VinceLambeauStarr
10 years ago
The NFL is a revolving business, year on year the turnover for playing staff means that teams are consistently remodeled. It's become an increasing rarity that a team or unit grows old together, which in itself can be a massive negative, case in point, the current Steelers defense.

To state more of the obvious:-

The most prized position is Quarterback, as we have known for many an eon. Having a durable, Hall of Fame caliber quarterback means that whilst sourcing a capable backup is still very important, care must be given not to disrupt the week upon week preparation.

No one could have envisioned that Aaron Rodgers would miss multiple games for the first time in his career, but here we are.

This year our beloved team has faced more adversity than any in Mike McCarthy's tenure, our Superbowl winning year included.

A quick look at injuries by position plays very favorably in the argument that Ted Thompson and staff are meticulous developers and planners.

QB - We will wait and see
RB - Lacy has missed time due to a concussion, BOTH other runners on the depth chart have contributed majorly in games. Dujuan Harris also got injured before the season started. In terms of making a statement on depth? Resounding.
FB - N/A
WR's - Cobb and Jones have missed time, Boykin and White stepped up. This can also reflect on Aaron Rodgers, but let's not forget that it's the recievers who have to make the catches, and contribute to the building of chemistry
TE - Quarless is proving a capable fill in
OL - Bulaga went down during preseason, and Bakhtiari is stating a strong claim as a permanent fixture.

DL - We are deep here, and relatively healthy. A quick glance at IR shows Worthy, a 2nd round draft pick.
LB - Lattimore steps in for Jones, and performs very well. On the flipside, Matthews absence has been very noticeable
DB - Our youngest corps, and one which I envision the talent level to keep increasing

In conclusion, we are in the upper echelon of teams that are designed to deal with multiple injuries spanning multiple positions, and with that in mind I cannot fault not having a better backup quarterback. One who can still prove us all wrong, lest we are sages with the power of perception.

UserPostedImage 
Zero2Cool is my captain.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

To state more of the obvious:-

The most prized position is Quarterback, as we have known for many an eon. Having a durable, Hall of Fame caliber quarterback means that whilst sourcing a capable backup is still very important, care must be given not to disrupt the week upon week preparation.

No one could have envisioned that Aaron Rodgers would miss multiple games for the first time in his career, but here we are.

Originally Posted by: VinceLambeauStarr 

This is the only part of your post I have an issue with.

After a very brief check on the NFL QBs. Only a small portion of them have not missed games due to injures. Of those who have not missed games often that is because they have only been in the league for 1-3 years. Their time may well be coming.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that the prized position is the QB and that all the mayhem on the field is most often focused on the QB or in near proximity. it can be something as simple as Linemen have frequently inadvertently fallen or rolled onto the leg of another player injuring him.

The front office has to have a better than than "We hope nothing bad will happen". They can't trot a guy out there who doesn't get more than a handful of snaps with the first team a week. Certainly not someone who was added after training camp was done and then expect him to be able to succeed.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
Is Packer "depth" at the positions where it is on the better end really any better than most teams around the league? And you take the worst example (other than QB), the offensive line, I would suggest our depth is and has been for years, a lot worse than most teams.

ALL OF THAT WAS MASKED BY THE FACT THAT WE HAVE THE BEST QB BY FAR IN THE NFL. Aaron Rodgers had the great success he had while virtually never having a lot of time to throw - basically running for his life and STILL making incredible passes. Until this season, he had woefully inadequate RBs. Our WRs are really good, but they aren't Calvin Johnson or A.j. Green - basically they are what they are mostly because of Rodgers.

Now Rodgers is down for hopefully a short time, but who knows? And all of the problems stick out like a sore thumb - and you can't really even say it's "depth" - more like it's the "supporting cast" to the star who is now out.

Thank You TT.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
10 years ago

Is Packer "depth" at the positions where it is on the better end really any better than most teams around the league? And you take the worst example (other than QB), the offensive line, I would suggest our depth is and has been for years, a lot worse than most teams.

ALL OF THAT WAS MASKED BY THE FACT THAT WE HAVE THE BEST QB BY FAR IN THE NFL. Aaron Rodgers had the great success he had while virtually never having a lot of time to throw - basically running for his life and STILL making incredible passes. Until this season, he had woefully inadequate RBs. Our WRs are really good, but they aren't Calvin Johnson or A.j. Green - basically they are what they are mostly because of Rodgers.

Now Rodgers is down for hopefully a short time, but who knows? And all of the problems stick out like a sore thumb - and you can't really even say it's "depth" - more like it's the "supporting cast" to the star who is now out.

Thank You TT.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

How many teams could lose both starting Ts and still contend?

This team doesn't have "depth" on the OL, in the sense that they're only actually carring 6 or 7 OL right now. LOL. But they pretty much all can play. When we get our starters back, the guys who are starting now are gonna be the best backups in the league.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
10 years ago

How many teams could lose both starting Ts and still contend?

This team doesn't have "depth" on the OL, in the sense that they're only actually carring 6 or 7 OL right now. LOL. But they pretty much all can play. When we get our starters back, the guys who are starting now are gonna be the best backups in the league.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

You would think so wouldn't you. The problem is that someone always seems to be getting hurt and we are always in this position. I remember everyone last year saying we will be getting this guy back and that guy back and training camp will be a real battle and we will be stacked. Then TC rolls around and someone else gets hurt and the battles never materialize and we are left saying next year we will have this guy back and that guy back and training camp will be a real battle and we will be stacked.

I like your idea in theory and not just the way it applies to the O line. and if we can ever shake the injury bug we will be loaded.

sschind
10 years ago

This is the only part of your post I have an issue with.

After a very brief check on the NFL QBs. Only a small portion of them have not missed games due to injures. Of those who have not missed games often that is because they have only been in the league for 1-3 years. Their time may well be coming.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that the prized position is the QB and that all the mayhem on the field is most often focused on the QB or in near proximity. it can be something as simple as Linemen have frequently inadvertently fallen or rolled onto the leg of another player injuring him.

The front office has to have a better than than "We hope nothing bad will happen". They can't trot a guy out there who doesn't get more than a handful of snaps with the first team a week. Certainly not someone who was added after training camp was done and then expect him to be able to succeed.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I agree but what do you do about it? You said in another post that you can't keep cutting guys and bringing in new guys every 2 months and expect good things to come of it and I agree but what if the guys you have are not doing what you had hoped they would by this point. Is it better to keep someone around just because they have been around or is it better to go out and get someone who you think will be better. Obviously the best answer is to get someone better to begin with but that is easier said than done as we have seen.

Maybe its time for Ted Thompson to target a young QB a little higher than the 7th round or UDFA (not that draft position guarantees a better player) and work him up. Hopefully we won't have to look at him as the QB of the future for a few more draft cycles but maybe we could get him to the point where we can move him and upgrade his draft position. Ron Wolf always seemed to be able to do that. Ted Thompson could have had one with Matt Flynn but we ended up with nothing to show for it (at least I don't think we got any picks for him, I could be wrong.)

steveishere
10 years ago
We got a 5th round pick for Flynn. I don't really see any scenario where we could have gotten anything more for him.
steveishere
10 years ago

Thank You TT.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Our depth on the offensive line is starting right now and is far from one of the worst in the league so I don't see how the depth there can be considered bad. I think it's a different ball game if Sherrod and Bulaga are your starting tackles and Bakhtiari and Barclay are your back ups. Now our depth with our back ups being the starters is pretty bad but I don't see how that is a worse situation than anyone else would be in.

That crap about the WRs not being Calvin Johnson or AJ Green is bs. Calvin Johnson is having a hall of fame career, you expect us to have all hall of fame WRs or something? I tell you one thing I wouldn't trade our WRs for Detroits. You aren't giving our WRs enough credit either having Rodgers helps them but Jordy Nelson and Cobb are damn good players. I guess Jordy had the best game of his career with Matt Flynn at QB because of the "aura" of Rodgers or something right?

nerdmann
10 years ago

You would think so wouldn't you. The problem is that someone always seems to be getting hurt and we are always in this position. I remember everyone last year saying we will be getting this guy back and that guy back and training camp will be a real battle and we will be stacked. Then TC rolls around and someone else gets hurt and the battles never materialize and we are left saying next year we will have this guy back and that guy back and training camp will be a real battle and we will be stacked.

I like your idea in theory and not just the way it applies to the O line. and if we can ever shake the injury bug we will be loaded.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

We just got Sherrod back.

There is a record number of ACLs in the league this year. I think it may have to do with the issue of "tackling low" so as to avoid any appearance of helmet contact. Not sure why this team has had so many hammies. It's weird. Kind of pissing me off. But it's not on Ted, per se.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
10 years ago

We got a 5th round pick for Flynn. I don't really see any scenario where we could have gotten anything more for him.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Was that 5th rounder for Flynn or because we basically swapped a competent center in Wells for a Saturday that couldn't play on Sunday
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (11h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (14h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (17h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (18h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.