You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dyeah_gb  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:53:41 PM(UTC)
dyeah_gb

Applause Given: 22
Applause Received: 24

I was happy to jump on the "Campen sucks" bandwagon a few years back. This years performance so far indicates some kudos are in order maybe. Here is a list of my rambling train of thought:

1. The line has played pretty well even with the major starter injuries before the season.

2. We all recognize that a certain number of sacks in previous years under Rodgers were due to holding on to the ball too long rather than much to do with the line. This year, I am loving the quicker release on the pass.

3. Grant played with us under the zone blocking scheme and that really appears as a busted experiment. I haven't seen much discussion on this. Bringing in Lacy indicates we are going full tilt towards the traditional power running game.

Edited by user Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:12:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Ima illiterate

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Sponsor
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:16:57 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,743
Applause Received: 1,792

Broke clock is right twice a day.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:20:21 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,405
Applause Received: 1,195

I wasn't all the way in the I hate Campen camp like i am not all the way into the give him a free pass camp.

The better results on the line are as you point out Rodgers quicker release and having a stud RB who keeps moving after first contact.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline texaspackerbacker  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:02:09 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Applause Given: 349
Applause Received: 210

I don't think Campen was necessarily the problem before, and I don't things are near as good as they should be now. The problem as I see it is mediocre personnel.

Aaron Rodgers makes up for a large part of the problem by moving so well, passing so well on the move, and running as needed. However, he virtually never gets the time to throw that most QBs get most of the time. The running game is a little bit better now because of Rodgers' passing and to some extent Lacy's ability, but we still can't just line up and run except when the opponent's D is thinking pass.

Maybe getting Bulaga and Sherrod back healthy will help, I don't know, but the fact is, our O Line STILL is far from the quality it ought to be.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DakotaT on 10/31/2013(UTC), Wade on 11/1/2013(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:16:31 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 570
Applause Received: 1,190

Our O'line is still a work in progress. To think that anybody not named Sitton can't be upgraded is foolishness. They are still a work in progress. They are playing a lot better than their pedestrian draft status would suggest they should be. For this, Campen should be applauded. Uncle Ted on the other might take some criticism - even if injuries aren't his fault.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Wade on 11/1/2013(UTC)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:34:48 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Applause Given: 213
Applause Received: 332

“"The preparation week is where you make your hay,You have to win the week first. That’s where a lot of the wins and losses come. It’s how you approach the week leading up to the game."
Offline DakotaT  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:05:47 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 570
Applause Received: 1,190

Buckeye, why are you always laughing at yourself.

Making an argument out of stats can lead to somebody calling you an idiot. Example - 2011 Packers, whose stats were off the charts, yet got beaten as if they were little girls in their own house by a bully that laughed at their stats.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 11/1/2013(UTC)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:17:26 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Applause Given: 213
Applause Received: 332

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Buckeye, why are you always laughing at yourself.

Making an argument out of stats can lead to somebody calling you an idiot. Example - 2011 Packers, whose stats were off the charts, yet got beaten as if they were little girls in their own house by a bully that laughed at their stats.

2011 The Packers had the #32 rated defense in the league, it finally caught up to them in the playoffs.

Here's a FACT for you , that YOU will never understand.

All the individual talent in the world doesn't do a TEAM a damn bit of good, especially when it comes to an Offensive line.

Until you understand the word "chemistry" as applied to an NFL team, you will never get it, will never be satisfied, and will always be the the one making "idiotic" statements when it comes to your knowledge of football.

“"The preparation week is where you make your hay,You have to win the week first. That’s where a lot of the wins and losses come. It’s how you approach the week leading up to the game."
Offline nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:56:40 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,106
Applause Received: 472

Originally Posted by: dyeah_gb Go to Quoted Post
I was happy to jump on the Campen bandwagon sucks a few years back. This years performance so far indicates some kudos are in order maybe. Here is a list of my rambling train of thought:

1. The line has played pretty well even with the major starter injuries before the season.

2. We all recognize that a certain number of sacks in previous years under Rodgers were due to holding on to the ball too long rather than much to do with the line. This year, I am loving the quicker release on the pass.

3. Grant played with us under the zone blocking scheme and that really appears as a busted experiment. I haven't seen much discussion on this. Bringing in Lacy indicates we are going full tilt towards the traditional power running game.

The zone blocking bullshit has always sucked. The Broncos ran it well in the 90s, but it just flat out totally sucks shit here.

Earlier, Mike was asking Ted to get "smaller, quicker" offensive linemen. Remember Tony Moll? Glorified TEs. That was a total fiasco.

Nowadays, Ted has been allowed to get "bigger, stronger" guys.

Suddenly, we've got guys who can play. Go figure.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Campen. LOL. As far as I'm concerned none of this is due to him. But I don't give him credit for developing these guys. He's like Slocum, benefitting from Ted getting him good players.

I do blame him for Tretter breaking his ankle in the first Practice of his pro career, though.

As for Grant, it doesn't matter what type of system you run, if your RBs keeps running up the back of his blockers.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline gbguy20  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 12:49:44 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 185
Applause Received: 247

hasn't mccarthy been working with the oline a lot more than in previous years?
call me Dan
Offline Bigbyfan  
#11 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 1:52:25 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Applause Given: 21
Applause Received: 71

Only coach I "hate" is our Strength & Conditioning coach. Far too many injuries over his tenure for my liking.
blank
Offline DoddPower  
#12 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 3:23:17 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Applause Given: 1,458
Applause Received: 343

I still think Campen is an average offensive line coach, at best, and has very often been much worse. I think the Packers could do better, with very little risk of doing worse.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#13 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 4:32:05 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Applause Given: 349
Applause Received: 210

Average, yeah - I just don't think an O Line coach makes that much difference, though. His job is teaching fundamentals of line blocking, and if a guy didn't have a pretty good grasp of that by the time he makes an NFL team, he probably wouldn't ever get that far.

The ZBS has always been a mystery to me. It was SO successful in Denver. Terrell Davis was just a 6th round pick; Maybe he was exceptional, but Olandis Gary and a couple of others who never could do anything elsewhere also came up big. And the linemen themselves didn't seem all that exceptional. It wasn't that foreign to Green Bay - the old sweep with Kramer and Thurston pulling was kinda a 60s version of the same thing. When the Packers installed the ZBS, I was really expecting something similar - super performance with mediocre personnel. Obviously it never happened, not for Campen, not for Jacodjinski - who was, I think, first generation away from Denver.

I always thought having bigger lineman would make for better pass blocking too. It seems like what the Packers have had the past few years is the worst of both worlds. Yet thanks to Aaron Rodgers, we still have had the best offense in football. How much better would it be if we really did have outstanding O Linemen?
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Wade  
#14 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 5:37:31 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 560
Applause Received: 587

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Average, yeah - I just don't think an O Line coach makes that much difference, though. His job is teaching fundamentals of line blocking, and if a guy didn't have a pretty good grasp of that by the time he makes an NFL team, he probably wouldn't ever get that far.

The ZBS has always been a mystery to me. It was SO successful in Denver. Terrell Davis was just a 6th round pick; Maybe he was exceptional, but Olandis Gary and a couple of others who never could do anything elsewhere also came up big. And the linemen themselves didn't seem all that exceptional. It wasn't that foreign to Green Bay - the old sweep with Kramer and Thurston pulling was kinda a 60s version of the same thing. When the Packers installed the ZBS, I was really expecting something similar - super performance with mediocre personnel. Obviously it never happened, not for Campen, not for Jacodjinski - who was, I think, first generation away from Denver.

I always thought having bigger lineman would make for better pass blocking too. It seems like what the Packers have had the past few years is the worst of both worlds. Yet thanks to Aaron Rodgers, we still have had the best offense in football. How much better would it be if we really did have outstanding O Linemen?

The Broncos also combined the ZBS with stretching the rules as far as they could go with regard to cheap shot/cut block/chop block/low block blocking techniques. The Gibbs/Shanahan approach was the Evil Empire version of the ZBS.

IMO.

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline Tezzy  
#15 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 5:41:21 PM(UTC)
Tezzy

United States

Applause Given: 16
Applause Received: 53

A much improved running game and better protection of Rodgers. The following link is an interesting set of data which I think shows that both the run game and pass pro are combined better this year. I won't attribute 100% of that to Campen, but I would also think it is unfair to not give him due credit considering the switch of Sitton to the left and the set of tackles he has to work with.

Unblocked Pressure
... not gay, but like a Viking. Same difference.