MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — Aaron Rodgers still thinks Matt Elam could have hit Randall Cobb in a way that wouldn't have resulted in a broken leg, but the Green Bay Packers quarterback certainly wasn't as adamant about the hit Tuesday as he was in the immediate aftermath of his leading wide receiver's injury, when he confronted the Baltimore Ravens safety on the field.

Rodgers even conceded, as he did after the game, that Ravens safety James Ihedigbo had a valid point when he told Rodgers after the confrontation that defenders have a hard time finding a legal place to hit an offensive player with the NFL's emphasis on reducing hits to the head and concussions.

Cobb suffered a broken fibula on the hit and will miss at least the Packers' next eight games after being placed on injured reserve with the designation to return.

Rodgers talked immediately after the game about his confrontation with Elam, and Ravens coach John Harbaugh spoke about it on Monday.

"Aaron made a good, quick throw in there and Matt is doing the best he can to try to stop that play. So I have no idea what he's talking about," Harbaugh said. "I think Matt made a tackle. He was scrambling to try to catch up with that route as best as he could to make the tackle on (Cobb)."

Elam wasn't penalized for the hit, and there was no reason to penalize him, since the hit was legal. However, Cobb is just the latest player to be felled by a low tackle that may be the unintended consequence of the league levying heavy fines on defensive players for blows to the head.

Asked about the play again Tuesday and Harbaugh's response, Rodgers acknowledged the Ravens' position but stood by his.

"Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, that's what's great about the first amendment, the United States of America and the Constitution. So I respect that," Rodgers said on his weekly radio show on 540 ESPN and ESPNWisconsin.com Tuesday . "Again, I thought the conversation I had with James was a very interesting one because I may have not understood how much they think about the rules and how difficult it is for them to find that target area. And I respected what he said. I didn't have to agree with it, but I still think you can respect opinion even if you don't agree with it.

"That being said, I think there were multiple plays in the game, in other games that I saw in some of the highlights where guys had limited amount of time and were still able to hit their target area. We're professional athletes, we have great body control, that's why we're in the NFL. And I thought there was ample time to find a proper target area."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

go.pack.go.
10 years ago
I agree with Rodgers, personally. While I do see both sides of the argument, I don't think Elam should have dove so low. I was so pissed right after the play because I just knew it was going to be a season ending injury. Good news is that he will be back later this year. Hopefully he'll be the same player.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago
It is clear that the officials will NOT protect our players.

Hell, it took two years before they'd enforce the rules against cheap shots on Rodgers himself.

It is incumbent upon us as a team to protect our own players. If the officials will not enforce the rules, then we need to get some goons to send a message. Anytime someone takes a cheap shot at the head or knees of one of our players, they are going to get hit, hard. They are going to get keyed upon.

How many consecutive games can we go, losing a star player to a cheap shot? Take some responsibility Mike.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
StoicFire
10 years ago

It is clear that the officials will NOT protect our players.

Hell, it took two years before they'd enforce the rules against cheap shots on Rodgers himself.

It is incumbent upon us as a team to protect our own players. If the officials will not enforce the rules, then we need to get some goons to send a message. Anytime someone takes a cheap shot at the head or knees of one of our players, they are going to get hit, hard. They are going to get keyed upon.

How many consecutive games can we go, losing a star player to a cheap shot? Take some responsibility Mike.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I don't like anything about this. It sucks losing star players, and anger is a reasonable response; but not this.

1) The hit was legal, just unfortunately placed. I don't see it as a cheap shot.
2) Don't blame the refs. This was a well officiated game.
3) McCarthy is a great coach, and he wont even consider asking our players to take cheap-shots. Period... retaliation or not.

How can you ask opposing players to follow the rules, referees to enforce the rules, and your team's coach to instruct his players to break rules?
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
steveishere
10 years ago
I think just diving at a guys knee when you've got a chance to hit him properly is a little cheap and lazy. I don't think the guys hit was malicious but I'm also not buying that he couldn't tackle him normally because of fear of penalties/fines. This wasn't a 250LB TE he was trying to bring down it was Randall Cobb, putting your head down and rolling into his knee is just stupid.
yooperfan
10 years ago
Nice job stoic!
What some folks may not be taking into consideration here is that these plays are all happening so fast that we, the fans, can't comprehend it.
These guys are trying to make plays in real time which are split second decisions.
We, the fans, have the luxury of replay over and over.
Nerd wants the refs to protect our players, but the refs are making decisions in split second real time as well.
Should a ref step in in the middle of a play and stop it because it looks to him in that split second that it looks like an injury may occur.
That would be impossible!

The play in question was not illegal, not dirty football, and in my mind not made with intent to injure Cobb.

It sucks for us that one of our star players was injured and won't play again anytime soon, but football is a fast, physical game and if anyone thinks injuries can be regulated it couldn't happen even if the game was reduced to flag football.
StoicFire
10 years ago
I just re-watched it on game rewind, and it doesn't seem even a little bit malicious. It happened really really fast.

Admittedly, I think a low tackle attempt was the most effective way to make that play. Cobb didn't have time to prepare for it, and Elam was probably thinking it was best to chop him down before Cobb had time to embarrass him with a fancy move. He was also only a few yards from the first, so if you went higher he might fall forwards more. I don't really blame the guy.

I don't think it was dirty. Just really unlucky for us. It sucks to have to miss Cobb for so long.
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
Fan Shout
beast (1h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (2h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (7h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (7h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (14h) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (14h) : *game plan
Martha Careful (15h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (18h) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.