beast
10 years ago

This could be more possible than people realize.

Hard to say what the coaches are thinking, but a number of people in the know have suggested it.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Yes in the know... but in the know of what? 👅 (just kidding)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago
There's no way they cut Neal, to much raw talent and versatility. Probably one of our best pass rushers on the team.
PackerTraxx
10 years ago
Maybe somebody will offer a first round...just dreaming.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Pack93z
10 years ago

There's no way they cut Neal, to much raw talent and versatility. Probably one of our best pass rushers on the team.

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

When healthy... when has that raw talent netted him production on the field?

The Neal decision, in my opinion, has to be focused on his health right now verses that risk that he can remain healthy. His track record has to be a chief concern in keeping him over a developing player without the same risk factor and track record.

Neal to me over his time here in Green Bay reminds me of that girl winks at you in the hallway but bolts at record speed when you approach to ask her out. Looks inviting but disappears when the rubber meets the road.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
play2win
10 years ago

When healthy... when has that raw talent netted him production on the field?

The Neal decision, in my opinion, has to be focused on his health right now verses that risk that he can remain healthy. His track record has to be a chief concern in keeping him over a developing player without the same risk factor and track record.

Neal to me over his time here in Green Bay reminds me of that girl winks at you in the hallway but bolts at record speed when you approach to ask her out. Looks inviting but disappears when the rubber meets the road.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I could not agree more. Neal had 1 sack against IND in his first game back from suspension in a loss. He had 1 against AZ in a blowout win (31-17). 1.5 against CHI, with an incredibly shitty OL, and 1 against TEN in another blowout win (55-7). Nothing in 2 playoff games, but 1 assist on a tackle. He had 11 combined tackles in the 11 regular season games he played. Combined. 8 Total with 3 Assists.

Mike Neal has not really shown himself to be much of a sack artist. I mean, not at all. He is one player who needs to play insanely well these next two preseason games, IMO. But, we don't know how much they are looking to utilized him at LB. Capers may like to change looks with him in there, on the fly. That seems to be the only positive in this that might be keeping him around. Otherwise, I see Wilson and Boyd being better DL and Palmer and Manning being better LBs.
sschind
10 years ago

I would not be surprised to see Neal cut. We keep both Jolly and Boyd. Neal was an experiment that just is not panning out IMO. He is the most expendable of our DL group listed there. We keep 7.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I just don't see them cutting Neal. Ted Thompson drafted him high (although maybe he was high when he drafted him I don't know) and they held onto him through injury after injury so they must have seen something. Now that he appears healthy I just don't see them cutting him loose. I could see if he had shown absolutely nothing but he did show some flashes of why they drafted him when he played. At least as much as Jolly or Boyd.
DoddPower
10 years ago

I just don't see them cutting Neal. Ted Thompson drafted him high (although maybe he was high when he drafted him I don't know) and they held onto him through injury after injury so they must have seen something. Now that he appears healthy I just don't see them cutting him loose. I could see if he had shown absolutely nothing but he did show some flashes of why they drafted him when he played. At least as much as Jolly or Boyd.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Mike Neal isn't getting cut. Not even close, imo. He is very likely the Packers best pass rushing 'big man,' other than Datone Jones, who has yet to even play a preseason game. Yeah, he has issues with availability and consistency, but the talent is there, and he has contributed. Also, he's in a contract year, so if he disappoints again this season, he'll move on elsewhere with no ramifications for the Packers.

Neal provides some nice depth at a few positions (defensive end, defensive tackle, and outside linebacker). He undoubtedly has the ability to rush the passer. He just needs to stay somewhat healthy this season and he will more than earn his keep on this roster as a depth player. There's not player on the Packers defense that is very consistent, other than Clay Mathews, and even he is up and down sometimes. I just don't see any way that the Packers cut a relatively healthy Mike Neal. In fact, even if he gets injured again, he'll probably end up on injured reserve rather than being cut. Of course we would like to see more production from him, but at least he has the ability to provide the production. The same can't necessary be said for several other of the Packers defensive linemen, especially in the pass rush department.
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago

Mike Neal isn't getting cut. Not even close, imo. He is very likely the Packers best pass rushing 'big man,' other than Datone Jones, who has yet to even play a preseason game. Yeah, he has issues with availability and consistency, but the talent is there, and he has contributed. Also, he's in a contract year, so if he disappoints again this season, he'll move on elsewhere with no ramifications for the Packers.

Neal provides some nice depth at a few positions (defensive end, defensive tackle, and outside linebacker). He undoubtedly has the ability to rush the passer. He just needs to stay somewhat healthy this season and he will more than earn his keep on this roster as a depth player. There's not player on the Packers defense that is very consistent, other than Clay Mathews, and even he is up and down sometimes. I just don't see any way that the Packers cut a relatively healthy Mike Neal. In fact, even if he gets injured again, he'll probably end up on injured reserve rather than being cut. Of course we would like to see more production from him, but at least he has the ability to provide the production. The same can't necessary be said for several other of the Packers defensive linemen, especially in the pass rush department.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I always thought the starting D-Line would be Datone Jones, B.J.Raji, Mike Neal.

Obviously they don't wanna move Pickett off the field so it spoiled my prediction.

If they wanna get pass rush from the base, they have to get Pickett and Wilson off the field. I hope they don't use Pickett/Wilson in every Base.

Datone and Neal would be dynamic on the field togetther
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago
If Jolly can keep the play from the St Louis game up and gets on the team, I wonder if Capers would go with a 3 man DL in nickel instead of the 2 DL stuff we've seen the past few seasons? I'm thinking it would be a 3-3-5, which I've seen some in this forum mention the past few months. Different combinations of Jolly, Daniels, Jones, Raji on the line with Perry and Matthews coming on the edges with Neal doing his DE-LB hybrid role thingy occasionally?

It sounds good in my head but not sure if it would work well on the field.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
beast
10 years ago

I always thought the starting D-Line would be Datone Jones, B.J.Raji, Mike Neal.

Obviously they don't wanna move Pickett off the field so it spoiled my prediction.

If they wanna get pass rush from the base, they have to get Pickett and Wilson off the field. I hope they don't use Pickett/Wilson in every Base.

Datone and Neal would be dynamic on the field togetther

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

Capers uses the starting base more for run defense than pass rush. Though I do wonder if Raji might be better pass rusher if they let him rest more.

Might be interesting to see a run defense of

Pickett, Jolly, and Wilson

Fresh pass rush of Jones, Raji and Daniels

(Neal working time at both DE and OLB)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (12h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (13h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (13h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (14h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
38m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.