Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 7:01:11 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 419
Applause Received: 249

As one who has been among the most negative about him, I want to offer my praise and congrats to Hawk. I especially like the idea of an ILB blitz, and Hawk did the job in executing it.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Porforis on 10/14/2013(UTC), Dulak on 10/14/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline yooperfan  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 7:09:04 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Ishpeming Michigan

Applause Given: 567
Applause Received: 256

I have never been overly critical of Hawk, nor overly impressed.
The guy shows up every Sunday and quietly does his job, he's a good employee.
But yesterday he played a helluva game. I hope he continues in that mode.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 10/14/2013(UTC)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 7:24:26 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 360

I don't know if it was part of the game plan or just a product of the way the defense played as a whole. But Hawk seemed to be playing more pro-active than normal. I think Capers likes to keep AJ dialed back playing safe while letting other players go with more abandon. I think one of the best traits AJ has is his ability to do that. So often big plays result because the defenders were to aggressive and over pursue or get themselves in position where they almost block themselves out of plays. AJ never seems to do that.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
yooperfan on 10/14/2013(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 7:29:36 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 1,047

That was the type of aggressive play that I remember from him in college years ago.. I didn't get to watch the game but listened to it on the radio.. but did go to the NFL.com page and watch the highlights late last night.. going to try and sit down and watch the game tonight.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Online wpr  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 8:20:27 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,901
Applause Received: 1,408

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
I don't know if it was part of the game plan or just a product of the way the defense played as a whole. But Hawk seemed to be playing more pro-active than normal. I think Capers likes to keep AJ dialed back playing safe while letting other players go with more abandon. I think one of the best traits AJ has is his ability to do that. So often big plays result because the defenders were to aggressive and over pursue or get themselves in position where they almost block themselves out of plays. AJ never seems to do that.


I am pleased as everyone else is with the increased production from AJ. During the game I was wishing I knew what the specific duties for all the players was and Hawk in particular. That way I would know if he is doing the same thing as before only doing it better or if he took over the role that someone else was doing in the past thus he seemed to be playing better. I assume it is a little of both.

Let's face it, when a player has outside contain he isn't going to run across the field and make the tackle. If you watch the play and one of the guy seems to be standing around you would assume he is being lazy if you don't know his responsibilities. If the runner reverses field and heads back the other direction and the guy who was seemingly standing around clocks him for a 4 yard loss, you would would be thrilled. Same guy, same play.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline Dulak  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 9:18:42 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 1/19/2009(UTC)
Location: London, UK (from kenosha)

Applause Given: 153
Applause Received: 100

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
As one who has been among the most negative about him, I want to offer my praise and congrats to Hawk. I especially like the idea of an ILB blitz, and Hawk did the job in executing it.


think this is the best game I have seen him play - looked faster and more in command of his position
Offline play2win  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 11:11:22 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

3 Sacks and 5 Tackles for Loss. Amazing game by Hawk.
Offline nyrpack  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 12:29:37 PM(UTC)
nyrpack

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)
Location: long island, ny

Applause Given: 4
Applause Received: 50

we needed him to come up big and he did, very glad to see and quiet the guys who rip him on the site !!
jimmy b.
Online buckeyepackfan  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 1:29:04 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 296
Applause Received: 413


"Linebackers shine: In the absence of Clay Matthews and Brad Jones, defensive coordinator Dom Capers turned A.J. Hawk loose as a pass-rusher. Hawk came flat free several times on blitzes and recorded three sacks. He was credited with 10 tackles, including five for losses. He took over for Jones as the dime linebacker and defensive signal-caller. Meanwhile, Jamari Lattimore held up well in his first NFL start, playing Jones’ spot in the base and nickel packages. He made three tackles, including two for losses. Nick Perry, despite missing part of the game because of an ankle injury, had five pressures in just 21 pass-rush attempts, according to ProFootballFocus. His strip-sack of Flacco late in the second quarter was a huge momentum play before halftime. Mike Neal couldn’t match his production from the previous week against Detroit, when he had six tackles and a sack. “I thought we were really rolling there in the beginning with Nick and Mike, and A.J., I think probably played one of his best games,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. “Jamari was making plays. We had excellent push inside. It was just really a combination of everybody.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/...er-review-packers-week-6

Seems this was just a part of the defensive scheme.

There was another article(which unfortunately has already cycled thru), where Dom was saying usually the scheme calls for Hawk to stay assignment sure, making sure other players were lined up correct, while the more impact plays were designed to go to the OLBr's.

Looks like Dom switched things up this week with the absence of Mathews and Jones.

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
Offline DoddPower  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 1:40:20 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,963
Applause Received: 471

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
"Linebackers shine: In the absence of Clay Matthews and Brad Jones, defensive coordinator Dom Capers turned A.J. Hawk loose as a pass-rusher. Hawk came flat free several times on blitzes and recorded three sacks. He was credited with 10 tackles, including five for losses. He took over for Jones as the dime linebacker and defensive signal-caller. Meanwhile, Jamari Lattimore held up well in his first NFL start, playing Jones’ spot in the base and nickel packages. He made three tackles, including two for losses. Nick Perry, despite missing part of the game because of an ankle injury, had five pressures in just 21 pass-rush attempts, according to ProFootballFocus. His strip-sack of Flacco late in the second quarter was a huge momentum play before halftime. Mike Neal couldn’t match his production from the previous week against Detroit, when he had six tackles and a sack. “I thought we were really rolling there in the beginning with Nick and Mike, and A.J., I think probably played one of his best games,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. “Jamari was making plays. We had excellent push inside. It was just really a combination of everybody.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/...er-review-packers-week-6

Seems this was just a part of the defensive scheme.

There was another article(which unfortunately has already cycled thru), where Dom was saying usually the scheme calls for Hawk to stay assignment sure, making sure other players were lined up correct, while the more impact plays were designed to go to the OLBr's.

Looks like Dom switched things up this week with the absence of Mathews and Jones.



If Dom Capers has been doing anything to limit this kind of play making ability by Hawk, then he's truly been failing. If AJ Hawk can make plays like he did yesterday, he needs to be making them, imo. Maximize your players abilities, not limit them.

I don't think that's totally the case, though, I just think Hawk (and most the defense) played a hell of a game. Hopefully that trend continues.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 10/14/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 1:59:57 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,496
Applause Received: 624

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
"Linebackers shine: In the absence of Clay Matthews and Brad Jones, defensive coordinator Dom Capers turned A.J. Hawk loose as a pass-rusher. Hawk came flat free several times on blitzes and recorded three sacks. He was credited with 10 tackles, including five for losses. He took over for Jones as the dime linebacker and defensive signal-caller. Meanwhile, Jamari Lattimore held up well in his first NFL start, playing Jones’ spot in the base and nickel packages. He made three tackles, including two for losses. Nick Perry, despite missing part of the game because of an ankle injury, had five pressures in just 21 pass-rush attempts, according to ProFootballFocus. His strip-sack of Flacco late in the second quarter was a huge momentum play before halftime. Mike Neal couldn’t match his production from the previous week against Detroit, when he had six tackles and a sack. “I thought we were really rolling there in the beginning with Nick and Mike, and A.J., I think probably played one of his best games,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. “Jamari was making plays. We had excellent push inside. It was just really a combination of everybody.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/...er-review-packers-week-6

Seems this was just a part of the defensive scheme.

There was another article(which unfortunately has already cycled thru), where Dom was saying usually the scheme calls for Hawk to stay assignment sure, making sure other players were lined up correct, while the more impact plays were designed to go to the OLBr's.

Looks like Dom switched things up this week with the absence of Mathews and Jones.



See if you can find that article. It could really make your case about Hawk.

If this is true, and he just hasn't been "unleashed," then maybe he'll get some shots now that he's one of the few left standing.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.235 seconds.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
5m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

12m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

18m / Random Babble / Smokey

31m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

36m / Welcome to our Community! / Smokey

1h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

1h / Random Babble / Pack93z

1h / Super Bowl Talk / pkrjones

2h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

2h / Random Babble / Smokey

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Welcome to our Community! / Zero2Cool

3h / Random Babble / IronMan

4h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Smokey

4h / Random Babble / Smokey


Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.