a diploma and move on. Or you can take the seeds planted in the classroom, look at it from all angles, expand upon it and truly broaden your education, mind and thought process.

However, just as it is not the norm to have teachers that truly wish to lead the learning, the norm for the students is to do the minimum and follow along the path being paved.

Basically.. the problem is not just the institution.. it is the mind set of the student as well.

We want to sugar coat everything for ease, speed and to not look at the reality of life. We want to assume that every student can fit into the same parameters in what they should be taught and what they can handle.

Elementary through High school to me is to restrictive currently.. it gets better at the college level in terms of allowing the student to determine their own structure.. but only to a point. From my experience, the instructor base at the college level is even weaker overall than the prep ranks.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
If you had this in Random Babble, I'd be more inclined to jump in, but since you put it here, I can only assume you want to get nasty.
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
10 years ago

since I have two children in public schools at this time, I'd be happy to comment on this. the educational system we currently have "core curriculum" is a bloody joke!! if you've never heard of it, look it up. a whole lot of busy work with not much learning in return, would be my quick summary. all the schools care about is how the kids do on their ISAT tests. it's ridiculous. when I can't help my 5th graders with their math homework because they are doing something called 'butterfly math' which I have NEVER heard of, something is wrong. I showed them how I learned these types of math equations & they look at me like I'm a freakin moron!! when they actually sit down & watch me do it, they say how much easier it is the way I do it. DUH!! add into that the "mainstreaming" idea & every day is insanity for the kids in the classroom (also the teachers). i honestly feel sorry for the kids who have been mainstreamed & so do my kids. they both have a couple in each of their classes & they say those kids can't keep up, sometimes freak out & start tearing up their papers, throwing their books, & screaming. it's insane!! these types of things happen nearly every day in class.

guess what?? some kids should NOT be in a classroom setting - PERIOD!!!! it is doing none of the kids ANY good at all. the teachers are so overwhelmed dealing with all of this crap, they have a hard time connecting with their students. i can count on one hand the number of parents i see at class parties. it's sad. in my opinion, it's a problem with parents, students, schools, AND the government.

ok, I'm off my soapbox now.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

If you had this in Random Babble, I'd be more inclined to jump in, but since you put it here, I can only assume you want to get nasty.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I never really thought of it that way. I'm fine with you switching it if you want to.

Anyway, as you know, I'm not the one who makes things nasty hahaha.

I was especially wanting to hear your take on this, given your hinting in the other thread that you had a strong opinion.

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

since I have two children in public schools at this time, I'd be happy to comment on this. the educational system we currently have "core curriculum" is a bloody joke!! if you've never heard of it, look it up. a whole lot of busy work with not much learning in return, would be my quick summary. all the schools care about is how the kids do on their ISAT tests. it's ridiculous. when I can't help my 5th graders with their math homework because they are doing something called 'butterfly math' which I have NEVER heard of, something is wrong. I showed them how I learned these types of math equations & they look at me like I'm a freakin moron!! when they actually sit down & watch me do it, they say how much easier it is the way I do it. DUH!! add into that the "mainstreaming" idea & every day is insanity for the kids in the classroom (also the teachers). i honestly feel sorry for the kids who have been mainstreamed & so do my kids. they both have a couple in each of their classes & they say those kids can't keep up, sometimes freak out & start tearing up their papers, throwing their books, & screaming. it's insane!! these types of things happen nearly every day in class.

guess what?? some kids should NOT be in a classroom setting - PERIOD!!!! it is doing none of the kids ANY good at all. the teachers are so overwhelmed dealing with all of this crap, they have a hard time connecting with their students. i can count on one hand the number of parents i see at class parties. it's sad. in my opinion, it's a problem with parents, students, schools, AND the government.

ok, I'm off my soapbox now.

Originally Posted by: 4PackGirl 

I don't disagree with a word you say. I would just ask two things: who do you blame for the situation? and what would you suggest to do about it?

My take on that is the same people pushing what you don't like are the ones pushing a lot of the things that liberals (not necessarily you because I don't really know your views) push in other areas that IMO are harming the country in other ways.

dhazer
10 years ago
I dont have kids in school so the closest I can do is when I went back to college a few years ago and how much of a joke it was. The structures they have in place is a damn joke, The professors would actually tell you the answers that would be on the tests or they would sit down and actually go step by step on the home work so the grades were up there. Here is a great example, I got a degree in computer support and we had 20 people in class and they all graduated with a B or higher. But yet they all call me and one other guy and ask how to fix their computers. Also it was so embarrassing when I would ask these kids what certain days were like Dec 7th 1941 and they would have no idea. Now that brings the question "What the hell are they teaching these kids in elementary and High School? I read some articles that say that some schools actually was having kids change the constitution, And these kids had no Idea what was even in it?

Also what the hell is this bullshit "don't leave a kid behind bill?" If the kid can't pass a grade he shouldn't be pushed on to the next grade.

I actually feel sorry for some teachers and professors because their hands are tied with all the rules and regulations.

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
10 years ago

I don't disagree with a word you say. I would just ask two things: who do you blame for the situation? and what would you suggest to do about it?

My take on that is the same people pushing what you don't like are the ones pushing a lot of the things that liberals (not necessarily you because I don't really know your views) push in other areas that IMO are harming the country in other ways.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I would put education issues back in the hands of educators & OUT of the hands of politicians.
I would force the politicians to put lottery monies where it was supposed to go - the EDUCATION fund!!
I would make sure each school has a counselor (with all that lottery money - why not?)
Standardized testing would NOT be used to determine funding to schools.
I would hold each school accountable for the education of their students, allowing them a broadened educational vision to help those kids who are troubled instead of just passing them on to the next year. (yes this absolutely DOES go on - I've seen it with many kids)

those are just a few ideas off the top of my head.

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

I would put education issues back in the hands of educators & OUT of the hands of politicians.
I would force the politicians to put lottery monies where it was supposed to go - the EDUCATION fund!!
I would make sure each school has a counselor (with all that lottery money - why not?)
Standardized testing would NOT be used to determine funding to schools.
I would hold each school accountable for the education of their students, allowing them a broadened educational vision to help those kids who are troubled instead of just passing them on to the next year. (yes this absolutely DOES go on - I've seen it with many kids)

those are just a few ideas off the top of my head.

Originally Posted by: 4PackGirl 

About the counselor thing, my daughter when she first started was a counselor floating between 4 or 5 school districts too small to afford their own - one way to accomplish that.

Your paragraph about holding each school accountable ..... sounds like an extension of what you said previously about mainstreaming. I'm with you on that, but be aware, those L people would consider your idea a step backward.

Do they use standardized testing that way up there? Here, it can affect a teacher's job status - probably taboo there with unions. I'm conflicted on the testing. I used to teach, and there really is a lot of "teaching to the test" - probably not a good thing. On the other hand, some teachers would probably depart even more than now from teaching solid objective material that would prepare the students.

Saving your first idea for last, what do you mean by "educators"? If you get to the level where most curriculum decisions are made, the "educators" really are politicians of a sort. Down here, even local superintendents - who might be considered "educators" - are often way out of touch with parents and individual teachers. (In other words, they are L people hahaha). Whether I'm for or against putting education issues in the hands of the teachers, I guess, kinda depends on the teacher. At best you would get inconsistency - some would really mess up in terms of teaching good old fashioned nuts and bolts stuff.

My view, as a short time teacher and long time substitute always was, the main thing wrong with schools is the students - and that's a product of homes and families and the culture in general. So much time and effort is taken up controlling the bad ones that the good students don't get properly taught. It really only takes 3 or 4 students out of a class of 25 or so to really mess things up. The few classes fortunate enough to not have those discipline problems really sail along with good learning regardless of curriculum because there is plenty of time for everything.

My solution - which nobody in the educational community seems to like hahahaha - is something I experienced as a long term sub in what they used to call "reform school" - now whatever euphemism they give it. There was a "disciplinary aide" in each classroom along with the teacher, who sat in the back with a checklist - noting any violations, enough of which would cost the student a day - like "good time" in prisons. I was told, "Oh no, discipline is the teacher's job. Aides just don't do that". Well, they damn well should hahaha. I had this big retired army guy as my disciplinary aide, and with his iron hand (not literally - I'm not advocating return to corporal punishment), I had even those hard core kids who were there because they messed up in their regular school learning. One hour a day, he got to teach "character guidance" and I sat in the back with the clipboard. Do THAT in every classroom, and you will have some decent learning.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6m) : No.
Mucky Tundra (2h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (2h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (5h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (6h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (16h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (23h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.