Zero2Cool
10 years ago

ESPN's Adam Schefter makes two important points in this video report on Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf, whose family is on the losing end of a 21-year legal fight with former partners in a real estate venture. Both points draw important distinctions between this case and the one involving current Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam. First, the case was based on civil rather than criminal law. Second, its duration means the NFL was fully aware of it when the Wilfs bought a controlling interest in the franchise in 2005.

Kevin Seifert  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
I venture there's not a billionaire in the world who hasn't been involved in major civil litigation more than once. It goes with the territory.

And, IMO, you don't make/keep billions without occasionally being "in the wrong" for such cases.

If the owners disciplined Wilf for his, the only team not disciplined would be the Packers. And (maybe) the Raiders, since their current ownership is relatively new to a good chunk of its wealth.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Pack93z
10 years ago

Like I mentioned in the shout the other day, the relatively quiet training camp for the Vikes might get a bit more noisy with this coming to light.

It may or may not negatively affect the team on the field... but it certainly will not help them either.

Distractions.

The NFL doesn’t plan to take action in the wake of the civil fraud verdict against Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf. But Minnesota governor Mark Dayton apparently will.

According to KSTP-TV, Dayton is “deeply concerned” about a New Jersey judge’s findings of fraud committed by the Wilfs in a business transaction. The 21-year-old lawsuit arose from allegedly inaccurate financial accounting in connection with a partnership that built and maintained an apartment complex in New Jersey.

In the wake of the ruling, Dayton has urged a final review of the Vikings stadium deal to ensure that there was no fraud or other inappropriate business dealings.

“I would urge the [Stadium Authority] to have its legal counsel assure them and the people of Minnesota that all the representations made by the team and its owners are truthful and accurate,” Dayton said.

PFTalk  wrote:

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Florio begging for clicks again.

Dayton is concerned, and honestly it's not unwarranted. But there's not a whole lot he can do about it. Vikings have already commented saying that their funds for the deal will be 100% guaranteed. Thus, no need to worry. I don't blame Dayton and others to be diligent on this, but this is hardly a blip. Unless something comes to light that NO ONE knows about, this will be all but forgotten by the 2nd week of the season.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Formo
10 years ago

Like I mentioned in the shout the other day, the relatively quiet training camp for the Vikes might get a bit more noisy with this coming to light.

It may or may not negatively affect the team on the field... but it certainly will not help them either.

Distractions.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

In my estimation, that this is the ONLY non-football related news coming out of TC for the Vikings is a great sign. I don't think this'll affect the team on-field in any way. I agree that it doesn't help.. but that's the nature of the beast.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
10 years ago
Still more muted drama for the Vikings.. again, probably has no effect on field this season.. if ever. But.....  

Vikings stadium faces final, unexpected hurdle 

Posted by Mike Florio on August 12, 2013, 11:39 PM EDT

Last week’s civil verdict against Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf initially attracted attention because it flowed from a 21-year-old lawsuit. Ultimately, it could make it harder for the Vikings to escape their 31-year-old home.

Given that the litigation arose from allegedly inappropriate business practices committed by the Wilfs in an unrelated context, Governor Mark Dayton has urged the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Authority to make one final review of the stadium deal, to ensure that no chicanery occurred in the negotiations. And that’s precisely what the MSFA’s board is doing.

“Everybody is on high alert that this is going to be looked at under a fine microscope,” member Duane Benson said, via the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “The governor is not going to, nor are we going to, treat this lightly. A lot of legislators will be watching this very closely, as well we should.”

Technically, the stadium deal isn’t finalized. If a fine-toothed comb reveals issues or potential misrepresentations or other evidence of underhanded business practices, the agreement could potentially implode.

If actual or apparent proof of misconduct appears, it would indeed be proper to ask questions and to resolve any issues that arise. It would be improper, however, for the powers-that-be to use an unrelated lawsuit as cover to squeeze the Wilfs into reconfiguring a bargain about which some politicians may be having remorse.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
That would be funny in a sick and twisted sort of way if they stadium deal comes tumbling down. Personally I don't like the idea of another downtown stadium but I don't get a voice int he matter. My vote is for the unused land in St Paul. It will have to be cleaned up first and the infrastructure built I can't see anyone else using the land for a major project anytime soon.
UserPostedImage
Formo
10 years ago
Florio reaching for clicks again.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Florio reaching for clicks again.

Originally Posted by: Formo 

maybe so but doesn't make it untrue.
UserPostedImage
Formo
10 years ago

maybe so but doesn't make it untrue.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Stretching or leaving out details of the truth does not equal untruth, no. But doesn't make it truth, either.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.