Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DarkaneRules  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 8:46:35 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 195
Applause Received: 323

I don't know about you guys, but he just doesn't seem to ever effect the play positively anymore. I either see him turned around or falling down. I have been most disappointed with him out of the d-line group this pre-season. Anyone else?
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Sponsor
Offline Wade  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 9:08:56 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 644
Applause Received: 657

I haven't seen any of the preseason so I can answer that, but I've been disappointed in him for two years now.

IMO he's the most overrated starter on the team.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
thanks Post received 1 applause.
gotarace on 8/23/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 9:16:29 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,366
Applause Received: 600

Haven't focused on him.

He's in a contract year tho, isn't he?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline RaiderPride  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 9:30:23 PM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 100
Applause Received: 189

YES. He is in a contract year. This should be a motivation for BJ... The Pack chose to not sign him until after his contract year? Does this mean they are sceptical? Or saving money?

Here is what would worry me if I was Ted.

"Don't forget now, I was the ninth pick in the draft (in 2009)," Raji said. "I'm doing OK. I've made some money now and I've been pretty smart with it."

You have to be HUNGRY to be in the upper echeloned of the NFL in your position.

The statement above makes me worried he is CONTENT.

CONTENT died... When HUNGRY was born.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 8/24/2013(UTC)
Offline beast  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 9:42:08 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 184
Applause Received: 270

I've thought Raji hasn't shown much explosiveness since his second year. People have said it's because of the lost of Jenkins and not getting one on ones anymore but that's not true. Raji has gotten one on ones at times and has done nothing with them.

I think it has more to do with the 3-4 scheme asking him to play a lot more two gap (run clogging) first and pass rush second than anything to do with Jenkins. And to be quite frank, Raji is very big... and decent against the run and run clogging... but he's not as hard to move as his size would suggest.

Honestly I think Jolly might be getting up into the top 2 of hardest guys to move on the Packers roster with Pickett being the other one. Though Jolly, Pickett and Raji are a lot of beef...

I might want Pickett and Jolly to play running downs more.
Jones more for passing downs.
And rotating in Raji, Danials and Wilson in some with both.
Didn't list Neal because he might be more at OLB.

America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 9:42:49 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 174

What do you want him to do? It's preseason. I don't like judging guys by the preseason, especially vets like him. Obviously a solid preseason can springboard a solid regular season, but there should be no discussion about resigning this guy until after this season. Just like Finley.

It wouldn't be the end of the world though if we do end up not signing him, we can draft a NT high in the draft next year. There will be hard shoes to fill if will go through with it. I bet we franchise him. He's not worth a long term contract as of now.
Offline beast  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 9:48:31 PM(UTC)
beast

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride Go to Quoted Post
YES. He is in a contract year. This should be a motivation for BJ... The Pack chose to not sign him until after his contract year? Does this mean they are sceptical? Or saving money?

I think both... saving money, because they know a player of his talent is gonna cost a pretty penny, sceptical because he hasn't consistently lived up to that pretty penny price.

Though I think it's a bit different with Shields. I think the scraptical but losing money because he's going to be worth more after this season than before this season, after covering #1 WRs more... then again... maybe he the #1 WRs beat him up some he won't be worth more. We'll see.

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride Go to Quoted Post
Here is what would worry me if I was Ted.

"Don't forget now, I was the ninth pick in the draft (in 2009)," Raji said. "I'm doing OK. I've made some money now and I've been pretty smart with it."

You have to be HUNGRY to be in the upper echeloned of the NFL in your position.

The statement above makes me worried he is CONTENT.

CONTENT died... When HUNGRY was born.

I agree... also after losing the 49ers playoff game, Sitton made a comment sounding like he was happy with the Super Bowl ring he already has. I didn't like that comment but then again he was probably just brashing off the haters, after all he plays pretty well.

UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Laser Gunns  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 10:36:07 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 38
Applause Received: 223

So much so that I really want to change my PH name Sick

Raji is not living up to what I thought he would be.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline blueleopard  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 10:53:22 PM(UTC)
blueleopard

Applause Received: 69

Haters gonna hate, but I say you're spoiled. Instead of complaining over your conjecture, you should state what you would do to improve the defensive line.

How many games has this guy missed? He played in a 4-3 scheme in BC and drew comparisons to Warren Sapp when he was in the draft process. Sapp was an all-around player, but he also got above average sack numbers playing his position. What happened when he moved to Oakland? He played in the 3-4 and eventually became a forgotten man until retirement.

What Capers and Trgovac ask of Raji and the fact that he's held up shows his athleticism, and yeah he's been pushed around -- but we haven't exactly been going against poor offensive lines as of late. Line play is better as a unit.

In the Super Bowl year we had plenty of packages from the rush package where we had Jenkins/Pickett/Raji to the jumbo package of Raji/Green/Pickett -- that combined with stellar play from the other players on defense led to wrinkles such as the Raji interception.

Has he been playing like a top 10 pick? Maybe not, but he hasn't been a bust if that's what anybody's trying to imply.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Gaycandybacon on 8/24/2013(UTC), DoddPower on 8/24/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 11:01:01 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,366
Applause Received: 600

Originally Posted by: blueleopard Go to Quoted Post
Haters gonna hate, but I say you're spoiled. Instead of complaining over your conjecture, you should state what you would do to improve the defensive line.

How many games has this guy missed? He played in a 4-3 scheme in BC and drew comparisons to Warren Sapp when he was in the draft process. Sapp was an all-around player, but he also got above average sack numbers playing his position. What happened when he moved to Oakland? He played in the 3-4 and eventually became a forgotten man until retirement.

What Capers and Trgovac ask of Raji and the fact that he's held up shows his athleticism, and yeah he's been pushed around -- but we haven't exactly been going against poor offensive lines as of late. Line play is better as a unit.

In the Super Bowl year we had plenty of packages from the rush package where we had Jenkins/Pickett/Raji to the jumbo package of Raji/Green/Pickett -- that combined with stellar play from the other players on defense led to wrinkles such as the Raji interception.

Has he been playing like a top 10 pick? Maybe not, but he hasn't been a bust if that's what anybody's trying to imply.

Keep in mind they haven't been keeping him fresh all the time or playing him at his real position either.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline beast  
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2013 12:09:53 AM(UTC)
beast

Improve the line by

~ keeping 7 DL ( Pickett, Raji, Jolly, Jones, Daniels, Wilson, Boyd) ... (Neal at OLB)

~ Pickett and Jolly play a lot more of the run down giving Raji more rest time

~ Let Raji rush up the field using his expolsive burst up the field (if he still has them).

He played in a 4-3 scheme in BC and drew comparisons to Warren Sapp when he was in the draft process. Sapp was an all-around player, but he also got above average sack numbers playing his position. What happened when he moved to Oakland? He played in the 3-4 and eventually became a forgotten man until retirement.

Ummm not use that's correct. While Raji was a BC they played BOTH the 4-3 and the 3-4 and they did play a lot of 3-4 with Raji at 3-4 DE with NT Ron Brace at NT. Brace was a lot like Pickett, run stuffer only and about as big as Raji.

But Raji couldn't do that same thing at 3-4 DE in the NFL, because he's lack of length held him back, where in college they were less talented and that didn't matter near as much, so the team moved him to NT.

Also did the Raiders play a 3-4 with Sapp there? ... honestly I don't remember but I don't follow the Raiders at all, just didn't remember they've played the 3-4 since 2000... probably have and I just don't remember.

But Sapp was old and on a losing team... I think that killed Sapp mojo and he claimed he also got worse because football stop being fun to him and became more like a job and he hated it. Also talked about how he disliked (his believe) that Al Davis would call down onto the field and order the coaches to do this or that and it made no sense to Snapp to listen to Davis.

As Sapp put it.... Al Davis KNEW a TON of football info, scheme and ideas, etc etc.... but it was all 70s and 80s football and none of todays football.

I'm just saying Raji burst and athleticism seems to have gone down since his second year and his run stopping has gone up some... but not enough as he was clearly pushed around in the 49ers game... if nothing else get low.... get down on a knee... no you're not going to make a play that way... but you do clog up the OL that way.

Getting down on a knee is better than getting pushed back play after play after play.

I WANT JUMBO PACKAGE BACK!!!! Pickett, Jolly and Raji... thank you ThumpUp

Never said he's bust... think he's better than Hawk (who I don't think i a bust either). Just don't think he's good as his hype... and think Raji frame burst up the field which got him to be such a high draft pick in the first place has been missing the last couple of years.

And that Pickett and Jolly might be better pure NTs. Thought Raji might be better than them overall... if he can pull out that burst pass rushing again and stop poor showing like in the 49ers game.

Honestly I think Jolly toughness / hands up to tip balls is spreading and I love it. Jolly is a leader of this team... attitude wise... just seem like he's helping by others noticing him.
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#12 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2013 1:02:31 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 174

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post

I WANT JUMBO PACKAGE BACK!!!! Pickett, Jolly and Raji... thank you ThumpUp

This is how I want the d-line for the formations they play:

Base: (Like you said) Jolly/Pickett/Raji. Wilson and or Boyd can back up their base

Nickel: Raji/Jones. Daniels and Neal can back up Jones there. Jolly can backup Raji in this formation.

Nickel/Dime 3rd Down: Jones/Neal. Daniels can back them up.

I actually like Raji playing DE. He can easily slide in at NT anytime if something happens to Pickett.
Offline blueleopard  
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:41:01 AM(UTC)
blueleopard

Applause Received: 69

Everyone's saying get him rest.

That just shows he really isn't as expendable as we're making him out to be. I get that he's a Top 10 pick, but he's only human, and hopefully this year our new depth at the defensive line should spell Raji a bit.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Offline wpr  
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2013 5:20:59 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,844
Applause Received: 1,370

It seems that the Packers are not overly impressed with his past performances because they have not resigned him yet. They seem to be taking a wait and see position. If he walks I am sure they feel the younger guys will do just as good of a job for less money.

I am not sure what is holding Raji back. It could be lack of the right kind of help on the line. It could be the role he plays in the 3-4 and 2 man lines. It could be that it is preseason right now so why bust his chops when it doesn't matter. It could be that he has lost a little of his drive. Maybe fans expect too much. It could be some of all the above.

With more depth and a contract year we shall see how well he plays this season. As of now if he walks I won't be heartbroken.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline DarkaneRules  
#15 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2013 5:45:57 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 195
Applause Received: 323

Losing favor implies that I like the guy so keep that in mind. It does seem like he has been a sacred cow for a while now. He does play a lot of snaps and that is very respectable to me. At the same time, I worry he is regressing.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Rss Feed