Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 5:44:40 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 300
Applause Received: 366

LombardiAve wrote:
The Green Bay Packers just fell short in their 28 — 34 loss against the San Francisco 49ers. The season opener showed a Packers team that can compete with the top tier teams of the NFL. Despite the loss, it bodes well that Green Bay matched the Niners' level of physical play and were in [...]

Edited by moderator Tuesday, September 10, 2013 10:32:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 5:51:29 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 300
Applause Received: 366

Interesting that Lacy ran well from shotgun and spread formations. They may have to lean on that in the future against teams like the Giants. Also wondering why not use either Starks or Franklin yesterday from a spread formation and try to use their speed. I know Franklin struggled in preseason but just give him a toss to the outside or something. And while it wasn't mentioned in the article, why bench Lacy when you specifically drafted him for these games? Make him run extra laps or something during the week.
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 6:11:45 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

Same story different day. Our run game has basically been inconsistent to down right terrible for years. And it all started with one event. Hiring of McCarthy and changing of the blocking scheme. It hasn't worked in GB.

The reason things work better in the spread and gun is because they are not dependent as much on the Oline opening holes. It is more blocking the defender out of the way the direction they are going. The scheme turned both Tauscher and Clifton who were both good blockers prior into less than average run blockers. And it is doing the same for our guys now.

Not to forget that in the preseason, we seldom ran with the first team.

If we should worry about Lacy being 14 for 41. SF should really worry about Gore being 21 for 44.

Edited by user Monday, September 9, 2013 7:04:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 9:16:14 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 224

Yeah, our O Line is so absolutely piss poor that you could have Adrian Peterson or Jim Brown in his prime, and they couldn't just ram it into the backward moving butts of the O Linemen and gain anything. (yeah, I suppose Barry Sanders could run even under those circumstances).

Anyway, the point is, we have the greatest passing attack in the world. The key to "getting the running game going" is NOT forcing the running game to get going - just do what we do best, PASS, then hit 'em with a few change of paces - runs. And even then, it better be run with some form of deception, because our pathetic O Linemen can't block straight up worth shit.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
yooperfan on 9/10/2013(UTC), Cheesey on 9/10/2013(UTC)
Offline yooperfan  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 10:08:29 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 524
Applause Received: 243

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, our O Line is so absolutely piss poor that you could have Adrian Peterson or Jim Brown in his prime, and they couldn't just ram it into the backward moving butts of the O Linemen and gain anything. (yeah, I suppose Barry Sanders could run even under those circumstances).

Anyway, the point is, we have the greatest passing attack in the world. The key to "getting the running game going" is NOT forcing the running game to get going - just do what we do best, PASS, then hit 'em with a few change of paces - runs. And even then, it better be run with some form of deception, because our pathetic O Linemen can't block straight up worth sh!t.

I have given up all hope that TT, Mike McCarthy and James Campen will ever develop a decent offensive line for the Green Bay Packers.
Drafting, coaching and what ever "scheme" they are using has been and probably will remain in the pathetic category.
Throw in the football gods that are determined that any bright spot that does happen to show up will be lost to injury.

So under the current regime I have resigned myself to the fact that we are destined to have a bunch of fat asses who would be no more than back ups on upper echelon football teams protecting the most valuable QB in the NFL and closing the very holes they are supposed to open for running backs.

thanks Post received 2 applause.
DoddPower on 9/10/2013(UTC), coltonja on 9/11/2013(UTC)
Offline StoicFire  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 10:16:11 AM(UTC)
StoicFire

Applause Given: 28
Applause Received: 49

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
I have given up all hope that TT, Mike McCarthy and James Campen will ever develop a decent offensive line for the Green Bay Packers.
Drafting, coaching and what ever "scheme" they are using has been and probably will remain in the pathetic category.
Throw in the football gods that are determined that any bright spot that does happen to show up will be lost to injury.

So under the current regime I have resigned myself to the fact that we are destined to have a bunch of fat asses who would be no more than back ups on upper echelon football teams protecting the most valuable QB in the NFL and closing the very holes they are supposed to open for running backs.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. We've seen one game so far this season. One. And it happened to be against one of the most dominant (particularly against the run) front sevens in the league. I mean seriously, it doesn't seem fair to criticize our run game too harshly just yet... I need more data.

I don't think we gain a ground game overnight either, but I expect to see gradual improvement as the season progresses. Barring injury, the line will build chemistry. I think Lacy will settle in as well. Personally I'm looking forward to the journey.
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
Offline steveishere  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:36:03 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 805

I don't care if they run every play or pass every play as long as they have a good offense. Anyone who expected them to do much on the ground vs SF just wasn't thinking straight. SF has an elite run defense. To be honest we ran the ball better than I expected us to.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 9/10/2013(UTC)
Offline Cheesey  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:54:22 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

What bothered me was, "run on 1st down, run on 2nd down, pass on 3rd".
To me, they should use the run as a surprise. Catch the other team off guard.

I haven't given up on Lacy or the run. But i think Mike McCarthy needs to be more creative on how they use it.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker on 9/10/2013(UTC)
Offline StoicFire  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:12:32 PM(UTC)
StoicFire

Originally Posted by: Cheesey Go to Quoted Post
What bothered me was, "run on 1st down, run on 2nd down, pass on 3rd".
To me, they should use the run as a surprise. Catch the other team off guard.

I haven't given up on Lacy or the run. But i think Mike McCarthy needs to be more creative on how they use it.

I had mixed feelings about that. On one hand I thought of it as having a low probability for success, and it put Rodgers and company in a tough spot (therefore, bad decision). But on the other hand I thought it was a statement. McCarthy standing behind his words when he declared that the Packers WILL do a better job running the football this year.

So the jury is still out on this one for me. I like the commitment, but the lack of success made the strategy tough to swallow. Then again, the holding penalties really didn't help...
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
Offline DoddPower  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:58:23 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,774
Applause Received: 418

Originally Posted by: StoicFire Go to Quoted Post
I had mixed feelings about that. On one hand I thought of it as having a low probability for success, and it put Rodgers and company in a tough spot (therefore, bad decision). But on the other hand I thought it was a statement. McCarthy standing behind his words when he declared that the Packers WILL do a better job running the football this year.

So the jury is still out on this one for me. I like the commitment, but the lack of success made the strategy tough to swallow. Then again, the holding penalties really didn't help...

Yeah, if the running plays worked well, it wouldn't even reach 3rd down every time and if it did, it could have been 3rd and short, giving the offense many options. It wasn't a problem of play calling really, it was more a matter of execution and success.
Offline Yerko  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:09:50 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 141
Applause Received: 229

I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. We've seen one game so far this season. One. And it happened to be against one of the most dominant (particularly against the run) front sevens in the league. I mean seriously, it doesn't seem fair to criticize our run game too harshly just yet... I need more data.

I don't think we gain a ground game overnight either, but I expect to see gradual improvement as the season progresses. Barring injury, the line will build chemistry. I think Lacy will settle in as well. Personally I'm looking forward to the journey.

This is the second positive post I have seen from you today and you were told to wait until Thursday.

Go sit in the corner and put this dunce cap on. Smile
Vikings Dunce

Serious now, I agree with you to an extent. I am willing to give this group of guys a chance to build a chemistry together. The offensive line setting and the runningback is brand new and hasn't had the proper time to mesh. Add that to the fact that they played one of the most dominant rush defenses in the entire league and we should be happy a touchdown came out of it. San Fran only gave up 7 rushing touchdowns last season.

The other part of me does not think this offensive line is built for the run block. Lang and EDS are not good run blockers and I don't think ever were. Outside of Sitton, we don't really have anything close to a mauler of a run blocker. I can't make judgement on Bahktairi and Barclay just yet.
UserPostedImage
SINCITYCHEEZE on 9/11/2013(UTC)
Offline yooperfan  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:18:19 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 524
Applause Received: 243

It is 1 game and it was against the mighty 49ers.
Don't expect too much. No.
What about the last 7 years of shitty offensive line play.
Once Clifton, Tauscher and Wells were gone, who were not drafted by TT, the collapse became complete.
Since McCarthy came on board the line has been a case of musical chairs every year.

Sitton made the Pro Bowl at right guard, hell lets make him the left guard. (ya I know we had to do something to keep Aaron Rodgers from getting sacked 51 times again this year)
I'm just disgusted that they cannot develop a quality offensive line.
It's not like this regime hasn't had enough time.

Wade on 9/11/2013(UTC)
Offline StoicFire  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:49:57 PM(UTC)
StoicFire

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
This is the second positive post I have seen from you today and you were told to wait until Thursday.

Go sit in the corner and put this dunce cap on. Smile
Vikings Dunce

That just may be the ultimate dunce cap... but I don't plan on ever wearing it!
I'm going to have to learn to turn my positivity down though. Oops.

It is 1 game and it was against the mighty 49ers.
Don't expect too much. No.
What about the last 7 years of sh!tty offensive line play.
Once Clifton, Tauscher and Wells were gone, who were not drafted by TT, the collapse became complete.
Since McCarthy came on board the line has been a case of musical chairs every year.

Sitton made the Pro Bowl at right guard, hell lets make him the left guard. (ya I know we had to do something to keep Aaron Rodgers from getting sacked 51 times again this year)

I think they assembled a really good young offensive line this year. I'm not a big proponent of making excuses, but with Bulaga at Tackle I think this would be a VERY strong line. I think injuries are generally what turns it into musical chairs, not really any fault in drafting and developing players.

We all need to recognize though, that this line was built for pass blocking. Everyone on it (except maybe Sitton?) was originally a Tackle. That is why I defend the fact that they run a zone-blocking scheme. Tackles are praised for their ability to move laterally and agilely, and that is exactly what is required to run a quality zone-blocking run offense. I think the O-line and running game will be at least decent once they get more reps. We'll see though.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:52:05 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 224

I really think that the Packers, despite our horribly lame O Line, could just let Aaron Rodgers pass it virtually every play, and still win 11 or 12 out of 16 games, even with our sub-par defense. (Hey, that's what happened last year - 11 or 12 depending on the Seattle game).

I'm not saying we SHOULD do that, just that it is a minimum - a starting point. We seem to have a better D this season, and of course, we have Lacy, and the O Line, who knows - they have no place to go but up, so we SHOULD do better than that baseline record of last season.

What we DON'T need is to FORCE the run. Just do what we have done the last three great seasons, and let the run happen naturally - this year with Lacy.

As for the idea of giving up or not on TT, MM, or even Campen, there has been a little bit of a bad luck factor - injuries mainly. I'm willing to give them another year or two before pulling the plug and blowing up the team Big Grin
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline sschind  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:41:51 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 100
Applause Received: 388

They drafted OL in the first round two years in a row and those guys are hurt. I'm not using the injuries as an excuse as to why the line sucks, who knows it may suck even with them but you can't say Ted Thompson has ignored the position.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Rss Feed