porky88
  • porky88
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
10 years ago
He combined an aggressive nature with brilliant clock management. Every coach, including Mike McCarthy, should pay attention to what he did. The Saints ran a draw on third and long to setup Garrett Hartley with a field goal. Instead of letting the clock run to the two-minute warning, Payton took a timeout with 2:11 remaining. During the telecast, Joe Buck questioned the timeout. He would later presume Payton didn’t want Hartley to kick after a long break following the two-minute warning. He was wrong. Payton was saving time in case New Orleans got the ball back.

Hartley made the kick to tie the game with 2:06 remaining. As was accustom throughout the game, the kickoff was a touchback, so no time ran off the clock. San Francisco had to run a play before the two-minute warning. You could argue this was also saving time for the 49ers, but they were going to have at least two minutes and a timeout remaining. Time wasn’t much of a factor in their case.

Regardless, the Saints sacked Kaepernick on first down, and Payton again called a timeout with 2:01 remaining, forcing the 49ers to run another play before the two-minute warning. Two plays later, Kaepernick inexplicably ran out of bounds on a third and long, allowing the Saints to keep their last timeout. The 49ers had to punt the ball with 1:48 remaining.

Because of Payton’s clock management and Kaepernick’s mistake, the Saints got the ball back with a 1:41 remaining and one timeout. They probably saved about 30 seconds. I can’t remember the last time I saw a coach use his timeouts as wisely as Payton did.
DakotaT
10 years ago

He combined an aggressive nature with brilliant clock management. Every coach, including Mike McCarthy, should pay attention to what he did. The Saints ran a draw on third and long to setup Garrett Hartley with a field goal. Instead of letting the clock run to the two-minute warning, Payton took a timeout with 2:11 remaining. During the telecast, Joe Buck questioned the timeout. He would later presume Payton didn’t want Hartley to kick after a long break following the two-minute warning. He was wrong. Payton was saving time in case New Orleans got the ball back.

Hartley made the kick to tie the game with 2:06 remaining. As was accustom throughout the game, the kickoff was a touchback, so no time ran off the clock. San Francisco had to run a play before the two-minute warning. You could argue this was also saving time for the 49ers, but they were going to have at least two minutes and a timeout remaining. Time wasn’t much of a factor in their case.

Regardless, the Saints sacked Kaepernick on first down, and Payton again called a timeout with 2:01 remaining, forcing the 49ers to run another play before the two-minute warning. Two plays later, Kaepernick inexplicably ran out of bounds on a third and long, allowing the Saints to keep their last timeout. The 49ers have to punt the ball with 1:48 remaining.

Because of Payton’s clock management and Kaepernick’s mistake, the Saints got the ball back with a 1:41 remaining and one timeout. They probably saved about 30 seconds. I can’t remember the last time I saw a coach use his timeouts as wisely as Payton did.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Too bad he has that scandal on his resume'; might keep him out of the hall of fame. I'd love to see him coach Rodgers and bring out even more potential.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
10 years ago
I thought it was a great bit of coaching too. I always loved Payton as a coach.

Still don't know how that wasn't a safety though at the end. Refs seemed to not want to decide the game on a penalty.
DakotaT
10 years ago

I thought it was a great bit of coaching too. I always loved Payton as a coach.

Still don't know how that wasn't a safety though at the end. Refs seemed to not want to decide the game on a penalty.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

It was a safety, Kaep was not outside the right tackle. Would have been fun to watch Harbaugh explode on that one.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
10 years ago

It was a safety, Kaep was not outside the right tackle. Would have been fun to watch Harbaugh explode on that one.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Seemed weird to not throw the flag after the long delay for the flag on the New Orleans possession prior on the intentional grounding of Brees. I don't think the Saints could have run out the clock on the kick after the safety, but one first down I think would have done it.
DakotaT
10 years ago

Seemed weird to not throw the flag after the long delay for the flag on the New Orleans possession prior on the intentional grounding of Brees. I don't think the Saints could have run out the clock on the kick after the safety, but one first down I think would have done it.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

It's not weird, teams get screwed every week in the NFL. Today the correct team one that game in spite of the bad call.
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago

Regardless, the Saints sacked Kaepernick on first down, and Payton again called a timeout with 2:01 remaining, forcing the 49ers to run another play before the two-minute warning. Two plays later, Kaepernick inexplicably ran out of bounds on a third and long, allowing the Saints to keep their last timeout. The 49ers had to punt the ball with 1:48 remaining.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

I remember a game where the Dolphins were losing by a couple of scores and the team they were playing was moving the ball quite well. At about the 5 minute mark Shula called a TO for no apparent reason. After the next play he called another one. They got the ball back, scored quickly, stopped the other team and scored again to win the game. While 5 minutes out may seem a bit early to be calling TOs to save time it worked for the Dolphins in that game and it worked for Payton today. McCarthy wastes far too much time and he seems to want to hold all his timeouts for the last 20 or 30 seconds for some reason, his clock management skills are one of his weakest attributes if you ask me.

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.