wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
10 years ago

Brandon Meriweather faces suspension for illegal hits 

Brandon Meriweather has a well-earned reputation as a head-hunter in the Washington Redskins' secondary. His unwillingness (or inability) to change his playing style will now take him off the field.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that the NFL is expected to suspend Meriweather at least one game for repeated uses of his helmet as a weapon, according to a league source. Vice president of operations Merton Hanks will review Meriweather's game tape before deciding how many games Meriweather will sit.

Meriweather was flagged twice for illegal hits in Sunday's 45-41 win over the Chicago Bears. After the game, Brandon Marshall -- the recipient of one of those hits -- railed against Meriweather's playing style, saying the safety should be suspended or kicked out of the game entirely.

"Guys like that really don't understand that there is life after football," Marshall said, via the Chicago Tribune.

A one-game suspension would cost Meriweather his $70,588 game check. The NFL fined Meriweather $42,000 last month for a helmet-to-helmet hit.

"I feel like every hit that I took was a legit hit," he said, via the Washington Post. "I wasn't trying to be dirty. I wasn't trying to hurt nobody. I didn't launch with my head. I used my shoulder like they told me to do. Everything I did was a pointer from them (league officials). ... You've just got to play. There ain't nothing I can do about it. I just go out there and play."

The NFL is about to send its loudest message yet to Meriweather. We'll see if this one gets through.

1 game is not nearly enough. It should be for the rest of the year which will get lowered to 1 quarter. 🙄
UserPostedImage
olds70supreme
10 years ago
This guy alone is enough to make anybody doubt how serious both the NFL AND the NFLPA are taking concussions. How this guy is still playing is a mystery to me. It's a no-brainer (quasi-pun intended) that by now he should be out of the league with as many blatant headshots he has taken. Another thing is that it really doesn't reflect well on the organization either. Nothing against the Redskins, but I can't help but think they are condoning the behavior by enabling/putting him out on the field. At some point you have to realize the guy is no good.
blank
yooperfan
10 years ago
I saw that hit yesterday.
It looks like he is trying to kill someone.
He should be suspended for life IMHO.
mi_keys
10 years ago
Didn't see the hits in question as I didn't watch most of the Bears game. Does anyone know of any links to video of the hits offhand?

If these were once again spearing efforts they need to issue a significant suspension. They should've done that last time rather than expecting a fine (lower than previously issued fines) was going to do anything to curb his behavior.

Meriweather saying there is nothing he can do should only further emphasize the need for a suspension; because, you utter bellend, there is something you can do: stop spearing people.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Porforis
10 years ago

I saw that hit yesterday.
It looks like he is trying to kill someone.
He should be suspended for life IMHO.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

If he keeps that crap up he might be suspended FROM life. You'd think he would have learned his lesson after KOing himself on Lacie.
Porforis
10 years ago

Didn't see the hits in question as I didn't watch most of the Bears game. Does anyone know of any links to video of the hits offhand?

If these were once again spearing efforts they need to issue a significant suspension. They should've done that last time rather than expecting a fine (lower than previously issued fines) was going to do anything to curb his behavior.

Meriweather saying there is nothing he can do should only further emphasize the need for a suspension; because, you utter bellend, there is something you can do: stop spearing people.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000266828/Brandon-Meriweather-illegal-hit-in-third-quarter 
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000266841/Brandon-Meriweather-illegal-hit-in-fourth-quarter 
Porforis
10 years ago
Official word: Two games

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24117165/redskins-s-brandon-meriweather-suspended-2-games-for-illegal-hits 

Pretty much the most the NFL could get away with without the NFLPA going apeshit.
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago
Guys like this need to be taught only one thing

Mid-Section

You jack somebody up in the stomach or sternum they will remember it, and have a pretty good chance of dislodging a reception. It is usually pretty clear when a defender is going for the head area and when they are not. It isn't about helmet to helmet, or leading with the head. A shoulder to the helmet is just as dangerous and damaging as a helmet to helmet.

Don't hit higher than the bottom of the numbers. There is a good 3 feet between the knees and the head area. Plenty of space to hit, if the would do as we are taught when kids.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
steveishere
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

They were pretty much his typical tackling form. Arms tucked into his chest, head down, drive the top of your helmet into the other guys facemask.
mi_keys
10 years ago
Thanks to Porforis for linking the videos; was at the office and couldn't check at the time. Agreed completely with Stevie. Textbook Meriweather.

NFL tried to pretend he didn't have a serious habit of doing this shit when he concussed Lacy and himself in a single game. The Bears are lucky Jeffery and or Marshall didn't end up the same. He launched. End of. Chicken shit way to play the game and it has no place in this sport. You aren't a hard ass for head hunting. Deliver a shot like a man to the chest.

I never wish or cheer for an injury to a player, Packer opponent or otherwise; but if I were an offensive player out on the field with Meriweather, I'd be aiming for the side of his knee. If the NFL won't take him off the field after repeated offenses, I would; for the welfare of my team mates.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Fan Shout
dfosterf (16h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (18h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (20h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (23h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.