Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 3, 2013 6:44:11 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 12,352
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,751
Applause Received: 1,319

JSOnline wrote:
Having spent much of the week researching the long career of No. 2 quarterback Seneca Wallace, the guess here is that even if the Packers were to lose Aaron Rodgers early Monday night against the Chicago Bears they’d find ways to finish 11-5.


McGinn points to all the players GB has lost due to injury over the past 4 years and still won so they could do it if Rodgers went down for the rest of the season. THAT IS BECAUSE THEY HAD AARON FOR MOST OF THOSE GAMES BOB. They may stumble along and win against weaker teams because of their defense but they will be a shell of their former self with all the injuries they have already had this year AND losing Aaron they would not be a competitive team.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Sponsor
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:05:36 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,918
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,304
Applause Received: 577

FACT. This team won most of it's Superbowls WITHOUT Aaron Rodgers.

Seneca is a career journeyman. But as McGinn points out, he's 11-10 against the spread, which controls for the shittiness of your team.

We've got enough weapons around him that we could still win. I know I always use this example, but it's true. Remember how everyone was wailing and giving up when Barclay got his first start last year? Well it turned out Barclay could get it done.

Keep in mind, we've also got that running game now. Seneca can turn and hand the ball to Eddie Lacy. Not a problem.

If anything, the offense would have to be scaled down, like it has been with all these receivers out. As we have seen, that forces Mike to adhere to FUNDAMENTALS. For example, instead of trying to score fast, so as to rack up as many stats as possible, they're cultivating time of possession. This keeps the defense fresh, wears down the OTHER defense (as we saw against the Queens) and has the added side benefit of preventing the other team from running nearly as many plays on offense.

Seneca's not gonna be passing up open guys, looking for the deep routes to get open. He's gonna be getting the ball out in 2.5.

Game manager.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:07:37 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Posts: 2,535
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 389
Applause Received: 224

Anything is possible, but I doubt it.

The Packers O Line just doesn't give a QB much time to throw. Maybe Wallace could run for his life and throw on the run, but not anything like Aaron Rodgers. Also, Rodgers is disciplined way beyond anything I've seen from any other QB in terms of not making ill-advised throws. Maybe Wallace is a little bit that way too, but NOBODY is like Aaron Rodgers.

As for a running game, whenever the D of the other team knows it's coming, our line just can't seem to open any holes. Lacy is better than anything we have had in a long time, but he can't make something out of nothing like Adrian Peterson or Barry Sanders or O.J. or Jim Brown or Gayle Sayers (I see a little bit of that in the Badgers Gordon - but that's a different topic).

Without Rodgers, we would be sunk against any decent team. Probably the Bears still qualify as that.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 11/3/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:27:16 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,918
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,304
Applause Received: 577

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Anything is possible, but I doubt it.

The Packers O Line just doesn't give a QB much time to throw. Maybe Wallace could run for his life and throw on the run, but not anything like Aaron Rodgers. Also, Rodgers is disciplined way beyond anything I've seen from any other QB in terms of not making ill-advised throws. Maybe Wallace is a little bit that way too, but NOBODY is like Aaron Rodgers.

As for a running game, whenever the D of the other team knows it's coming, our line just can't seem to open any holes. Lacy is better than anything we have had in a long time, but he can't make something out of nothing like Adrian Peterson or Barry Sanders or O.J. or Jim Brown or Gayle Sayers (I see a little bit of that in the Badgers Gordon - but that's a different topic).

Without Rodgers, we would be sunk against any decent team. Probably the Bears still qualify as that.


Bullshit.

Aaron doesn't make ill advised throws? Really? He won't throw a Hail Mary at the end of the half, because he's afraid of having an INT on his stat sheet. That's true. But did you see those TDs to Jordy last week? Dude wasn't open. Aaron zinged it right past the CB's helmet.

And yeah Seneca is a running QB. So much so, that he's actually played WR in the NFL. But he's also not gonna be holding the ball for 8.5.

As for Eddie Lacy, he's made something out of nothing many times. I still think Franklin is better at that. He's a little shiftier, he's just being taught a lesson about ball security.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline wpr  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:41:24 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 12,352
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,751
Applause Received: 1,319

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
FACT. This team won most of it's Superbowls WITHOUT Aaron Rodgers.

.

Totally and completely FALSE.
THIS team has won nothing with or without Rodgers when it comes to Superbowls. THIS team has not even made it to the playoffs yet. You can not look at 1960's and say because they won without Aaron the current team can win. The guys who played back then are too old now.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 2 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 11/3/2013(UTC), sschind on 11/3/2013(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 3, 2013 8:07:32 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Posts: 2,535
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 389
Applause Received: 224

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Bullsh!t.

Aaron doesn't make ill advised throws? Really? He won't throw a Hail Mary at the end of the half, because he's afraid of having an INT on his stat sheet. That's true. But did you see those TDs to Jordy last week? Dude wasn't open. Aaron zinged it right past the CB's helmet.

And yeah Seneca is a running QB. So much so, that he's actually played WR in the NFL. But he's also not gonna be holding the ball for 8.5.

As for Eddie Lacy, he's made something out of nothing many times. I still think Franklin is better at that. He's a little shiftier, he's just being taught a lesson about ball security.


I didn't say Rodgers is a machine that NEVER puts it up for grabs or whatever (those throws to Nelson certainly weren't an example of THAT).

As for Wallace running, I would rather have had Vince Young. Undoubtedly Wallace could escape and throw it sometimes, maybe even occasionally complete. The point is, our O Line, sadly, makes that necessary way too often. The point also is, NOBODY does it quite like Aaron Rodgers - not even close.

I like Lacy a lot - Franklin not so much, but without a great threat of a pass to set them up, the O Line just doesn't give them a chance - and that get hit in the backfield, bounce off 2 or 3 times, change direction and be off to the races thing just doesn't happen for either Lacy or Franklin like it does for those other guys I mentioned.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Wade  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 3, 2013 8:20:40 AM(UTC)
Wade

Rank: All Pro

Posts: 5,768
Joined: 8/1/2009(UTC)
Location: nowhere of importance

Applause Given: 630
Applause Received: 648

Never understood what people see in McGinn. IMO he's just another hack reporter/pseudo-journalist. But that's me bias.

I do know I don't like tempting fate this way. Rodgers better not go down. Just because the Packers can whip a hapless team like the Vikings doesn't make them a juggernaut without their all-world QB.

Rodgers goes down for any length of time and this team isn't going to be a one-and-done wild card team.







None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
thanks Post received 3 applause.
wpr on 11/3/2013(UTC), DakotaT on 11/3/2013(UTC), DoddPower on 11/3/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 3, 2013 8:41:05 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 12,352
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,751
Applause Received: 1,319

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Never understood what people see in McGinn. IMO he's just another hack reporter/pseudo-journalist. But that's me bias.

I do know I don't like tempting fate this way. Rodgers better not go down. Just because the Packers can whip a hapless team like the Vikings doesn't make them a juggernaut without their all-world QB.

Rodgers goes down for any length of time and this team isn't going to be a one-and-done wild card team.




I don't thin a screwball journalist wannabe can jinx a team or player. Otherwise every hack in the land would be writing/raving about the opposition's key player hoping to cause some sort of calamity. SI not withstanding.


Speaking of which- A few weeks ago they had the The Atlanta Braves' Upton brothers doing cheesecake pix with Kate Upton. One of the pix was the front cover. A reader wrote a letter to the editor telling them if Kate is injured and misses out on this year's photo shoots he will cancel his subscription to SI. I almost choked.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 3, 2013 8:49:30 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,918
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,304
Applause Received: 577

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I didn't say Rodgers is a machine that NEVER puts it up for grabs or whatever (those throws to Nelson certainly weren't an example of THAT).

As for Wallace running, I would rather have had Vince Young. Undoubtedly Wallace could escape and throw it sometimes, maybe even occasionally complete. The point is, our O Line, sadly, makes that necessary way too often. The point also is, NOBODY does it quite like Aaron Rodgers - not even close.

I like Lacy a lot - Franklin not so much, but without a great threat of a pass to set them up, the O Line just doesn't give them a chance - and that get hit in the backfield, bounce off 2 or 3 times, change direction and be off to the races thing just doesn't happen for either Lacy or Franklin like it does for those other guys I mentioned.



Wallace is a pro's pro. Young is a headcase. The Randy Moss of QBs.

That said, they could bring him back in the offseason. Who knows how he'd look if he actually learned the offense. Wallace has a strong background in WCO (which is what he would be running, unlike Aaron's Run and Shoot.)

I hope to hell Aaron never goes down, but if he did I'd still tune in and watch, and I wouldn't even be shitting myself.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DakotaT  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:04:14 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 7,259
Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,299

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Totally and completely FALSE.
THIS team has won nothing with or without Rodgers when it comes to Superbowls. THIS team has not even made it to the playoffs yet. You can not look at 1960's and say because they won without Aaron the current team can win. The guys who played back then are too old now.


This makes absolutely no sense, and Texas liking it proves the theorem. I know you guys are old, but Alzheimer's already?
UserPostedImage
Offline gbguy20  
#11 Posted : Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:20:06 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,240
Joined: 8/28/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 280

terrible article idea, i hope the writer knocked on wood.
call me Dan
Offline DoddPower  
#12 Posted : Sunday, November 3, 2013 11:05:14 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Posts: 2,715
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,774
Applause Received: 418

Nerdmann so dumb. But we all knew that, anyway. Wanna Box? Wanna Box?
Offline sschind  
#13 Posted : Sunday, November 3, 2013 4:01:15 PM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 911
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 101
Applause Received: 390

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
This makes absolutely no sense, and Texas liking it proves the theorem. I know you guys are old, but Alzheimer's already?


I guess it depends on what Nerd meant by "this team" If he meant the Green Bay Packers then yes, he is right If he meant the current team then no, they have not won anything besides 5 games this season. All of them with Aaron Rodgers.

If Rodgers were to go down against the Bears I think Wallace could easily manage 4-5 even 5-4 against the remainder of the schedule. 4-5 might get a WC 5-4 would probably get a WC and might even get the division depending on the wins.

Could he win vs playoff caliber opponents? I think he could. Could he win the SB, again I think he could but I wouldn't bet on it.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline wpr  
#14 Posted : Sunday, November 3, 2013 4:30:40 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 12,352
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,751
Applause Received: 1,319

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
I guess it depends on what Nerd meant by "this team" If he meant the Green Bay Packers then yes, he is right If he meant the current team then no, they have not won anything besides 5 games this season. All of them with Aaron Rodgers.

If Rodgers were to go down against the Bears I think Wallace could easily manage 4-5 even 5-4 against the remainder of the schedule. 4-5 might get a WC 5-4 would probably get a WC and might even get the division depending on the wins.

Could he win vs playoff caliber opponents? I think he could. Could he win the SB, again I think he could but I wouldn't bet on it.


Of course nerd meant the Packers organization as a whole which is a little silly. It doesn't matter what any other team did. Not even 2012 team which had so many of the current players on it. The team can only deal with the next game on their schedule not look backwards t years gone by in order to predict future victories.

If Wallace the full complement of starters he would have some chance of success but stripped as they are he will struggle because one thing is certain try as he might Wallace is no Rodgers and can not expect to have the same success Rodgers achieves.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline texaspackerbacker  
#15 Posted : Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:24:43 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Posts: 2,535
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 389
Applause Received: 224

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Of course nerd meant the Packers organization as a whole which is a little silly. It doesn't matter what any other team did. Not even 2012 team which had so many of the current players on it. The team can only deal with the next game on their schedule not look backwards t years gone by in order to predict future victories.

If Wallace the full complement of starters he would have some chance of success but stripped as they are he will struggle because one thing is certain try as he might Wallace is no Rodgers and can not expect to have the same success Rodgers achieves.


I applauded wpr's post because I thought it was nice sarcasm. It's a big duh that WE won Super Bowls before Aaron Rodgers - before he was born. Oops, I said WE, and none of us were there blocking for or catching passes from Bart or Brett. At least I don't think so hahahaha.

To me, there's nothing sacred about the WCO. The scheme didn't make the personnel; The personnel made the scheme successful.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 11/4/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
4 Pages123>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Recent Topics
3h / Fantasy Sports Talk / pitt yinzer

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / uffda udfa

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

14h / Announcements / Zero2Cool

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / OlHoss1884

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake


Tweeter

Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.