Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sschind  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 7:00:45 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 117
Applause Received: 417

Does anyone recall the several posts from prior to the game that said the Packers should give Kaepernick a couple of good shots even if they were late hits just to shut him up. Well, Matthews did that and we are bitching about it.

Matthews made two of the best plays I have ever seen on defense the one where he nailed the RB for a loss right after taking the hand off and the other where he nailed CK for the sack after he faked the hand off.

No doubt about it, the packers prepared to stop the read option and they did it well. The problem is it played right into Harbaugh's hands. He knew we had to and we would concentrate on stopping that aspect of the game so he let that become our downfall. We concentrated so much on not letting the 49ers run all over us that we forgot that they can throw the ball as well.

Some will say it is superior coaching but in MMs defense he had no choice but to do what he did. He had to make the adjustment and he did. Harbaugh just made on as well. Its like a goalie during a penalty kick in that other game they call football. He has to make a guess which way the kick will go. Harbaugh made the right guess as to which way Mike McCarthy would go.

I think it was Williams who dropped the potential pick six on the first series and I remember thinking "this does not bode well" but then again I remember also thinking "he will get the next one" so I'm not sure what it all means. In games like this though those plays are critical.

Our run D was great but I wonder how much of that was Harbaugh saying "we will give you that as long as we can keep throwing the ball" Don't get me wrong, we really stuffed them at first but toward the end they started hitting a few better runs (damn Gore TD cost me a game a game as well. I lost by 5.8 points.) I'm not sure if the results would have been the same for our run defense had the 49ers committed to running the ball. I'm also not sure what that says about my confidence in our defense as a whole

I knew I should have moved Boldin up on my list and I said I was going to but when it came right down to it I didn't make the move soon enough. I also had Davis in my sights and someone nabbed him a round before me. I waited a round longer than I may have because I was also looking at Jordan Cameron (or is it Cameron Jordan) from Cleveland whom I eventually got 4 rounds later.

My overall reaction to the game. Frustration. Not disappointment because, while I am certainly disappointed, I honestly had this game down for as a loss for us. I knew we could win and thought that maybe we would win and I do think we could have won (hence the frustration) but I would not have bet money on us.

Others have said it, this was a difficult game to play on the road against one of the best teams in the league and we came pretty close to beating them. There are no moral victories (and I am not sure this would qualify as one anyway) but there were a lot of positives to take away from this loss. I won't go over them again because other threads have covered it. I'll just leave you with this. You can dwell on the negatives or you can focus the positives. Its either a pile of horse crap or there is a pony around here somewhere. Me? I'm looking for that pony... but I am not forgetting to hold my nose as I do so.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 5 applause.
Pack93z on 9/9/2013(UTC), yooperfan on 9/9/2013(UTC), texaspackerbacker on 9/9/2013(UTC), Dulak on 9/9/2013(UTC), macbob on 9/9/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 7:09:43 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 390
Applause Received: 1,062

The only complaint I have about Matthews hit.. was the timing of the hit. In both the game situation and play situation.. other than that, he played a beautifully physical game.

I mentioned last week about someone channeling his inner "Wayne Simmons".. Matthews certainly fulfilled.

One thing I did note all game long.. almost no impact from Perry or anyone else on the opposite edge.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline musccy  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 7:41:01 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 229
Applause Received: 220

I actually thought Perry had some nice plays...can't recall the specifics but there was one when he was the only left edge rusher and he did a nice spin move around SF's right tackle to contain Kaep and push him back inside into more pressure.

Agreed that aside from Matthews 1 bonehead play, he had a phenomenal game.

I can live with the team throwing all the eggs into the read option basket. Imagine the outrage/panic if the 49ers gashed the Pack again on the ground! It's not as if the Packers didn't have cornerbacks back there and were selling out with 11 in the box. The secondary was there to make plays, they just didn't.
Offline play2win  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 7:44:43 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
The only complaint I have about Matthews hit.. was the timing of the hit. In both the game situation and play situation.. other than that, he played a beautifully physical game.

I mentioned last week about someone channeling his inner "Wayne Simmons".. Matthews certainly fulfilled.

One thing I did note all game long.. almost no impact from Perry or anyone else on the opposite edge.

Exactly. Where the F was ANYONE ELSE, other than Matthews? Unbelievable. The list of Packers MIAs is long.

Is Ted Thompson misreading his personnel moves on D? Is Mike McCarthy and his staff failing to develop the talent Ted is giving them? Are they just not very good players?

Perry looked horrible in getting swept into the blocks, unable to get out, time and time again. Datone Jones did very little to create any kind of pressure. Brad Jones? 6-3" - with speed - and the guy cannot cover over the middle? WTF? I will say this, two of these three players had their success in college as edge rushers on the DL. The conversions to LB look to be failing miserably. Why are we trying to force square pegs into round holes? Constantly? If we want a good outside LB, why don't we just draft one like we did with Matthews? F.

Brad Jones and Nick Perry are undersized DEs at the pro level. In Green Bay, they are forced to play LB positions that are not natural fits for either player.

Can anyone explain why MD Jennings is still a Packer? Has he exhibited ANY skill as a S?

Why did we not see more of Davon House in our secondary? He made some good STs plays. I just don't get this. The mismanagement of talent on this team blows my mind. The Packers did not look prepared. They played reactionary. They exacted no will upon the 49ers. None. They gave away countless opportunities, on a hostile field. Finley? Ross? Lacy? Sitton? Did these 4 players not want to win? Did they not know what the stakes were? How many $8 Million mistakes can we put up with from Finley? His gaffes almost always cost us Wins. And, that was another important Win that we let slip away into the abyss. We looked like dog sh*t. Ross? Are you F'in kidding me? Bringing that ball out? Lacy? You know about protecting the rock. No? Sitton? How many holding calls? How many drive killers?

Mike McCarthy should take a good long look at himself in the mirror. So should Dom. So should Ted. Honestly, we look like we are running a Chinese Fire Drill on Offense. WTF? And, again, we look like we do not have the talent on Defense to compete. WTF?

I'll add that Kaepernick and Boldin are clearly a class above the rest. They proved as much yesterday. We had no answer. Again. We looked like we didn't belong. Again. I am super disappointed in this Packers loss. This team has some more work to do if they want to compete.
Offline nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 10:03:12 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,557
Applause Received: 640

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post

No doubt about it, the packers prepared to stop the read option and they did it well. The problem is it played right into Harbaugh's hands. He knew we had to and we would concentrate on stopping that aspect of the game so he let that become our downfall. We concentrated so much on not letting the 49ers run all over us that we forgot that they can throw the ball as well.

Some will say it is superior coaching but in MMs defense he had no choice but to do what he did. He had to make the adjustment and he did. Harbaugh just made on as well. Its like a goalie during a penalty kick in that other game they call football. He has to make a guess which way the kick will go. Harbaugh made the right guess as to which way Mike McCarthy would go.

I do believe there is more Mike could have done. He could have burned clock to keep Kaepernick off the field. Fewer plays mean fewer opportunities.

And fresher defense.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 10:04:35 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Exactly. Where the F was ANYONE ELSE, other than Matthews? Unbelievable. The list of Packers MIAs is long.

Is Ted Thompson misreading his personnel moves on D? Is Mike McCarthy and his staff failing to develop the talent Ted is giving them? Are they just not very good players?

Perry looked horrible in getting swept into the blocks, unable to get out, time and time again. Datone Jones did very little to create any kind of pressure. Brad Jones? 6-3" - with speed - and the guy cannot cover over the middle? WTF? I will say this, two of these three players had their success in college as edge rushers on the DL. The conversions to LB look to be failing miserably. Why are we trying to force square pegs into round holes? Constantly? If we want a good outside LB, why don't we just draft one like we did with Matthews? F.

Brad Jones and Nick Perry are undersized DEs at the pro level. In Green Bay, they are forced to play LB positions that are not natural fits for either player.

Can anyone explain why MD Jennings is still a Packer? Has he exhibited ANY skill as a S?

Why did we not see more of Davon House in our secondary? He made some good STs plays. I just don't get this. The mismanagement of talent on this team blows my mind. The Packers did not look prepared. They played reactionary. They exacted no will upon the 49ers. None. They gave away countless opportunities, on a hostile field. Finley? Ross? Lacy? Sitton? Did these 4 players not want to win? Did they not know what the stakes were? How many $8 Million mistakes can we put up with from Finley? His gaffes almost always cost us Wins. And, that was another important Win that we let slip away into the abyss. We looked like dog sh!t. Ross? Are you F'in kidding me? Bringing that ball out? Lacy? You know about protecting the rock. No? Sitton? How many holding calls? How many drive killers?

Mike McCarthy should take a good long look at himself in the mirror. So should Dom. So should Ted. Honestly, we look like we are running a Chinese Fire Drill on Offense. WTF? And, again, we look like we do not have the talent on Defense to compete. WTF?

I'll add that Kaepernick and Boldin are clearly a class above the rest. They proved as much yesterday. We had no answer. Again. We looked like we didn't belong. Again. I am super disappointed in this Packers loss. This team has some more work to do if they want to compete.

Perry is fine. We were NOT attempting to pressure the QB in this game. We were trying to CONTAIN him. Big difference. That's gonna be the plan against RGIII this coming week too.

Hopefully we won't also leave their best WR uncovered for the entire game.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 9/9/2013(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 10:30:51 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 117
Applause Received: 417

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
I do believe there is more Mike could have done. He could have burned clock to keep Kaepernick off the field. Fewer plays mean fewer opportunities.

And fresher defense.

Oh, I agree Mike McCarthy missed a few opportunities here. I was referring specifically about his options with regards to stopping the run option to keep from getting beat like we did in the playoffs last year. He did what he had to do there.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
nerdmann on 9/9/2013(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 10:39:25 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 938

And fresher defense.

You arent going to sustain many long drives with the pass pro we were getting and the inability to run. One sack and your drive is over. That gameplan would have just ended with very few long drives and very few points in the board.
Offline DarkaneRules  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 10:48:48 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 209
Applause Received: 351

Well I will keep stroking the 49ers ego some more. They may be the best team in the league and it is pick your poison with them. They are great in ALL phases of the game. They had a while to get to this point amassing great players with great execution, and now probably have the best coaching staff as well.

We stayed with them to the very end. It would have been awesome to be the best team in the league in week 1, but we aren't. Sucks. We played right there with them though. Showed up much better than the last two times. Encouraging but we just have to continue to get better.

First step: Give Ross and stern talking to or replace him on returns.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 11:01:40 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
You arent going to sustain many long drives with the pass pro we were getting and the inability to run. One sack and your drive is over. That gameplan would have just ended with very few long drives and very few points in the board.

Quote:
Rodgers led fast-paced touchdown drives of 6 plays, 80 yards (1:47); 8 plays, 62 yards (1:16); 7 plays, 69 yards (2:48) and 8 plays, 76 yards (2:30).

I also think some screens would have been pretty sweet yesterday. Remember that one to Lacy? I got wood from that play.
Gaycandybacon on 9/9/2013(UTC)
Offline gbguy20  
#11 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 11:03:26 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 285

I also think some screens would have been pretty sweet yesterday. Remember that one to Lacy? I got wood from that play.

first succesful screen ive seen us run since the days of sherman and ahman
call me Dan
Offline Dulak  
#12 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 11:29:06 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 154
Applause Received: 100

Nice post sschind!

reminds me of this game errr I thought it was last year; maybe falcons or ... bah I cant remember was going against a read option team - san fran or Washington or seattle ... anyways - they decided they were going to stop the read option also and dedicated one guy to always check the qb; problem was it was one guy used up and that let the other team use their running back much more effectively.
Offline steveishere  
#13 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 12:53:53 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 938

You don't understand Nerdman. If the offensive line is getting beat up on a majority of their plays you probably aren't going to have much luck if you are trying to go on a 15 play drive while only passing the ball. Also just because a drive took 2 minutes off the clock that doesn't mean the defense only got to rest for 2 minutes. An 8 play drive gives the defense 8 plays of rest whether it took 2 or 6 minutes off the clock. The offense ran the full time off the play clock on every play. 3 and outs hurt but that's what happens when you can't run and you get penalties.
Offline DoddPower  
#14 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 1:43:40 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,000
Applause Received: 487

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
You don't understand Nerdman. If the offensive line is getting beat up on a majority of their plays you probably aren't going to have much luck if you are trying to go on a 15 play drive while only passing the ball. Also just because a drive took 2 minutes off the clock that doesn't mean the defense only got to rest for 2 minutes. An 8 play drive gives the defense 8 plays of rest whether it took 2 or 6 minutes off the clock. The offense ran the full time off the play clock on every play. 3 and outs hurt but that's what happens when you can't run and you get penalties.

Yeah, I agree. Obviously, LONG drives that result in touchdowns are ideal. However, ideal situations aren't going to happen often against a team like the 49'ers. Ultimately, the goal is to score a touchdown, regardless of how it happens. Are the Packers supposed to turn down a long completion simply to try to sustain a longer drive?. BS. Take what's available. If the offense has an opportunity to score a touchdown, score it. Scoring on long drives is incredibly difficult, especially with the Packers offensive line and the SF defense. Ultimately, it's not going to happen very often. Small lapses in the defense must be taken advantage of when they present themselves, even if it's the first play every drive. It would be one thing if the Packers were averaging 5 yards per carry consistently up and down the field, but stopped running in order to pass. But that clearly wasn't the case in this game.

Besides, even when the defense was "fresh," they weren't stopping them very well, either.

Offline play2win  
#15 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 1:57:48 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I have a thought: MD Jennings, Jerron McMillian and Jarret Bush had absolutely horrific games. Horrific. So did Ross and his really poor decision making.

Change that and we win this game.