Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:19:26 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 356
Applause Received: 439

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
How in the hell are we going to keep these 5 corners signed?

UserPostedImage
We don't!

Next May
With the 32nd pick in the 4th round of the 2014 draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 10/31/2013(UTC)
Offline dhazer  
#17 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 8:45:18 AM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 202

How in the hell are we going to keep these 5 corners signed? And when does Jarrett Bush quit occupying a roster spot? Buckeye doesn't get to answer.

We say good bye to Williams, I don't think he is worth the 9.5 million he would get paid next year.

UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Online steveishere  
#18 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 8:59:31 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Received: 963

How in the hell are we going to keep these 5 corners signed? And when does Jarrett Bush quit occupying a roster spot? Buckeye doesn't get to answer.

Keep in mind that Jarrett Bush occupying a roster spot is keeping Davon House on the field on defense. House got pulled from the 2nd half of a game because he was getting gassed by being the ST Gunner.
Offline Tezzy  
#19 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 9:14:41 AM(UTC)
Tezzy

United States

Applause Given: 25
Applause Received: 76

A non-statsheet stat that I think says a lot about how shutdown a corner is, has to do with how many snaps of coverage per reception given up. According to PFF, here are the top five in that category.

Verner - 21.1
Revis - 18.8
Talib - 17.7
Tramon - 17.1
Marcus Cooper - 16.9

Now when Tramon does give up a reception, it does not look pretty in terms of YAC compared to those other four. But there is a reason the five of them have been each targeted 33 or less times. Shutdown.... Corner.
On top of every beard grows a man.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 11/1/2013(UTC), DoddPower on 11/1/2013(UTC)
Offline dhazer  
#20 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 10:15:15 AM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Originally Posted by: Tezzy Go to Quoted Post
A non-statsheet stat that I think says a lot about how shutdown a corner is, has to do with how many snaps of coverage per reception given up. According to PFF, here are the top five in that category.

Verner - 21.1
Revis - 18.8
Talib - 17.7
Tramon - 17.1
Marcus Cooper - 16.9

Now when Tramon does give up a reception, it does not look pretty in terms of YAC compared to those other four. But there is a reason the five of them have been each targeted 33 or less times. Shutdown.... Corner.

The only flaw in that how many of these guys play against the #1 wr on the other team. Tramon gets the #2 or #3 wr
UserPostedImage

Offline nerdmann  
#21 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 12:10:37 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,627
Applause Received: 651

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
The only flaw in that how many of these guys play against the #1 wr on the other team. Tramon gets the #2 or #3 wr

He has for the past couple weeks. lol
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DoddPower  
#22 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 12:37:51 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,040
Applause Received: 514

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post

I don't think it's a "flaw" in the stats, but just yet another example of how stats do not always tell the whole story. Tramon can only cover who his coaches make him cover, just like a team can only play the teams on their schedule. Moreover, corner backs covering the #1 WR almost always have help from a safety, as well, which can always skew things a bit.

And just because Sam Shields may be playing better than Tramon Williams does not in any way mean Tramon isn't playing very well. It just means Shields is playing even better.

Offline beast  
#23 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 1:15:07 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 247
Applause Received: 312

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Shields may very well have passed up Tramon, but it ain't because Tramon got worse. It's because Shields got better. Add Hayward to that, and House and Hyde too ........ as they say, you can never have too many good corners.

I have to disagree with that...

Tramon clearly got worse with his shoulder injury, but has slowly been improving since, but again pretty slowly.

And Shields was good before, but wasn't consistant, he started to become consistantly good last season and has kept it going into this season.

Though I think they're going to have to ask Williams to take a pay reduction, because his contract number is pretty big espeically since Shields seems to be covering #1 guy more often and he's a FA, take some of Williams money and resign Shields.

If Williams says no then maybe think about asking Hayward, House and Hyde to step it up and draft another CB.

America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline beast  
#24 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 1:23:43 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 247
Applause Received: 312

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
He has for the past couple weeks. lol

Are you saying williams has gotten the #1 guys the past couple of weeks or the he's gotten the #2 and #3 the last couple of weeks?

Week 5: Both Lions starting WRs were out.

Week 6: Torrey Smith, I think Shields had him. (speed vs speed)

Week 7: Josh Gordon, speed vs speed again with Shields. The QB didn't seem to be playing well.

Week 8: The article says Williams had Jennings, but the QB didn't seem to be playing well.

America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline dhazer  
#25 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 2:31:27 PM(UTC)
dhazer

I'm on my cell in the woods deer hunting but to me ever sin e the shoulder injury Williams is afraid to tackle anyone. That is not the 9.5 million he would get next year. I can't surf for stats but Williams best year was 2010 and he only had 6 hints. Williams is over rated in my eyes and I think Haywardcan do the job plus the guy likes to hit.

I also want to add the last shut down corner was Revis the stats can lie and teams will just throw to the other we because that cab isn't as good
UserPostedImage

Offline texaspackerbacker  
#26 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 4:46:59 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 451
Applause Received: 272

You can never have too many great corners. Just because the injury bug has hit us just about everywhere but corner (oops I forgot Hayward), that doesn't change things.

I really don't think there's any chance of dumping Tramon until after the Shields contract situation is clear one way or the other. Personally, I hope we keep both. What is the Williams situation? $9.5 million one more year, then free agent? I'm pretty sure Ted Thompson can find away to fit that $9.5 million in, then probably bring him back for a significantly lower number after next season - probably using a bonus or whatever to structure Shields to be a low cap hit the first year of his new contract.

One more thought: I really don't see why Davon House should be "gassed" from gunner duties like he was. Something doesn't add up there.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline nerdmann  
#27 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 5:35:52 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,627
Applause Received: 651

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
Are you saying williams has gotten the #1 guys the past couple of weeks or the he's gotten the #2 and #3 the last couple of weeks?

Week 5: Both Lions starting WRs were out.

Week 6: Torrey Smith, I think Shields had him. (speed vs speed)

Week 7: Josh Gordon, speed vs speed again with Shields. The QB didn't seem to be playing well.

Week 8: The article says Williams had Jennings, but the QB didn't seem to be playing well.

There was an article, I thought it was a couple weeks ago about how this team has gone from sharing the "shut down" duties to favoring Shields.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rss Feed