MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

The Packers evened their preseason record at 1-1 with a 19-7 victory at St. Louis on Saturday. Here's a rundown of the night:

Aaron Rodgers played three series and looked sharp despite failing to get into the end zone. He completed 10-of-12 passes for 134 yards and a rating of 113.2, but the starting offense struggled on third downs. A holding penalty on tight end Jermichael Finley on third-and-1 from the Rams' 13-yard line wiped out a 7-yard run by Eddie Lacy on the first series.

Rob Demovsky  wrote:

hardrocker950
10 years ago
This team looked more lively tonight in all phases of the game. Lacy had a good showing - much better than what I am used to see coming out of our backfield. Although I was disappointed that the starting offense didn't get into the end zone, at least the plays developed fast which is what I have been wanting to see more of. Good mix of rushing and passing.

Defense looked stronger tonight. Pass coverage was suspect at times, but the secondary did come up with some promising moments. Jolly is looking more like his old self again, and that pick was a nice touch. Welcome back Johnny! Hyde was a mixed bag of good and bad; jury is still out on his coverage skills.

I believe most of the mistakes and such can be sorted out - not too many disasters on the field tonight. Let's see some killer football for the next preseason game!
Mr_Bumpy
10 years ago

Hyde was a mixed bag of good and bad...

Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 

Maybe he has a little Jekyll in him.
steveishere
10 years ago
1. Jolly looked great now lets see him get some snaps with the 1s

2. Bakhtiari gave up a sack and on 3rd down but otherwise shut down a very capable pass rusher on a very pro-pass rusher playing surface

3. The offense moves much smoother when Barclay is RT instead of Newhouse, that competition should be over.

4. I don't think I need to say much about Lacy, you don't often get to see someone that big who has moves like that. If he stays healthy enough we are in for a treat this season.

5. I think it's time for Barrington to get some snaps earlier in the game than the 4th quarter, he's always around the ball.

6. Hyde looked good minus the 1 play but so did House. It looks to me like the Hyde is more of the slot/ss type he's out there making plays in all phases, it could be beneficial to keep him near the LOS.

7. All offensive line units looked pretty good. The back up QBs for the most part had time to make throws. That's a massive change from last season.

8. I was skeptical of the Mulumba hype but I think he's earned some snaps against tougher competition along with Barrington and Jolly.

9. The Safeties haven't really been making much noise but that isn't necessarily always a bad thing.

10. The back up TE competition got more interesting. Williams was unimpressive and Taylor/Quarless were sitting out while Bostic and Stoneburner made some nice plays.
steveishere
10 years ago
Forgot to add: Green vs Starks:

Green - He just doesn't seem to have that good of vision. When he makes the right decision he looks like a legit running back the guy has some good moves and quickness but he goes down too easy and he runs right into people too often. He looks better than Starks at pass blocking and I'm pretty sure he was decent at it last year during the season.

Starks - When he gets behind his pads and lowers the boom he's a beast but he doesn't always do that and he's still making too many mistakes. That miss in pass pro was pathetic, a perfect opportunity to go smash a guy and protect your QB and he just went at it passively and looked horrible completely whiffing and pretty much ruining the play. (maybe he's having bad effects from being sick the other day, I don't know)

If it comes down to a roster spot between these 2 I just don't know who should get it. Starks seems like the better runner able to pound a few yards and get a first down but is more inconsistent and unreliable. Green seems more like a line calibrator where if you block well enough he'll get what's there but won't likely get you any extra yards. I lean towards Green just because as a back up I would prefer a more reliable guy who is a better pass blocker. Starks has been at this too long to still be making mistakes all the time.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

Forgot to add: Green vs Starks:

Green - He just doesn't seem to have that good of vision. When he makes the right decision he looks like a legit running back the guy has some good moves and quickness but he goes down too easy and he runs right into people too often. He looks better than Starks at pass blocking and I'm pretty sure he was decent at it last year during the season.

Starks - When he gets behind his pads and lowers the boom he's a beast but he doesn't always do that and he's still making too many mistakes. That miss in pass pro was pathetic, a perfect opportunity to go smash a guy and protect your QB and he just went at it passively and looked horrible completely whiffing and pretty much ruining the play. (maybe he's having bad effects from being sick the other day, I don't know)

If it comes down to a roster spot between these 2 I just don't know who should get it. Starks seems like the better runner able to pound a few yards and get a first down but is more inconsistent and unreliable. Green seems more like a line calibrator where if you block well enough he'll get what's there but won't likely get you any extra yards. I lean towards Green just because as a back up I would prefer a more reliable guy who is a better pass blocker. Starks has been at this too long to still be making mistakes all the time.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Good evaluation Steve, I'm thinking Ted will hold on to both Starks and Green as long as possible in the hopes another team developes a RB need and Ted can swing a trade. Most teams will wait for final cutdowns, but there just might be that team out there that needs RB's

I had both making the team, along with Lacy,Franklin and Harris, but with the emergence of players at other positions, I"m thinking both Green and Starks will be gone, either cut or traded.

Packers will go with Lacy, Franklin, Harris and Kuhn, with Pease getting one more shot on the PS.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
play2win
10 years ago
I'm liking Pease better than either of Starks or Green.

Yeah, good review steveishere. I was incredibly impressed by 5 players:

Micah Hyde
Johnny Jolly
Eddie Lacy
Jermichael Finley
David Bakhtiari

Every one of these players proved their worth as valuable starters, and effective players.

I was incredibly disappointed by the play of Moses. He looked as lost out there as House looked v. AZ. Wow, really poor tackling, pursuit, angles, coverage. He had a really bad night.

DJ Williams looks ineffective as both a blocker and as a receiver.

Other than that, the team performed pretty well. I thought some of the run blocking by EDS and the whole right side of our line was a little suspect.

Andy Mulumba looks like he has enormous potential. He makes plays. Imagine what he will look like a year or two from now with further development.

Jarrett Bush stays on this Packers team. Any questions about that had to be eliminated with his sound play last night.

Good to see the Packers respond, against what I considered to be a tougher opponent than last week.
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
I want to give stock down to Daniels by the way.

In the plays I saw, he was essentially stalemate in every one on one match up. I expect more from him.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
play2win
10 years ago
Absolutely! Daniels looks great - and is looking like a model for draft & develop.

I have to amend my last - as I only watched about a half from last night. Moses did get some nice pressure in the 2nd half on the QB.

Must add Sam Barrington and Patrick Lewis to the list of those who really impressed. Barrington is the real deal. He could start. He's playing that well. That guy lays the wood man! Blitzing the QB or making a stop, I love to see his tough style of play.

Patrick Lewis played quite a lot, maybe more than a half, both at LG and at C, and he looked really good. Made a couple mistakes, but its only preseason game 2, and he looks very confident.

I've yet to see anything great from Palmer.

Also, Robert Francois, I thought coming in he would struggle for a position, but all the guy has been doing is making plays. Hats off to him - he has done very, very well.

Andy Mulumba, what a find. His play has been outstanding. Had to mention him again. He teamed with Jolly for a great sack. And Mike Daniels, the dude looks like a bigger, badass bulldog. Certainly stronger than last year. Short, but very stout.

Oh, yeah, Micah Hyde, mention again!!!! Another draft day STEAL! Holy shit!
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Stock down to Lattimore and Palmer. I agree with you Barrington is the real deal and last night he took the place of Lattimore on my depth chart.

Mulumba is a better motor than Moses and replaced him last night for me in depth terms. I liked Francois when I saw him too. Good call there.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (15h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (18h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (20h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
21m / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.