Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:58:11 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 452
Applause Received: 272

6 or 7 years ago or whatever it was, I was posting in a couple of other forums, and there was this big controversy. Should we use the highest first round pick we had in a long time before or since to take A.J. Hawk or Vernon Davis? As I recall, it was about 70/30 in favor of taking Hawk. I was in the minority, favoring Davis.

I'd like to know - as honestly as possible hahahaha - 1 where people in here stood in that debate back then, and 2 where they stand now in terms of taking Hawk over Davis.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Dulak  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:24:24 PM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 154
Applause Received: 100

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
6 or 7 years ago or whatever it was, I was posting in a couple of other forums, and there was this big controversy. Should we use the highest first round pick we had in a long time before or since to take A.J. Hawk or Vernon Davis? As I recall, it was about 70/30 in favor of taking Hawk. I was in the minority, favoring Davis.

I'd like to know - as honestly as possible hahahaha - 1 where people in here stood in that debate back then, and 2 where they stand now in terms of taking Hawk over Davis.

IMO davis is the best WR out there and has been for awhile ... dude is a stud.

finley looks like he might make a comeback this year - wouldnt be surprised if he has some nice numbers also - I didnt follow the pack as closely back then so ...
Offline Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:28:38 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,954
Applause Received: 2,186

I took my dog out of the fight because I was Al Davis'd with the freaky numbers VERNON Davis put up. I wasn't thrilled with A.J. Hawk, but he basically is what every said he was going to be. Everyone (sports brilliant folk that is) said that Hawk peaked already and was low risk. You knew what you'd get. Davis could be a star TE or a star athlete in underwear only.
UserPostedImage
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:37:14 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 331
Applause Received: 443

Just another Ted Thompson F--k up!!!!
Duh! Duh! Duh! Duh! Duh! Duh!
another in a long length OF GM miscues, starting as far back as 1989..when.............................................................................................................................................................................................................
DAMNIT WE COULD HAVE HAD BARRY SANDERS!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline DoddPower  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:02:21 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,040
Applause Received: 514

In hindsight, I would prefer V. Davis. Hawk is a solid player, but it's nice to get a rare athletic specimen when picking that high, imo. Decent to good linebackers can be found elsewhere. The truly elite athletes that are also good NFL players are rare and very tough to come by.
Offline nyrpack  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:15:50 PM(UTC)
nyrpack

Applause Given: 4
Applause Received: 57

coming out of school at ohio state, i was thrilled to land hawk, hes a good player that unfortunately didnt live up to the hype, but it could have been alot worse !!
jimmy b.
Offline porky88  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:10:57 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 193
Applause Received: 397

I would take Haloti Ngata over both.
thanks Post received 4 applause.
PackFanWithTwins on 9/10/2013(UTC), Bigbyfan on 9/10/2013(UTC), play2win on 9/11/2013(UTC), Wade on 9/11/2013(UTC)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:00:07 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 371

I've never taken sides on we should take this player or that. I would have been pleased with either.

Hawk has been exactly what he was seen as. The safest pick of the draft. Not the highest upside, but very little risk of being a failure. He was never expected to be Ray Lewis. He has been dependable, and he has been reasonably priced. He is not flashy, but the coaches say he is always where he is suppose to be. He is unselfish, he is like the FB of the defense. He takes on the lead blockers so others can make the play.

I am not sure how Davis would have fit into the offense. He definately had the talent, but that was a time when the offense was building the fab 5 WR group. TE was not a big part of the offense at that time, we were using them mostly for blocking with occasional routes.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline DoddPower  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:04:21 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,040
Applause Received: 514

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
I've never taken sides on we should take this player or that. I would have been pleased with either.

Hawk has been exactly what he was seen as. The safest pick of the draft. Not the highest upside, but very little risk of being a failure. He was never expected to be Ray Lewis. He has been dependable, and he has been reasonably priced. He is not flashy, but the coaches say he is always where he is suppose to be. He is unselfish, he is like the FB of the defense. He takes on the lead blockers so others can make the play.

I am not sure how Davis would have fit into the offense. He definately had the talent, but that was a time when the offense was building the fab 5 WR group. TE was not a big part of the offense at that time, we were using them mostly for blocking with occasional routes.

A good coach would make someone as talented as Davis fit into their system. Also, drafting him would have probably changed some other moves as well, so it's hard to predict.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:12:32 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 371

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
A good coach would make someone as talented as Davis fit into their system. Also, drafting him would have probably changed some other moves as well, so it's hard to predict.

True, but there is no telling what the team would look like today? If they took an offensive receiving threat, would they still have taken Jennings in the 2nd. Would they still have followed with Jones and Nelson the following years. The team would more than likely be completely different, and that could be better or worse. Nobody will ever know.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:46:20 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

I recall wanting to trade up for Mario Williams or Bush. But I wanted Hawk over the workout warrior Vernon Davis. It took Mike Singletary kicking Davis' ass for three years to get the player we see now to come out. As far as I'm concerned, that's Singletary's team in San Francisco, and I wish we would bring him in to coach our defense.

So for the record Texas, I did not want VD.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:48:14 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
Just another Ted Thompson F--k up!!!!
Duh! Duh! Duh! Duh! Duh! Duh!
another in a long length OF GM miscues, starting as far back as 1989..when.............................................................................................................................................................................................................
DAMNIT WE COULD HAVE HAD BARRY SANDERS!!!!!!!!!

Get over yourself and your Hawk fetish, already. This is actually a good thread.
UserPostedImage
Offline Dulak  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:51:07 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 154
Applause Received: 100

I might not remember hawk vs davis but I do remember mandrich vs sanders - that was a good one huh - we should get a poster or mandrich for zero :)
Offline musccy  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 4:55:42 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 242
Applause Received: 232

Originally Posted by: Dulak Go to Quoted Post
but I do remember mandrich vs sanders - that was a good one huh

The Pack should get complimentary draft picks for the next 100 years for that one.

As for the thread, I liked the Hawk pick at the time, likely using 20/20 hindsight I'd side with Vernon.

Offline play2win  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:04:33 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: porky88 Go to Quoted Post
I would take Haloti Ngata over both.

Indeed. I wanted Ngata.

Imagine how different THAT team would have been. We had to wait till 2009 to get some beef in the middle with Raji.

We would have had a fierce DL, with Barnett and Bishop in their primes in the middle. Might have been better off that way.

Davis seemed too much like a Barbie.

Hawk was the safe pick that 95% of prognosticators mocked correctly to GB.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Wade on 9/11/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed