Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Dulak  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:46:19 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 98

Im always making comparisons of the US to the UK ...

Ok more specifically the midwest compared to london area.

So lets talk about the 'eating out difference'

States: Usually the same restaurants over and over again with the same type of menu they have had for a long time. When living there I never really looked online at a menu.

London: Complete opposite - Not as many chains; and people prefer to not going to chain restaurants. I look up menus all the time.

my point is ... most of the time the states is ahead in a 'advancement' but sometimes the folks at 'Harry Potter Land' have an advancement ;)

So make to Zero's question

What would I want to see in a online menu?

1. I would like as close to the real men as possible - with prices
2. Specials* - as long as they sound special - doesnt even have to be a discount but could be - this special meal is offered on this day or just something to make certain days or that restaurant attractive to come to on that day.
3. Some pics of the place that seem inviting - fun and friendly - personal pics - not ones that have been taken off a corporate website.
4. Obviously the necessary things like # address, best place to park or how to get there etc ... opening hours.

So again the website doesnt have to look fantastic but IMO if it has all the above things and has that personal touch - that will draw people in.
Least for me it would.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 10/30/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:28:25 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,864
Applause Received: 2,032

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 Go to Quoted Post

Blah, wordpress and php? You cheated. :)

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline rabidgopher04  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:14:52 AM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Applause Given: 110
Applause Received: 126

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Blah, wordpress and php? You cheated. :)

Why do that work when I can focus on content and marketing? I've done enough development in my time to realize that a lot of people do it much, much better than me and give it away for free or for very low cost. Why not take advantage of it? I still spend time customizing it and I have to write code for that. I know that I do not need to be proficient in everything to get a job done. It's very freeing actually.
Do you like bacon?
Offline Zero2Cool  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:25:36 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,864
Applause Received: 2,032

CMS are good, but often have a lot of overhead. I know C# and ASP far more than php so creating something custom would take much longer for me.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Wade  
#20 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:46:09 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 639
Applause Received: 655

Originally Posted by: Dulak Go to Quoted Post
Im always making comparisons of the US to the UK ...

Ok more specifically the midwest compared to london area.

So lets talk about the 'eating out difference'

States: Usually the same restaurants over and over again with the same type of menu they have had for a long time. When living there I never really looked online at a menu.

London: Complete opposite - Not as many chains; and people prefer to not going to chain restaurants. I look up menus all the time.

my point is ... most of the time the states is ahead in a 'advancement' but sometimes the folks at 'Harry Potter Land' have an advancement ;)

So make to Zero's question

What would I want to see in a online menu?

1. I would like as close to the real men as possible - with prices
2. Specials* - as long as they sound special - doesnt even have to be a discount but could be - this special meal is offered on this day or just something to make certain days or that restaurant attractive to come to on that day.
3. Some pics of the place that seem inviting - fun and friendly - personal pics - not ones that have been taken off a corporate website.
4. Obviously the necessary things like # address, best place to park or how to get there etc ... opening hours.

So again the website doesnt have to look fantastic but IMO if it has all the above things and has that personal touch - that will draw people in.
Least for me it would.

UK restaurants also post their menus outside, so you don't have to go inside when you're strolling about. (Of course I haven't been there since 2006.... do people there still walk when "going out" and do restaurants still post the menu outside?)

I actually find that "walk around" idea works in America -- use the chain location to find where restaurants are, then walkabout a bit. Of course that doesn't always work in certain urban (mugging) or suburban (no sidewalks) areas.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline wpr  
#21 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:38:42 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,831
Applause Received: 1,365

In the US walk around can work downtown but with so many restaurants out by the malls in suburbia you would walk a couple of miles before you would get to more than 3-4. Then you would end up with a 45- 60 min wait. It works for some people but not most Americans. (I wouldn't mind it but my wife would hate it.)
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Rss Feed