nerdmann
10 years ago

Fair enough, the Brees comment was intended to illicit the exact response it got. I apologize for that.

The bottom line is that in my opinion there are perhaps 25 QBs in the NFL that I would be OK with as my starter. Maybe not happy with mind you but OK with (that allows for improvement a la Tannehill for example). That means that a team that has a starter caliber backup has a huge advantage. They just aren't out there. There are two ways to get that great backup. The obvious way is to sign a proven veteran who has fallen on hard times. The Packers tried that with Young and are trying it again with Wallace (although the proven part is open for debate) The other way is to try to develop a young guy. We tried that with Harrell and Coleman and that didn't work out either.

Regardless. You can't say Ted Thompson has not been trying. I would love for Ted Thompson to pull off a trade for Flynn. Pryor is the man in Oakland now and probably should be and they have the rookie Mcwhatever to fall back on but something tells me the Raiders are not all that anxious to give up Flynn in a trade. He is the most proven QB they have.

Other posts and other threads have said it and I agree, if Rodgers is lost for the season the Packers probably are as well. Unfortunately I don't see any options available that would change that so IMO you go with someone who can step in and manage a game or two. If your team can't rally around that and pull off a win or two then yes your team is your QB, but I think the Packers are better than that. I don't think the Packer only chance at winning a game is Aaron Rodgers.

Macbob, I've stayed up late do draft a FF team and I've had a few beers. Not all of my comments are necessarily directed at you. we seem to agree more than we disagree and this post is simply a clarification of my position. It is not meant as an attack on your position.

I'm going to bed now.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

If Rodgers goes down, Ted trades for Flynn.

If Rodgers goes down after the trade deadline, Ted would pull something out of his ass. When is the trade deadline? Rodgers might be out, but he could also be back for the playoffs. Assuming we had a winning record at that point. We'd just have to make the cut.

The way the offense is run with Aaron is pretty wide open. I wouldn't expect a journeyman like Wallace to be able to run it that way. They'd have to go back to fundamentals to increase his odds of success.

Remember when Barclay got his first start last year? Everyone was ready to give up. Guess what. He got the job done.

With Rodgers at the helm, we've shit ourselves in the playoffs two years in a row. He's an important cog, but he is not the be-all end-all of this team.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
K_Buz
10 years ago

Aaron Rodgers would have never developed to close to what he was if Ted didn't hire Mike to develop him. As for sacks, tell Aaron to get the ball out in under 8 seconds.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

While that MAY be true, why is it that Mike McCarthy could mold Aaron Rodgers into a Hall Of Fame QB, he couldn't mold one of the other guys into a serviceable backup?

Remember who were Favre's backups?

Brunell
Hasselback
Rodgers

play2win
10 years ago
This whole situation is a clear illustration of the difference between Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson.

Wolf drafted QBs as backups, then Holmgren developed them, then they became valuable assets in trade. Hasselbeck, Brunnell, Dilfer, there was another I am spacing who went to NO.

Thompson drafts QBs as backups, then McCarthy tries to develop them and they become worthless in the marketplace. Is the disconnect Ted making poor choices, or is McCarthy failing to develop these players?
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

This whole situation is a clear illustration of the difference between Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson.

Wolf drafted QBs as backups, then Holmgren developed them, then they became valuable assets in trade. Hasselbeck, Brunnell, Dilfer, there was another I am spacing who went to NO.

Thompson drafts QBs as backups, then McCarthy tries to develop them and they become worthless in the marketplace. Is the disconnect Ted making poor choices, or is McCarthy failing to develop these players?

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Dilfer was drafted by Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Aaron Brooks and Kurt Warner were with the Packers, albeit the latter was briefly.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

Dilfer was drafted by Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Aaron Brooks and Kurt Warner were with the Packers, albeit the latter was briefly.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

http://www.profootballweekly.com/story/permalink/23497 

I guess the bigger point is Wolf took a QB nearly every draft for use in future trade. None of our backup QBs have been traded for, nor have played well elsewhere after their release.

Detmer, Brunnell, Hass & Brooks all moved on to have a good measure of success. Warner, wow. But, he was only with us for a year I believe.

Realizing this late that your backup QBs in their 3rd and 2nd years in your system are completely inept is a problem.

Btw, sorry, I meant Detmer.
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Aaron Rodgers learning to slide has helped his ability to stay on the field.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Pack93z
10 years ago
This is a curious signing when meshing it with Ted's comments on signing Young so late. One had to believe that the Packers are truly wanting two things with this signing.

1. They want a guy on the roster that can stretch a defense with his legs behind Rodgers at QB.

2. The Packers are trying to gather as much intel on the Niners prior to this game. Tolzien is a smart kid with a limited arm... but I could see him making a very good backup QB for a complex offense, but he does not have a hose for an arm.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
I believe they had their eyes on him for a long time and when he came available, they got him!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
IMO whoever the Packers might pick up as a backup the week before the season starts is going to be limited.

I'm with those who think Young could have been a better option than Wallace. But Wallace does have one thing that Young doesn't, namely more experience in picking up new systems. Arguably a "career backup" is a better choice for a short term replacement than a starter trying to re-invent himself as a backup.

Personally, I'd rather have someone who can play sandlot, given the current offensive line. If Rodgers goes down, it's 99% likely it happens because the OL hadn't been performing well enough in pass protection. I'd rather have a sandlot player who can make things happen with his legs than expect a backup without any training camp/preseason action in this system to "master more of the offense".

As has been repeatedly said, and I agree, this team has no serious playoff possibilities right now if Rodgers goes down long term. What you're looking for -- or, IMO what you ought to be looking for -- now is someone who can get the job done for 2-3 games.

For 2-3 games, given a choice between "career backup" and "sandlot quarterback", I'd take my chances on the latter.

But that's me.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
There may be some variations but this guy has been in this system for at least 5 years. He will be fine 🙂
Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (12h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (13h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (19h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (19h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (20h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (20h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.