macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
10 years ago
After reading the article, all I could thing was wow, this guy still doesn't get it.

Says at the end he's never heard of a defenseless running back--all he has to do is go back and look at his hit on Lacy--wrapped up, stood up by other players, a sitting duck for his head shot--to see what a defenseless RB looks like.

He said he changed the way he hits, and that he didn't use his helmet, but launching at Marshall looked exactly like when he launched at Lacy.

NFL said his comments were inappropriate. If so, they ought to fine him again. Refs should flag him every time he even looks at someone cross-eyed. Sit his butt for the rest of the year.

This whole article just made me mad.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9893116/brandon-meriweather-washington-redskins-rips-brandon-marshall-vows-target-opposing-players-knees 

ASHBURN, Va. -- Washington Redskins safety Brandon Meriweather, who served a one-game suspension Sunday for the way he hits, vowed to begin targeting players' knees and fired a shot at Chicago Bears star receiver Brandon Marshall, saying players who beat their girlfriends should be out of the NFL.

Meriweather has received numerous fines over the years for his helmet-to-helmet hits. After two more incidents against the Bears on Oct. 20, the NFL suspended Meriweather for two games until an appeals process reduced the ban to one.

"I guess I just got to take people's knees out," Meriweather said Monday morning in the Redskins' locker room. "That's the only way. I would hate to end a guy's career over a rule, but I guess it's better other people than me getting suspended for longer.

"You just have to go low now, man. You've got to end people's careers. You got to tear people's ACLs and mess up people's knees. You can't hit them high anymore."

Then Meriweather turned to Marshall and Bears tight end Martellus Bennett, who both publicly criticized the hard-hitting safety last week. Marshall received one of Meriweather's hits in the game on Oct. 20.

"I respect the league trying to better our game," Marshall said after that game. "Guys like that, maybe he needs to get suspended or taken out of the game completely."

Bennett said later in the week that he wanted to punch Meriweather. But Meriweather's ire was directed more at Marshall.

"He feels like I need to be kicked out of the league, I feel like people who beat their girlfriends should be kicked out of the league, too," Meriweather said.

Marshall has been arrested multiple times on alleged domestic-abuse charges but has never been convicted.

"You tell me who you'd rather have?" Meriweather said. "Someone who plays aggressive on the field or someone who beat up their girlfriend?"

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan did not approve of Meriweather's comments.

"I'm not sure I would have used those choice of words," Shanahan said.

When contacted by ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the NFL said it was aware of Meriweather's comments, saying that they were inappropriate.

Marshall took to Twitter on Monday shortly after Meriweather's comments.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing #MachineMarshall

Meriweather said he thought the appeals process was handled well, citing former NFL coach Ted Cottrell's role in reducing the penalty.

Meriweather was fined $42,000 for a hit against Green Bay Packers running back Eddie Lacy in Week 2. He also was fined $50,000 for a hit in 2010 with New England and accrued $45,000 in fines a year later with Chicago.

"The NFL do what they have to do," Meriweather said. "I guess they felt like suspending me for that game was the right thing to do, so they decided to make an example that they won't tolerate aggressive plays."

Meriweather maintained that he did not use his helmet on either hit against Chicago. That was the case he made during the appeals process, which occurred over the phone.

Meriweather agreed that he did launch into the defender on one hit, though he wasn't sure which one it was. Replays showed that he launched into Marshall after the receiver dropped a pass in the end zone.

"I know everybody's looking at the tape and saying, 'He's a dirty player, he's this, he's that,' which I get," Meriweather said. "But if anyone goes and looks at the tape, I didn't use my head in either hit. I'm moving on from it."

Meriweather said he has changed the way he hits but will have to do so even more now to avoid a worse suspension in the future.

Shanahan said safeties, more than cornerbacks, will attempt to tackle higher, taking runners head-on.

"Nobody's going to try to hurt anybody," Shanahan said. "But if you're going to err on the side of caution, you would rather go low than you would high. Brandon knows that he's got to go lower or he's not going to be playing in the National Football League."

The Redskins say they have focused more on tackling drills the past several weeks, and Meriweather said he'll work harder to stay low.

"Once you do something so much, it becomes habit," Meriweather said. "I think if I go in practice and simulate going low, it'll become habit and I'll be able to do it in a game."

But Meriweather wasn't done.

"They told me to use my shoulder, I use my shoulder. I still get fined and they still say I used my head," he said. "I mean, defenseless running backs ... I never heard of a defenseless running back."

ESPN.com wrote:

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Meriweather was fined $42,000 for a hit against Green Bay Packers running back Eddie Lacy in Week 2. He also was fined $50,000 for a hit in 2010 with New England and accrued $45,000 in fines a year later with Chicago.

The problem is in part the NFL front office. How can they fine him $50,000 in 2010 $45,000 in 2011 and down to $42,000 for the Lacy hit?

It should have been $50,000 $75,000 then $100,000. if they want to get this butt wipe's attention.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
10 years ago

The problem is in part the NFL front office. How can they fine him $50,000 in 2010 $45,000 in 2011 and down to $42,000 for the Lacy hit?

It should have been $50,000 $75,000 then $100,000. if they want to get this butt wipe's attention.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Suspensions should have already started by the Lacy/Starks spearing efforts. The money clearly wasn't getting his attention.

I did have a chuckle about the girlfriend beating jab at Marshall. Of course, his point would only be valid had Marshall been found guilty. Meriweather isn't an alleged headhunter; he IS one. We have his actions on tape.

But I digress, I don't know how the NFL could justify lowering his punishment when he has repeatedly shown in his commentary that he doesn't get it and won't change. I would really like to have been a fly on the wall for that appeal.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
Clearly an early nominee for NFL Pinhead of the Year.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
Inappropriate comments - oh so terrible.

I can empathize a lot more with what used to be called a "hard-nosed" safety like Meriweather than I can for pathetic whiners like Marshall and Bennett.

All this protection crap is bad for the game, and it's a valid point that making a big deal about high hits is inevitably gonna increase low hits - again, oh so terrible.

Injuries to people making multiple millions playing a fun game are ...... simply not something to get all hyper about unless they affect the performance of our team. If any given player can't stand the risk, let him give up those multiple millions he gets paid to play a game any of us would give our eye teeth to be able to play for about 1/10 as much.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago
It is dumbasses like this that make the need for the fines and suspensions because he is to stupid to see what is trying to be done, and change. Hit hits haven't been incidental helmet contact. He has targeted the head and the rule doesn't care if he led with the shoulder or helmet. The rule specifically states cannot lead to the head or neck area of a defenseless player with helmet, shoulder or forearm.

Oh I can't hit around the head so the ONLY other option is the Knees? Is there something wrong with the other 3 feet of body between the head/neck and knees? Did the dumbass never hear of a waist? Since there is no rule against hitting the knees, there isn't much the NFL will be able to do for now. But I would hope, that his teammates pull him aside and tell him to quit being an asshole. And if not, that players police it on the field and take him out if he intentionally takes out somebody else's knees.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

It is dumbasses like this that make the need for the fines and suspensions because he is to stupid to see what is trying to be done, and change. Hit hits haven't been incidental helmet contact. He has targeted the head and the rule doesn't care if he led with the shoulder or helmet. The rule specifically states cannot lead to the head or neck area of a defenseless player with helmet, shoulder or forearm.

Oh I can't hit around the head so the ONLY other option is the Knees? Is there something wrong with the other 3 feet of body between the head/neck and knees? Did the dumbass never hear of a waist? Since there is no rule against hitting the knees, there isn't much the NFL will be able to do for now. But I would hope, that his teammates pull him aside and tell him to quit being an asshole. And if not, that players police it on the field and take him out if he intentionally takes out somebody else's knees.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Jermichael Finley stated in his Tweets that he lowered his head to protect his knees. Players do that. The point is, "the other 3 feet of body between the head/neck and knees" really is a lot less, and in the heat of battle, guys aren't gonna be able to think that fast just to comply with some stupid rules.

As for being a "headhunter" - deliberately trying to hurt somebody, kick me in the ass for saying this if your hyper-protective PC mind makes you want to do so, but I just don't see anything wrong with players having a mean streak - Merriweather and others now as well as guys like Jack Tatum and who was that Packer Safety who was known for headhunting? I really don't see anything wrong with that, and I think Ray Nitschke and Jim Taylor would agree - whichever end of the deliberate hurtful hits they might have been on.

One more thing, going back to the days of yesteryear, not when a boy could play Center for a major college with no helmet, and grow up to be president of the United States, not to the days of leather helmets (I had one of them when I was about 5, but they were out before I was old enough to actually play), but to the earlier days of plastic helmets: those helmets were every bit the "weapon" that today's helmets are, but they did not have the inner padding and suspension for protection which today's helmets have. Back then, and with Tatum-like hits drawing respect rather than criticism and fines, and kids taught from a young age to hit basically the forbidden way now, you'd think maybe guys would be laying dead on the field - head injuries galore. But no! It just didn't happen. I say again, this hyper-safety crap is just that - crap.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nyrpack
10 years ago
not defending the guy, but it isnt exactly the easiest thing to hit a guy these days legally. im not saying headshots are legal but its dam hard to hit a guy at full speed and not make contact sometimes high, i think defensive guys have a very tough job when comes to legal vs illegal !!
jimmy b.
steveishere
10 years ago

Inappropriate comments - oh so terrible.

I can empathize a lot more with what used to be called a "hard-nosed" safety like Meriweather than I can for pathetic whiners like Marshall and Bennett.

All this protection crap is bad for the game, and it's a valid point that making a big deal about high hits is inevitably gonna increase low hits - again, oh so terrible.

Injuries to people making multiple millions playing a fun game are ...... simply not something to get all hyper about unless they affect the performance of our team. If any given player can't stand the risk, let him give up those multiple millions he gets paid to play a game any of us would give our eye teeth to be able to play for about 1/10 as much.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Bull, watch some plays by Ronnie Lott for example. He's out there crushing guys with his shoulderpads. There's a difference between the "hard-nosed" old players like that and Meriweather and it's that those guys were trying to land big hits to tackle people and Merriweather is only trying to knock people unconcious. There is no reason to tackle like Meriweather does (Arms in chest, feet off the ground, top of helmet into other players head) other than to knock a guy out. That's not an effective way to tackle someone at all and it's not hard-nosed it's just stupid and cheap and they shouldn't allow it no matter how much money they make.

Those old school guys were crushing and hurting people yeah but they were also good legit tacklers. Meriweather's just taking his helmet and turning it into a weapon and making shitty hits. Jack Tatum yeah he was dirty as hell but he wasn't just hitting people he was TACKLING them, he was playing the game. Merriweather to me isn't playing the game. I'm sick of people comparing him to legends. Merriweather is more Charles Martin than he is Jack Tatum.
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago

Jermichael Finley stated in his Tweets that he lowered his head to protect his knees. Players do that. The point is, "the other 3 feet of body between the head/neck and knees" really is a lot less, and in the heat of battle, guys aren't gonna be able to think that fast just to comply with some stupid rules.

As for being a "headhunter" - deliberately trying to hurt somebody, kick me in the ass for saying this if your hyper-protective PC mind makes you want to do so, but I just don't see anything wrong with players having a mean streak - Merriweather and others now as well as guys like Jack Tatum and who was that Packer Safety who was known for headhunting? I really don't see anything wrong with that, and I think Ray Nitschke and Jim Taylor would agree - whichever end of the deliberate hurtful hits they might have been on.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Sorry but that is bullshit. In the heat of battle, players CAN think that fast. They have to think to decide to go high, they can think to not go high just as easily. Players throughout the league have and do each and every week. Players like Mariweather who have refused to change are what cause the NFL to need to fine and suspend. Had players changed originally, the NFL wouldn't be fining.

Players can have a "Meanstreak" without being a dirty headhunter. AJ has been playing with a meanstreak and doing it clean. Sure accidents and incidental hits happen, but it is clear when a player is aiming for the head like Meriweather.

Gipson hit Finley cleanly. He wasn't fined by the NFL, and he did it without headhunting.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (8h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (8h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (9h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (9h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.