sschind
10 years ago

I am not basing my opinion on 1 game.
Actually we do have enough data on Seneca to make an informed decision. he has been on 5 other teams. There are some poor GMs and HCs out there but what are the odds that all of them are wrong? Its slim.
I can wait around for 3-4 weeks and say Wallace stinks or I can say what I think right now before all the "proof" is in. I would like to be wrong. I will be at the game Sunday with my son. I am not saying Gb won't win any games while Aaron is out. I am saying Wallace is not a quality starting QB at this stage of his career and if GB wins it will be because other players win it or because Philly loses it.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

So you think we should have kept Harrell and/or Coleman simply because they were with us through the entire off season despite the fact that neither one of them showed any real prowess on the field? Or maybe we should have stuck with Young since he was on the team for a few more weeks than Wallace and even though he pretty much sucked during the pre season as well.

I agree that constantly changing players is not the best way to get things done but when the players you have aren't any good (Harrell, Coleman, Young) I don't have a problem with trying someone new. Maybe that someone new will suck as well but I'd rather at least try for someone that is better rather than stick with someone who sucks simply because they have been here for a long time. I do agree that Ted Thompson could have and should have (in hindsight) done more to shore up the backup QB position early on but do you really think he thought both Harrell and Coleman would be so bad.

If Wallace sucks this week and we lose because of it I will be one of the first to admit it but I am not going to go into the game, like some people on this site, with the attitude that he will suck and that the game is already lost. Especially when the other options we had would not have given me any more confidence in a victory.

I think the Packers can win and no I don't think Wallace will win or even can win the game on his own. It will take a concerted effort by everyone but if the entire team plays the way they did in the three games prior to the Bears game I can see it happening. We have the Eagles, Giants, vikings and Lions in the next four weeks and even without Rodgers, and even with Wallace we are at least as good as all three of them. I see no reason to think that if the team pulls together we can not win at least 2 of them. The worst I see the Packers coming out of the next four weeks is a game back and if Rodgers is back by then I think we can easily make that game up.

There may be some merit to the "expect the worst" mentality in that there are fewer disappointments but I prefer to be optimistic.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Skip BAYLESS is a tool. I hope no one Google's "what has skip bayless gotten wrong" because the massive data returned would broke the interwebz.

Lol, okay. Bit rich considering you used the asshole and flip the bird emoticons but I find it entertaining.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

I was hoping the smiley face with the asshole sign would give it away that I was joking. I'm not that uptight, geez. :)

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

So you think we should have kept Harrell and/or Coleman simply because they were with us through the entire off season despite the fact that neither one of them showed any real prowess on the field? Or maybe we should have stuck with Young since he was on the team for a few more weeks than Wallace and even though he pretty much sucked during the pre season as well.

I agree that constantly changing players is not the best way to get things done but when the players you have aren't any good (Harrell, Coleman, Young) I don't have a problem with trying someone new. Maybe that someone new will suck as well but I'd rather at least try for someone that is better rather than stick with someone who sucks simply because they have been here for a long time. I do agree that Ted Thompson could have and should have (in hindsight) done more to shore up the backup QB position early on but do you really think he thought both Harrell and Coleman would be so bad.

If Wallace sucks this week and we lose because of it I will be one of the first to admit it but I am not going to go into the game, like some people on this site, with the attitude that he will suck and that the game is already lost. Especially when the other options we had would not have given me any more confidence in a victory.

I think the Packers can win and no I don't think Wallace will win or even can win the game on his own. It will take a concerted effort by everyone but if the entire team plays the way they did in the three games prior to the Bears game I can see it happening. We have the Eagles, Giants, vikings and Lions in the next four weeks and even without Rodgers, and even with Wallace we are at least as good as all three of them. I see no reason to think that if the team pulls together we can not win at least 2 of them. The worst I see the Packers coming out of the next four weeks is a game back and if Rodgers is back by then I think we can easily make that game up.

There may be some merit to the "expect the worst" mentality in that there are fewer disappointments but I prefer to be optimistic.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I don't know that I said or intended to say that GB will lose no matter what. Absolutely they can win but that is because Philly is a pretty mediocre team. If they win most likely it will be a team effort. If they lose more than likely it will be because of Wallace. (Int or fumbles.) They will say they win as a team and lose as a team but that is not always true. You hae to expect more from the leader of the team than every one else.

As for should they have kept another QB just because he was there longer. No you said it Ted failed at securing a quality backup years ago. It doesn't take a genius to know, back in 2010 that Flynn was going to leave to try and become a starter somewhere else. They could have been grooming his replacement back then. Yeah it leads to a revolving door at QB but hey that is the price you pay to have an elite QB. They opted to go with only 2 QB and have a 3rd on the PS. 20 years ago maybe more I heard a coach say it takes 3 years to develop a QB in the NFL. It has not gotten shorter with the more complicated systems.

We are seeing the downside to that kind of move. (2 QB) Yes GB has had injuries and needed the extra spot to fill in at other positions. But not carrying 3 QB doesn't bite you in the butt in one season only. A decision like that carries over as a problem 3 or 4 years later as well. Not having enough players at RB or LB or CB are only an issue for one year. Not so for QB. If they want to only have 2 QB on the roster and one on the PS then they MUST be right (perfect) in their evaluation and clearly they were wrong 3 or 4 times in a row. That is inexcusable. They are the professional evaluators. it is their job to know who has enough talent. Who can they develop. It seems as if they believed the urban legend nonsense that all they would have to do is get some stiff into one of Mike's famous QB clinics and he could transform a bum into a Hall of Famer. (Yes I am exaggerating.)
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Skip BAYLESS is a tool. I hope no one Google's "what has skip bayless gotten wrong" because the massive data returned would broke the interwebz.

I was hoping the smiley face with the asshole sign would give it away that I was joking. I'm not that uptight, geez. :)

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I was not aware of his negativity toward Aaron Rodgers, and yeah, that alone is a sign of wrongheadedness. However, I've heard him various times on football, basketball, baseball, etc., and generally what he says rings true - more so than what others around him are saying. I have extremely little respect for news media, sports and otherwise, but Bayliss certainly seems no worse than any of the rest of them.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
It's not a case of the Packers lose no matter what, but if the Eagles have any sense at all, they will avoid taking chances and handing the game to us with turnovers, and they will do like the Bears did when they finally came out of their stop Aaron Rodgers defense - pack it in to stop the run - assuming Wallace couldn't pass worth shit.

HOW are we gonna win if it plays out like that? The only way is if Wallace is a helluva lot better than I believe he even has the capability to be - or if McCarthy pulls the plug on him early enough that Tolzien or whoever can come in and win it.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

I was not aware of his negativity toward Aaron Rodgers, and yeah, that alone is a sign of wrongheadedness. However, I've heard him various times on football, basketball, baseball, etc., and generally what he says rings true - more so than what others around him are saying. I have extremely little respect for news media, sports and otherwise, but Bayliss certainly seems no worse than any of the rest of them.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

You can't even spell his name properly, Skip Bayless. Obviously you have no respect for him and know even less about him.

Skip Bayless is going the avenue of Eminem 10 years ago. Say something to SHOCK everyone to get attention. Guess what. It made both rich. Think about it. If he were to say something that went in line with most others, would he be noticed? Nope. THAT IS EXACTLY why he goes against the grain. Christ almighty, he even acknowledged it!!

UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

You can't even spell his name properly, Skip Bayless. Obviously you have no respect for him and know even less about him.

Skip Bayless is going the avenue of Eminem 10 years ago. Say something to SHOCK everyone to get attention. Guess what. It made both rich. Think about it. If he were to say something that went in line with most others, would he be noticed? Nope. THAT IS EXACTLY why he goes against the grain. Christ almighty, he even acknowledged it!!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I plead guilty to the spelling thing hahahaha, and not respecting him or any other "journalist" much either. And I also plead guilty to knowing next to zilch about Eminem (wasn't he that white wannabe who tried to sound black? Or is that somebody else?)

I have heard Bayless talk on a variety of subjects, and he made sense. The shock thing must be something his detractors conjure up because they are jealous of him. Do you have any examples - other than disrespecting Aaron Rodgers?

Pack93z
10 years ago

I have heard Bayless talk on a variety of subjects, and he made sense. The shock thing must be something his detractors conjure up because they are jealous of him. Do you have any examples - other than disrespecting Aaron Rodgers?

Just a quick example:

Bayless on the ND vs Michigan rivalry: How he followed the games for decades...

This is not an historical... Are you kidding me? I mean, I grew up, I couldn't wait for Michigan-Notre Dame, going back to Bubba Smith

First problem.. Bubba Smith played for Michigan State.. second when Smith was in college.. ND and Michigan didn't play.. that entire decade.

He with frame his argument with anything he can get his mouth behind.. even if it is completely incorrect. I think DeadSpin did a piece on him and some of the other ESPN hacks.. how they are so factually incorrect on topics to flat out lying. I think Mark May is one of the targets.

But just listen to him any given day.. his job is to be combative apparently.. regardless how weak his position is.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Just a quick example:

Bayless on the ND vs Michigan rivalry: How he followed the games for decades...

First problem.. Bubba Smith played for Michigan State.. second when Smith was in college.. ND and Michigan didn't play.. that entire decade.

He with frame his argument with anything he can get his mouth behind.. even if it is completely incorrect. I think DeadSpin did a piece on him and some of the other ESPN hacks.. how they are so factually incorrect on topics to flat out lying. I think Mark May is one of the targets.

But just listen to him any given day.. his job is to be combative apparently.. regardless how weak his position is.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

OK, good example with the ND/Michigan or MSU thing - I'd call that confusion or stupidity, not shock, but whatever.

As for the combative thing, that's my impression of Steven A on their show - Bayless says something sensible, then Steven A gets pissy about it - not always, but most of the time when I've watched. I wouldn't be surprised if it's all scripted, and even if they reverse roles sometimes, but I still say I have heard more good than bad from him (Bayless).

And on the relevant issue here - Seneca Wallace - they both agreed, he wasn't a decent NFL QB.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

And on the relevant issue here - Seneca Wallace - they both agreed, he wasn't a decent NFL QB.

I'm quite positive most with a heartbeat agree as there aren't even 32 decent starting QB's, it's a little unreasonable to bash a General Manager for NOT having a starting caliber backup in the salary cap age.

However, blindly saying Vince Young would have won the game is just absurd. I don't believe Vince Young plays defense and the defense LOST the game to the Bears. It's that simple.

Packers just need Wallace to play smart football and move the chains. The deep game is gone, it has to be. I didn't see anything wrong with Wallace's arm strength, but I have no confidence in his deep ball, primarily because I haven't seen him attempt one of note.

The football field has to be 10 yards long on every drive. Move the chains, eat clock and let the defense be in full attack mode with being fresh. They do this, they will win.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.