DarkaneRules
10 years ago
No player should come this far and work this hard just to be fired days later, and yet that is going to be the reality for many players on our team August 31st. Here are the players I want to see make a strong case for either remaining on the roster or seeing their spot in the depth chart move upward following tonight's final pre-season game in Kansas City.

1. Alex Green

I consider Green the forgotten man. It would be only fitting, with Lacy possibly not playing much if at all this week, that Green makes a play to take the place of Dujuan Harris on the depth chart. Starks knocked out the availability bug this pre-season but saw his in-game productivity take a beating. Green has made more of his opportunities lately and has increased his value with highly graded performances in the return game.

2. Jeremy Ross

Ross is fighting a handful of players who are on the bubble right now for a roster spot. He has an edge because of past productivity on returns, however other prospects, especially Tyrone Walker, have made a push for a roster spot in recent weeks. Will Ross live up to his potential this week, or will he make one of those inexplicable plays that make you question his dependability? This all is based on the assumption that Boykin is a lock at WR #4 which I believe he is.

3. Greg Van Roten

I wonder about GVR. I wonder if he has all the tools necessary to be a dependable back up to EDS. At least he fits in with the three letter abbreviations. Alas, I have been underwhelmed with him so far. His guard work has appeared to be fine, but his work at center leaves me a little unsure. He will be in a battle tonight with backup Patrick Lewis.

4. Nate Palmer

Hey Nate! I almost forgot about you man! This guy has been coming along a bit recently. He started off slow, but he is starting to show that dynamic play that made him such an intriguing draft prospect early on. For a while there, Mulumba was outshining Palmer in reserve OLB duties. In the immortal words of coach Greene, "It's time."

5. Chris Banjo

I like this kid. With or without Burnett's injury, Banjo was already up for some serious playing time. He has heart, determination, and ability. Similar to Walker on the offensive side on the ball and special teams, he has those qualities you look for in a player that will help your team over the long term. He also has a very powerful personal story to share involving his mother's battle with sickle cell anemia. This is the kind of man you love rooting for not only in sports but in life.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
I love the story lines that guys bring with them. Who can feel something when a guy was homeless as a boy/young man and then gets a chance to grab the brass ring? (Driver, James Jones and Green) They certainly get a few breaks along the way but they get there by working their butt's off.

It is too bad that Harris ended up and the IR but the good news is that he will get a paycheck for the entire season. Something he hasn't had yet.

In that same manner I admire Palmer getting coach Greene to stop by for a visit.

edit- oops I forgot Coache's third "e", Knew how to spell his name just was in too big of a hurry.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago
I want to see Francois and Barrington get more playing time. Those two to me seem a step above Manning and Lattimore. Francois especially seems to always get brushed off and forgotten about but every opportunity he's had with this team he's been solid.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

I want to see Francois and Barrington get more playing time. Those two to me seem a step above Manning and Lattimore. Francois especially seems to always get brushed off and forgotten about but every opportunity he's had with this team he's been solid.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I read in one of the many stories that Barrington has been moved to the #1 special teams, that is a very good sign that he is going to amke the team.

Francois has no worries, he has shown more than enough to be retained to the 53 man roster.

Manning is the guy on the bubble, more than Lattimore, Manning has been fightning through that toe injury, could be he becomes a numbers casualty, but IMHO all those mentioned above will make the team.

Edit:
My bad, it's Moses who has been fighting with the toe issue.
He is the one who is probably most likely to be let go from the list of guys held over from last year.

This is a numbers game right now, The Packers keep 9 lbr's someone is going to go, they keep 10, I think everyone is back from last year, that's 8 add barrington and Palmer, makes 10, and Mulamba is a very good PS candidate.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Francois is the guy I keep coming back to at ILB. He has been as consistent as anyone. Brad Jones was really coming on recently and I hope he gets back out there very soon. As far as numbers go, one of those guys is probably getting cut. It will be hard to do but we have cut good linebackers before, so there is always a chance it happens again.
steveishere
10 years ago
I forgot to add that I'd also like to see Charles Johnson get some good playing time. He's probably a bit behind everyone since he hasn't been practicing but I liked him a lot after the draft. Would be nice if he was able to get out there and show something tonight.
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Yeah, I hope he rocks, but not too much, and we can get him onto the PS.
nerdmann
10 years ago

No player should come this far and work this hard just to be fired days later, and yet that is going to be the reality for many players on our team August 31st. Here are the players I want to see make a strong case for either remaining on the roster or seeing their spot in the depth chart move upward following tonight's final pre-season game in Kansas City.

1. Alex Green

I consider Green the forgotten man. It would be only fitting, with Lacy possibly not playing much if at all this week, that Green makes a play to take the place of Dujuan Harris on the depth chart. Starks knocked out the availability bug this pre-season but saw his in-game productivity take a beating. Green has made more of his opportunities lately and has increased his value with highly graded performances in the return game.

2. Jeremy Ross

Ross is fighting a handful of players who are on the bubble right now for a roster spot. He has an edge because of past productivity on returns, however other prospects, especially Tyrone Walker, have made a push for a roster spot in recent weeks. Will Ross live up to his potential this week, or will he make one of those inexplicable plays that make you question his dependability? This all is based on the assumption that Boykin is a lock at WR #4 which I believe he is.

3. Greg Van Roten

I wonder about GVR. I wonder if he has all the tools necessary to be a dependable back up to EDS. At least he fits in with the three letter abbreviations. Alas, I have been underwhelmed with him so far. His guard work has appeared to be fine, but his work at center leaves me a little unsure. He will be in a battle tonight with backup Patrick Lewis.

4. Nate Palmer

Hey Nate! I almost forgot about you man! This guy has been coming along a bit recently. He started off slow, but he is starting to show that dynamic play that made him such an intriguing draft prospect early on. For a while there, Mulumba was outshining Palmer in reserve OLB duties. In the immortal words of coach Greene, "It's time."

5. Chris Banjo

I like this kid. With or without Burnett's injury, Banjo was already up for some serious playing time. He has heart, determination, and ability. Similar to Walker on the offensive side on the ball and special teams, he has those qualities you look for in a player that will help your team over the long term. He also has a very powerful personal story to share involving his mother's battle with sickle cell anemia. This is the kind of man you love rooting for not only in sports but in life.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

Great list, except that instead of Green, I'd like to see Johnathan Franklin show us a little something.

We've got film on Green. He's good, can pass pro, doesn't have the best vision, but he's great in space.

I also want to see Quarless, Bostick and Stoneburner make this team.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
I will admit I have gone a bit cold on Franklin and look for him to make a jump later in the year. If he shows something tonight then hell yeah... definitely all for that!
nerdmann
10 years ago

Francois is the guy I keep coming back to at ILB. He has been as consistent as anyone. Brad Jones was really coming on recently and I hope he gets back out there very soon. As far as numbers go, one of those guys is probably getting cut. It will be hard to do but we have cut good linebackers before, so there is always a chance it happens again.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

I think they like Francois, because he can cover.

Manning gets to the QB, I like him. Manning and Barrington are both young guys I like.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”