Rockmolder
15 years ago

Too conservative? That's odd because I can recall quite a few games where the coach is blasted for going deep on 1st and 10.

It's amazing people want it both ways when things don't get executed.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I always find this amazing aswell.

I'm watching the game, looking at the chat, and someone start yelling when they call a screen play on 3 and 9. I can understand that, these plays don't og anywhere 9 out of 10 times... especially not if you use them 4 times a game.

Bit later in the game, we're on 3rd and 10, Rodgers throws it deep, he overthrows his receiver, and the same person start yelling.

I'm always wondering excactly what they want... Call a pass play and let all the receivers run hooks and outs after 10 yards?

The most dissapointing is obviously all the close losses. Especially the Tennesse one, because that really got your hopes up, nearly winning against an undefeated team, only to fall even deeper later in the season.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Unless the opposing team has shut down our offense completely and we're in desperate need of any kind of spark, I rarely like deep, downfield passes (unless, of course, the receiver is WIDE open). It's high-risk, high-reward, but the risk always seems higher than the reward. Let's face it: most interceptions occur on the deep bombs. Unless and until the medium passing game gets shut down, I don't see the reason to unnecessarily risk giving the ball back to the other team.

When I bitch about conservative playcalling, it's the choice of runs in obvious medium-distance passing situations that I'm protesting. I can with complete consistency complain about bad choices of runs and deep passes.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago
I agree, but we pretty often go to Jordy on a curl route or Jennings/Driver on a route over the middle. After a while they get predictable though. Maybe McCarthy somehow hopes to get the 10 yards with a quick screen play, but that usually doesn't work with alot of defenders on the 1st down line.

I do pretty often see Jennings running free though, seems lke they sneak their defenders up when Jordy has catched some balls on underneath routes etc. and either Jennings or Driver are one on one and gain some seperation... the only problem is that Rodgers as of late seems to under or overthrows these balls (Ofcourse, an incompletion like that is easier to remember than a completion), otherwise, they seem like pretty good calls.
buckeyepackfan
15 years ago
I have been saying it since before the regular season started.
Aaron Rodgers will not be a successful( as far as wins-losses)qb for Green Bay with the current management and coaching staff that is in place.

They were so worried about AR's stats, with the comparison to Brett Favre, that they forgot The Packers needed to win the close games.

It has been posted almost every losing week, "you can't blame Aaron Rodgers for this loss, look at his stats, he played a great game."

I am not blaming Aaron Rodgers for anything, I tend not to "put the blame" on any one player, in the end IT IS THE COACHING STAFF who have to take responsibility.

Way to conservative in their play calling, how many times this year have The Packers either got an early lead or came back from a deficit, only to start playing"not to lose" ball, leading to another defeat?

Some of you tend to focus on the last 2-5 minutes of a ball game, when it seems The Packers could never either put the ball into the endzone and settled for a FG, or couldn't stop the other team from scoring.

Go back and look at most of those close games and you will see where The Packers were in close games at the end because they would not let the offense continue, early in the game,what they did best which was move the ball through the air.

This is a 60 minute game, games are not won and loss on the last drives, they are just finished off.

I would have much rather seen Aaron Rodgers with 30-35 tds even if it meant he had 18-20 interceptions, I am betting The Packers would have more than 5 wins at this point.
Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy next year don't try and protect your QB's stats, let him show what he can do for a full 60 minutes, I bet the W-L record will be a lot better.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
DGB454
15 years ago

Aaron Rodgers will not be a successful( as far as wins-losses)qb for Green Bay with the current management and coaching staff that is in place.

They were so worried about Aaron Rodgers's stats, with the comparison to Brett Favre, that they forgot The Packers needed to win the close games.

It has been posted almost every losing week, "you can't blame Aaron Rodgers for this loss, look at his stats, he played a great game."

I am not blaming Aaron Rodgers for anything, I tend not to "put the blame" on any one player, in the end IT IS THE COACHING STAFF who have to take responsibility.

Way to conservative in their play calling, how many times this year have The Packers either got an early lead or came back from a deficit, only to start playing"not to lose" ball, leading to another defeat?

Some of you tend to focus on the last 2-5 minutes of a ball game, when it seems The Packers could never either put the ball into the endzone and settled for a FG, or couldn't stop the other team from scoring.

Go back and look at most of those close games and you will see where The Packers were in close games at the end because they would not let the offense continue, early in the game,what they did best which was move the ball through the air.

This is a 60 minute game, games are not won and loss on the last drives, they are just finished off.

I would have much rather seen Aaron Rodgers with 30-35 tds even if it meant he had 18-20 interceptions, I am betting The Packers would have more than 5 wins at this point.

Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy next year don't try and protect your QB's stats, let him show what he can do for a full 60 minutes, I bet the W-L record will be a lot better.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

It seemed like that to me in a lot of games. There were some we went all out to win (Bears and Colts) but way too many we just played not to loose. Let Aaron Rodgers and the rest of the O play up to their potential the full 60 minutes.
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

They were so worried about Aaron Rodgers's stats, with the comparison to Brett Favre, that they forgot The Packers needed to win the close games.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

ROFL so now the staff is padding Rodgers stats to safe face even in losses?

So how is your theory that we never landed on the moon going for ya? :physassult: :physassult: :physassult: :physassult: :physassult: :physassult: :wickedfart: :wickedfart: :wickedfart:
UserPostedImage
DGB454
15 years ago
For me I'm not saying the coaches worried about Rodgers stats as much as they played way too consevitively. Once you are up keep playing to win and destroy the other team.
longtimefan
15 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

ROFL so now the staff is padding Rodgers stats to safe face even in losses?

So how is your theory that we never landed on the moon going for ya? :physassult: :physassult: :physassult: :physassult: :physassult: :physassult: :wickedfart: :wickedfart: :wickedfart:

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

I agree Z...

You would think to pad his stats they would want to score lot of points as well..

That in turn would led to more wins

I am going to say with 100% certainty that there was no plan to pad his stats which in turn led them to losing games

::roll:
longtimefan
15 years ago

Great article, really put the season in sum very well. Can't wait to hear what hazer has to say about that article saying that Rodgers has played well...

"dhazer" wrote:

Ok you want to know what i will say is that its just another person with the Rodger goggles on he is a decent qb but yet i like how they say its not any of his fault. I have seen alot of posters doing the same exact thing its always some other part of the teams fault. But yet when you compare rodgers to another qb its always because that qb has a running game or they have a great defense. But like some say it takes 53 guys to win a game and it takes 53 guys to lose a game.

See i didnt even cut Rodgers down.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

Of course he gets part of the blame, as does the D and S/T

That is what we have been saying all along..

Trouble is you focus just on his last 2 minutes and blame him...

there was 58 other minutes the D could have done something, as well as S/T..

And yes Aaron Rodgers could have got more points in that time frame as well..

But just as your famous stat of q/b rating of 45 in last 5 minutes, you forget he is one of the best in the red zone.

So if it wasnt for that, the team might not even be in the spots to win the games at the end..
flep
15 years ago
A good team finds ways to win close games

A poor team finds ways to lose close games.

That's where we are at, at the moment.

We win 4 of those games we lost by 4 or less (especially the one at Minny) and we would have been in the playoffs allready.
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 32 years
UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (19h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (20h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.