nerdmann
10 years ago

The part where you say he is a great talent evaluator is proven how? Because some of the guys are starting for us, doesn't exactly mean they would start on other teams. And as many draft picks he has every year is like me saying ok I have 17 shells in my gun and I should be able to hit you with one or 2 lol. Does that make me a marksman?

I just don't see all this talent everyone is claiming we have.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

How many other teams would even be in the conversation after having lost 10+ starters? How good is the #5 tackle on most teams?

How good is the #4 QB on most teams?

Sure it'd be nice if our defenders knew who to cover on game day and stayed in their gaps, but that's a different subject.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
10 years ago

The part where you say he is a great talent evaluator is proven how? Because some of the guys are starting for us, doesn't exactly mean they would start on other teams. And as many draft picks he has every year is like me saying ok I have 17 shells in my gun and I should be able to hit you with one or 2 lol. Does that make me a marksman?

Ok well if hes not a very good talent evaluator that means theres a good number who are better so give us say 10 who are better.
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago
All I ask of Ted next year is to take a damn chance on a pretty good free agent. I know it's a broken record here, but it's time we do it for once.

Just try it for once. Hell if we aren't winning up to the standards, would it even hurt? Is it a money thing?

My argument on the matter is you can still have a good draft plus add key free agents.

Look at how much better the Bears got by adding Peppers, Marshall, those offensive lineman they picked up this year. It works.

Imagine our team with some of these key additions, it could put us over the top.. Even doing it next year we could be Super Bowl contenders

It's all fine and dandy that we've been great at drafting players for years. But it's catching up to us.

Is this the problem why we aren't winning? No. It just wouldn't hurt to try something new.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
Things are tough all over. This has been an uncommonly bad year for injuries for a lot of teams.

It seems that not very many are coming around to an anti-TT point of view. That is especially ironic since several of the biggest complainers about our personnel during gametime chat are still defending him.

Does anybody seriously think we would not have won these four games with Aaron Rodgers at QB? I would contend, however, that our O-Line has been underperforming all along, our D has been sub-standard for several years - masked by outscoring teams, our RBs were awful until this season, etc.

It seems like Ted Thompson has failed miserably on first round picks. Say what you want about bad luck on injuries - which is true, but the "good luck" of having Aaron Rodgers fall that far more than makes up for the bad luck.

I don't let McCarthy off the hook either. His reputation, like TT's is completely tied to having Rodgers. and arguably he has not maximized that benefit. I wouldn't excuse Campen either, although I don't think any badness attributed to him makes much difference - it's about personnel. I would, however excuse Capers. His job/his strong point is compensation - finessing opponents with tricks because the personnel he has to work with is sub-standard. Some of you short-memory guys don't remember what was his name? Robert Sanders? and the D Coordinator who came before him - both as plain vanilla as you can get. If we did that now - no blitzing/no tricks/no outguessing - we would probably give up about 60 points a game.

If getting back Aaron Rodgers and going back to outscoring teams while our QB is perpetually running for his life due to poor line blocking, etc. is good enough, the let Ted Thompson just keep on keeping on. That probably is what will happen. I'm just saying we COULD BE a lot better than that if Ted Thompson had done his job better/built a better supporting cast.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
10 years ago

All I ask of Ted next year is to take a damn chance on a pretty good free agent. I know it's a broken record here, but it's time we do it for once.

Just try it for once. Hell if we aren't winning up to the standards, would it even hurt? Is it a money thing?

My argument on the matter is you can still have a good draft plus add key free agents.

Look at how much better the Bears got by adding Peppers, Marshall, those offensive lineman they picked up this year. It works.

Imagine our team with some of these key additions, it could put us over the top.. Even doing it next year we could be Super Bowl contenders

It's all fine and dandy that we've been great at drafting players for years. But it's catching up to us.

Is this the problem why we aren't winning? No. It just wouldn't hurt to try something new.

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

If the Packers keep Capers around next year i think Jarius Bryd would do wonders for the Packers
UserPostedImage
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago

If the Packers keep Capers around next year i think Jarius Bryd would do wonders for the Packers

Originally Posted by: cheeseheads123 

I think we should move on from Capers. His defenses are so inconsistent. We just need a fresh mind, new players, on the defense. It's for the best. Capers just lost his edge...
steveishere
10 years ago
Stop saying that drafting rodgers was just luck. Its not like he was considered some all time great prospect. Not to mention we already had a hall of fame qb and in his first draft instead of improving the team around him he gets his replacement. That move took some major stones that most 1st year gms probably wouldnt have had the courage to do. He took a LOT of shit for it too from what I remember. That was far from luck.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Stop saying that drafting rodgers was just luck. Its not like he was considered some all time great prospect. Not to mention we already had a hall of fame qb and in his first draft instead of improving the team around him he gets his replacement. That move took some major stones that most 1st year gms probably wouldnt have had the courage to do. He took a LOT of sh!t for it too from what I remember. That was far from luck.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

If you remember, he was 50/50 to be the top pick in the draft according to all the so-called experts. The LUCK was NOT in drafting him - I give Ted Thompson credit for that. The LUCK was in having the opportunity to draft him.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
play2win
10 years ago

Your point is well taken dhazer. I did mention there were a lot of whiffs, and that it was dependent on a good number of players I listed turning the corner with what is left in the remainder of this season. If Sherrod doesn't contribute, if Perry stays on the sidelines, if Worthy doesn't make an impact, if Richardson does nothing special, if Cobb doesn't make it back, if Datone doesn't contribute, Palmer, Boyd, Tretter, McMillian, House, Neal, Burnett, Quarless, Newhouse, Starks… That's 4 years worth of picks and UDFA signings, and there is still opportunity for all of those players to either make something happen or tank.

Go deeper, the previous 4 years, and we've got Raji, Matthews, Lang, Brad Jones, Jordy Nelson, Sitton, Flynn, James Jones, Mason Crosby, Hawk, and Jolly. And then, the first year at the helm as GM of the Packers, we have Rodgers.

I think the jury is still out. Lots of proving to take place one way or another to realize whether Ted is really good, or nothing particularly special. Are we a good team or are we not? It is kind of hard to say right now. The real proving is about to take place to determine that.

We will see. Look at the team's draft success Rounds 1-3 over the past 3 years, and look who leads the way:
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/3/18/4098882/2010-2012-nfl-drafts-team-by-team-draft-success-in-first-three-rounds 

Green Bay is ranked 3rd from last. Yet, how many teams in the Top 15 have won Super Bowls? ZERO! Teams in the bottom 15 have won the last 8 Super Bowls in a row.

Looking at the last 5 years, overall draft success brings us more to middle of the road, according to this FWIW:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/370580-nfl-draft-ranking-nfl-franchises-and-their-draft-success/page/15 

Bigger point in this is that "team building" is not necessarily all about players drafted, and their physical prominence or prowess. There are character issues, coaching philosophies and personalities that require a collective focus to win, from top to bottom in the organization. I would say this is a really good group of players, with pretty damn good character, making them a stronger team, maybe better than their raw talents. We will see how strong, and if they can get the job of "winning" done. Every GM has plenty of whiffs in the draft. That goes with the territory. Just because Ted usually winds up with a higher number of picks doesn't mean he is a complete shotgun selector. He has done his share of trades up to land the players he likes with the extra picks, enough to dispel that monicker. He does have a very hard draft and develop philosophy. Not much we as fans can do about that.

Right now, they don't look like a very good team overall. There is still time for them to turn that around. Players and coaches, led by Ted Thompson. BTW, if you hit with the one shell out of many, and get the job done, you've still gotten the job done. These are the days that build character. We'll see if it works or not.
play2win
10 years ago

I think we should move on from Capers. His defenses are so inconsistent. We just need a fresh mind, new players, on the defense. It's for the best. Capers just lost his edge...

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

I'm thinking this is posing more of a problem for our team than we might be thinking. Granted, he has been trying the two previous seasons to do things without the right players, as the draft and develop process can prove to be a slow one. We have yet to replace Collins, Jenkins and Woodson, all three dynamic play makers on D.

I'll add player availability has been horrific. Strength and Conditioning has been as much of a problem for this team as has been Capers and what looks to be his lost edge.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (21m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (35m) : Yes
Zero2Cool (1h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (4h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (18h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
24m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.