sschind
  • sschind
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
10 years ago
Does anyone recall the several posts from prior to the game that said the Packers should give Kaepernick a couple of good shots even if they were late hits just to shut him up. Well, Matthews did that and we are bitching about it.

Matthews made two of the best plays I have ever seen on defense the one where he nailed the RB for a loss right after taking the hand off and the other where he nailed CK for the sack after he faked the hand off.

No doubt about it, the packers prepared to stop the read option and they did it well. The problem is it played right into Harbaugh's hands. He knew we had to and we would concentrate on stopping that aspect of the game so he let that become our downfall. We concentrated so much on not letting the 49ers run all over us that we forgot that they can throw the ball as well.

Some will say it is superior coaching but in MMs defense he had no choice but to do what he did. He had to make the adjustment and he did. Harbaugh just made on as well. Its like a goalie during a penalty kick in that other game they call football. He has to make a guess which way the kick will go. Harbaugh made the right guess as to which way Mike McCarthy would go.

I think it was Williams who dropped the potential pick six on the first series and I remember thinking "this does not bode well" but then again I remember also thinking "he will get the next one" so I'm not sure what it all means. In games like this though those plays are critical.

Our run D was great but I wonder how much of that was Harbaugh saying "we will give you that as long as we can keep throwing the ball" Don't get me wrong, we really stuffed them at first but toward the end they started hitting a few better runs (damn Gore TD cost me a game a game as well. I lost by 5.8 points.) I'm not sure if the results would have been the same for our run defense had the 49ers committed to running the ball. I'm also not sure what that says about my confidence in our defense as a whole

I knew I should have moved Boldin up on my list and I said I was going to but when it came right down to it I didn't make the move soon enough. I also had Davis in my sights and someone nabbed him a round before me. I waited a round longer than I may have because I was also looking at Jordan Cameron (or is it Cameron Jordan) from Cleveland whom I eventually got 4 rounds later.

My overall reaction to the game. Frustration. Not disappointment because, while I am certainly disappointed, I honestly had this game down for as a loss for us. I knew we could win and thought that maybe we would win and I do think we could have won (hence the frustration) but I would not have bet money on us.

Others have said it, this was a difficult game to play on the road against one of the best teams in the league and we came pretty close to beating them. There are no moral victories (and I am not sure this would qualify as one anyway) but there were a lot of positives to take away from this loss. I won't go over them again because other threads have covered it. I'll just leave you with this. You can dwell on the negatives or you can focus the positives. Its either a pile of horse crap or there is a pony around here somewhere. Me? I'm looking for that pony... but I am not forgetting to hold my nose as I do so.
Pack93z
10 years ago
The only complaint I have about Matthews hit.. was the timing of the hit. In both the game situation and play situation.. other than that, he played a beautifully physical game.

I mentioned last week about someone channeling his inner "Wayne Simmons".. Matthews certainly fulfilled.

One thing I did note all game long.. almost no impact from Perry or anyone else on the opposite edge.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
musccy
10 years ago
I actually thought Perry had some nice plays...can't recall the specifics but there was one when he was the only left edge rusher and he did a nice spin move around SF's right tackle to contain Kaep and push him back inside into more pressure.

Agreed that aside from Matthews 1 bonehead play, he had a phenomenal game.

I can live with the team throwing all the eggs into the read option basket. Imagine the outrage/panic if the 49ers gashed the Pack again on the ground! It's not as if the Packers didn't have cornerbacks back there and were selling out with 11 in the box. The secondary was there to make plays, they just didn't.
play2win
10 years ago

The only complaint I have about Matthews hit.. was the timing of the hit. In both the game situation and play situation.. other than that, he played a beautifully physical game.

I mentioned last week about someone channeling his inner "Wayne Simmons".. Matthews certainly fulfilled.

One thing I did note all game long.. almost no impact from Perry or anyone else on the opposite edge.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Exactly. Where the F was ANYONE ELSE, other than Matthews? Unbelievable. The list of Packers MIAs is long.

Is Ted Thompson misreading his personnel moves on D? Is Mike McCarthy and his staff failing to develop the talent Ted is giving them? Are they just not very good players?

Perry looked horrible in getting swept into the blocks, unable to get out, time and time again. Datone Jones did very little to create any kind of pressure. Brad Jones? 6-3" - with speed - and the guy cannot cover over the middle? WTF? I will say this, two of these three players had their success in college as edge rushers on the DL. The conversions to LB look to be failing miserably. Why are we trying to force square pegs into round holes? Constantly? If we want a good outside LB, why don't we just draft one like we did with Matthews? F.

Brad Jones and Nick Perry are undersized DEs at the pro level. In Green Bay, they are forced to play LB positions that are not natural fits for either player.

Can anyone explain why MD Jennings is still a Packer? Has he exhibited ANY skill as a S?

Why did we not see more of Davon House in our secondary? He made some good STs plays. I just don't get this. The mismanagement of talent on this team blows my mind. The Packers did not look prepared. They played reactionary. They exacted no will upon the 49ers. None. They gave away countless opportunities, on a hostile field. Finley? Ross? Lacy? Sitton? Did these 4 players not want to win? Did they not know what the stakes were? How many $8 Million mistakes can we put up with from Finley? His gaffes almost always cost us Wins. And, that was another important Win that we let slip away into the abyss. We looked like dog shit. Ross? Are you F'in kidding me? Bringing that ball out? Lacy? You know about protecting the rock. No? Sitton? How many holding calls? How many drive killers?

Mike McCarthy should take a good long look at himself in the mirror. So should Dom. So should Ted. Honestly, we look like we are running a Chinese Fire Drill on Offense. WTF? And, again, we look like we do not have the talent on Defense to compete. WTF?

I'll add that Kaepernick and Boldin are clearly a class above the rest. They proved as much yesterday. We had no answer. Again. We looked like we didn't belong. Again. I am super disappointed in this Packers loss. This team has some more work to do if they want to compete.
nerdmann
10 years ago

No doubt about it, the packers prepared to stop the read option and they did it well. The problem is it played right into Harbaugh's hands. He knew we had to and we would concentrate on stopping that aspect of the game so he let that become our downfall. We concentrated so much on not letting the 49ers run all over us that we forgot that they can throw the ball as well.

Some will say it is superior coaching but in MMs defense he had no choice but to do what he did. He had to make the adjustment and he did. Harbaugh just made on as well. Its like a goalie during a penalty kick in that other game they call football. He has to make a guess which way the kick will go. Harbaugh made the right guess as to which way Mike McCarthy would go.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I do believe there is more Mike could have done. He could have burned clock to keep Kaepernick off the field. Fewer plays mean fewer opportunities.

And fresher defense.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
10 years ago

Exactly. Where the F was ANYONE ELSE, other than Matthews? Unbelievable. The list of Packers MIAs is long.

Is Ted Thompson misreading his personnel moves on D? Is Mike McCarthy and his staff failing to develop the talent Ted is giving them? Are they just not very good players?

Perry looked horrible in getting swept into the blocks, unable to get out, time and time again. Datone Jones did very little to create any kind of pressure. Brad Jones? 6-3" - with speed - and the guy cannot cover over the middle? WTF? I will say this, two of these three players had their success in college as edge rushers on the DL. The conversions to LB look to be failing miserably. Why are we trying to force square pegs into round holes? Constantly? If we want a good outside LB, why don't we just draft one like we did with Matthews? F.

Brad Jones and Nick Perry are undersized DEs at the pro level. In Green Bay, they are forced to play LB positions that are not natural fits for either player.

Can anyone explain why MD Jennings is still a Packer? Has he exhibited ANY skill as a S?

Why did we not see more of Davon House in our secondary? He made some good STs plays. I just don't get this. The mismanagement of talent on this team blows my mind. The Packers did not look prepared. They played reactionary. They exacted no will upon the 49ers. None. They gave away countless opportunities, on a hostile field. Finley? Ross? Lacy? Sitton? Did these 4 players not want to win? Did they not know what the stakes were? How many $8 Million mistakes can we put up with from Finley? His gaffes almost always cost us Wins. And, that was another important Win that we let slip away into the abyss. We looked like dog sh!t. Ross? Are you F'in kidding me? Bringing that ball out? Lacy? You know about protecting the rock. No? Sitton? How many holding calls? How many drive killers?

Mike McCarthy should take a good long look at himself in the mirror. So should Dom. So should Ted. Honestly, we look like we are running a Chinese Fire Drill on Offense. WTF? And, again, we look like we do not have the talent on Defense to compete. WTF?

I'll add that Kaepernick and Boldin are clearly a class above the rest. They proved as much yesterday. We had no answer. Again. We looked like we didn't belong. Again. I am super disappointed in this Packers loss. This team has some more work to do if they want to compete.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Perry is fine. We were NOT attempting to pressure the QB in this game. We were trying to CONTAIN him. Big difference. That's gonna be the plan against RGIII this coming week too.

Hopefully we won't also leave their best WR uncovered for the entire game.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
  • sschind
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
10 years ago

I do believe there is more Mike could have done. He could have burned clock to keep Kaepernick off the field. Fewer plays mean fewer opportunities.

And fresher defense.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Oh, I agree Mike McCarthy missed a few opportunities here. I was referring specifically about his options with regards to stopping the run option to keep from getting beat like we did in the playoffs last year. He did what he had to do there.
steveishere
10 years ago

And fresher defense.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

You arent going to sustain many long drives with the pass pro we were getting and the inability to run. One sack and your drive is over. That gameplan would have just ended with very few long drives and very few points in the board.
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Well I will keep stroking the 49ers ego some more. They may be the best team in the league and it is pick your poison with them. They are great in ALL phases of the game. They had a while to get to this point amassing great players with great execution, and now probably have the best coaching staff as well.

We stayed with them to the very end. It would have been awesome to be the best team in the league in week 1, but we aren't. Sucks. We played right there with them though. Showed up much better than the last two times. Encouraging but we just have to continue to get better.

First step: Give Ross and stern talking to or replace him on returns.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
nerdmann
10 years ago

You arent going to sustain many long drives with the pass pro we were getting and the inability to run. One sack and your drive is over. That gameplan would have just ended with very few long drives and very few points in the board.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Rodgers led fast-paced touchdown drives of 6 plays, 80 yards (1:47); 8 plays, 62 yards (1:16); 7 plays, 69 yards (2:48) and 8 plays, 76 yards (2:30).

I also think some screens would have been pretty sweet yesterday. Remember that one to Lacy? I got wood from that play.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (4h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
30m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.