Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nyrpack  
#16 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 4:30:33 PM(UTC)
nyrpack

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)
Location: long island, ny

Applause Given: 4
Applause Received: 53

had a bad game, but it was against a very good defensive team !!
jimmy b.
Offline RaiderPride  
#17 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 9:18:53 PM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 7/17/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 106
Applause Received: 195

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
A couple of things.. the coaches can say it all they want.. but flipping guys from one side to the other impacts their play.. especially when the competition is a pro bowl player like Justin Smith, that dude is a physical beast.

It was the first game.. and I think at least two of those calls were legit.. Sitton has to clean that up before we see these guys again.

People talk about Suh... but Justin Smith for my money is right there with the best defensive lineman in the league.


As usual 93 Z is a keyboard typing read of reason.

The switch of Lang and Sitton did not work out as planned on either side of the line. It was the first game, and everyone here besides perhaps... (Insert Packers Home Member Name Here.) knows that the O line needs time to jell as a unit.

93 Z is as right as rain, Smith is a BEAST.

Right off the bat.. Smith made Sitton look horrible on a running play? (First drive?) I think Smith got right in Sitton's head, right there and right then.

You know O Linemen. They are too smart, to analytical, and tend to over think things. Sitton will be fine.

Great Post 93 Z...

BUT THEN AGAIN... I SURE CAN UNDERSTAND ZERO's Frustration.

14 and 2 on the year. TRUST ME! : )
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Offline StoicFire  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:29:49 PM(UTC)
StoicFire

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 10/19/2010(UTC)
Location: Bloomington, IN

Applause Given: 29
Applause Received: 54

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
There were many times he held inside the pads. Plain as day. Disappointing.


Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, I don't get it. The holds were incredibly obvious, imo. Thinking otherwise is seeing things through green and gold glasses. Holds often could go either way, but Sitton definitely was blatantly holding several times.


Blocking Lineman are permitted to grasp defenders inside the shoulder pads. What you saw was not illegal, it was OK.

From the NFL rule book: "Blocker cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an opponent in a manner that restricts his movement as the play develops."

I think one of the calls on Sitton was obviously correct, as he got one arm outside of Smith's body and prevented lateral movement toward the ball carrier.
I thought another one of the calls was close, ticky-tack, or good acting by Smith... not sure.
One of them though (I believe it was the third one called, where Sitton through up his hands in disgust afterwards) seemed like a perfectly legal block to me. I can see why Clements and company would not agree with all of the calls.
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
Offline DoddPower  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:34:47 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 2,000
Applause Received: 487

Originally Posted by: StoicFire Go to Quoted Post
Blocking Lineman are permitted to grasp defenders inside the shoulder pads. What you saw was not illegal, it was OK.

From the NFL rule book: "Blocker cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an opponent in a manner that restricts his movement as the play develops."

I think one of the calls on Sitton was obviously correct, as he got one arm outside of Smith's body and prevented lateral movement toward the ball carrier.
I thought another one of the calls was close, ticky-tack, or good acting by Smith... not sure.
One of them though (I believe it was the third one called, where Sitton through up his hands in disgust afterwards) seemed like a perfectly legal block to me. I can see why Clements and company would not agree with all of the calls.


It's well known, but holding calls can almost always go either way, except for the incredibly obvious ones. I thought Sitton was holding on his penalties, but I wouldn't have been shocked to see them not called, either. Things always look a lot different when one is a few feet away at live speed. Much different, usually. As someone who has been an umpire for base ball and soft ball a lot, I can attest to that fact. It's very difficult. I can't imagine how hard it must be at NFL speed. If something is in the gray area, I'm not surprised if it's called or not called. In fact, I think there were several holding calls against the Packers that weren't called, but that didn't surprise me. It can go either way.
Offline StoicFire  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:57:05 PM(UTC)
StoicFire

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 10/19/2010(UTC)
Location: Bloomington, IN

Applause Given: 29
Applause Received: 54

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
It's well known, but holding calls can almost always go either way, except for the incredibly obvious ones. I thought Sitton was holding on his penalties, but I wouldn't have been shocked to see them not called, either. Things always look a lot different when one is a few feet away at live speed. Much different, usually. As someone who has been an umpire for base ball and soft ball a lot, I can attest to that fact. It's very difficult. I can't imagine how hard it must be at NFL speed. If something is in the gray area, I'm not surprised if it's called or not called. In fact, I think there were several holding calls against the Packers that weren't called, but that didn't surprise me. It can go either way.


Yeah. I can't imagine what it would be like at that speed. My only refereeing experience is at recreational level soccer leagues, but even then it can always be tough to see exactly what happened.

I also thought I saw several holds that were uncalled by both teams actually. I'm glad that holding isn't called every down.

The real reason for that post was the rules clarification though, because I wasn't sure whether everyone was clear on it or not.
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
Offline DoddPower  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:01:09 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 2,000
Applause Received: 487

Originally Posted by: StoicFire Go to Quoted Post
Yeah. I can't imagine what it would be like at that speed. My only refereeing experience is at recreational level soccer leagues, but even then it can always be tough to see exactly what happened.

I also thought I saw several holds that were uncalled by both teams actually. I'm glad that holding isn't called every down.

The real reason for that post was the rules clarification though, because I wasn't sure whether everyone was clear on it or not.


I honestly think the rules in the NFL are getting out of hand. The officials have such an impact on the games now. I feel like I'm watching (and paying: Sunday ticket, Satellite, etc.) to watch the game, not a bunch of zebras throw yellow snot rags all over the field. It just gets on my nerves and is only getting worse.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Wade on 9/11/2013(UTC)
Offline Wade  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:57:50 AM(UTC)
Wade

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/1/2009(UTC)
Location: nowhere of importance

Applause Given: 674
Applause Received: 688

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
I honestly think the rules in the NFL are getting out of hand. The officials have such an impact on the games now. I feel like I'm watching (and paying: Sunday ticket, Satellite, etc.) to watch the game, not a bunch of zebras throw yellow snot rags all over the field. It just gets on my nerves and is only getting worse.


There's a reason a lot of refs who are lawyers.

Look at the way people (players, coaches, fine-givers, and, yes, fans) nit-pick and line-draw and engage in the meaning of every word in the rules.

Someone once said that "perfection is the enemy of the good." This fits perfect here. We all seem to expect that every call must be right. That's simply silly. It's not possible. People make mistakes. And no amount of lawyering and careful rule-writing is going to change that. Because interpreters of rules are people, too. And people make mistakes.

We all need to get used to that and move. Football as done by the NFL is incredibly good. But it's not good because the NFL has a rule book that it takes a lawyer to interpret. It's good because the people who play football are incredibly good at what they do.

Not perfect. Blockers, tacklers, runners, passers, catchers, kickers...they're good. They're never going to be perfect.

And neither are refs. But the more we try to ensure the refs are perfect (by changing and complicating the rules), the more the refs are going to interfere with the essential goodness of the product.

Refs are going to miss calls. Sometimes its going to make a significant difference. It happens. Get used to it and move on.

IMO

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
 
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
2 Pages<12
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.247 seconds.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
22m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

31m / Random Babble / Smokey

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / macbob

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

4h / Random Babble / Gilligan

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

6h / Random Babble / Smokey

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

6h / Random Babble / Cheesey

6h / Random Babble / Cheesey

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann


Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.