Zero2Cool
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — While it's worth reminding everyone that the annual Family Night Scrimmage is merely a glorified training-camp practice — one that had 63,047 in attendance at Lambeau Field on Saturday night — it would appear the Green Bay Packers have themselves a bona fide kicking competition on their hands.

Incumbent Mason Crosby and challenger Giorgio Tavecchio went head-to-head in the final period of the scrimmage, and for Crosby, who was just 21 of 33 on field-goal attempts in the regular season last year, the results weren't pretty: He was 2-for-6 during that period and 3-for-8 on the night.

Tavecchio, meanwhile, made 5 of 6 during the competition period and was 6 of 7 on the night.

"Well, Mason Crosby is competing for a job on our football team, like everyone else. He definitely didn't take a step in the right direction with his performance," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said afterward. "That's what Family Night's for. He'll be evaluated. He's definitely got to do better than that because that's not going to cut it."

Asked if his problems were a carryover from last year's struggles, Crosby replied, "No. I'm way past that. I'm just working on things. It was just tonight I didn't hit the ball the way I wanted to. I didn't hit it on the lines I wanted to. I had great lift, hit good balls, just picked some bad lines."

Crosby's night began with him doinking a 48-yarder off the right upright on a kick toward the south end zone from the right hashmark. He later made a 40-yarder.

Then, in the competition portion, he began by missing a 37-yarder from the right hash. He followed that with a 47-yarder that he made from the left hash, but then missed wide right on a 53-yarder from the right hash.

Tavecchio, meanwhile, was good from 37 and 53 but missed from 47. His 53-yarder hit the crossbar and caromed over.

The competition then moved to north end and Crosby promptly missed wide right from 33 yards and the left hash, then was wide right again from 43 yards from the right hash. He made his final attempt, a 51-yarder from the left hash.

"A couple moved out, but I just hit a couple on lines I didn't really feel good about when it came off my foot," Crosby said. "I can't overread it, can't over do anything like that. I've just got to go out and drill it through the middle. That last kick is the way I need to hit it, just be smooth and hit it. I've been doing that in practice.

"(I) felt great coming in, I felt good with my prep in pregame, pre-practice here, just had a couple get away of me. It's unacceptable, and I've got to do better."

On Thursday, Crosby had made all five of his kicks in practice — from 33, 37, 43, 47 and 51 yards — while Tavecchio went 5 for 6.

"I had a (good) day the other day… It's a day to day thing," Crosby said. "I've got to evaluate this, move on from it and go out and hit the ball well in practice and in the next preseason game."

For his part, Tavecchio took his performance in stride. While his 53- and 51-yarders barely had enough distance, he said the issue was more how he struck the ball with his foot than any lack of leg strength.

"I wasn't super-pleased with how I hit the ball. But the ball goes in sometimes, and sometimes you hit good balls and they don't go in, which I think was what happened to Mason today," Tavecchio said. "I feel a lot of emotions right now. I'm obviously pleased with the results. I don't feel like I hit the ball as solid as I wanted to. Again, I'll sleep well, go to mass tomorrow and come back and watch the film, be a little bit calmer and really assess it.

"I feel so much for him. I thought he struck the ball well. it's so frustrating as a kicker when you hit the ball well and it's not where you want it to be. I thought he struck the ball better than I did today, but again, the results show differently, unfortunately."

Said McCarthy: "Giorgio's distance definitely has improved since the spring. I think he's done a very good job of that," McCarthy said. "I thought he hit a couple nice kickoffs, too, particularly with the height. The kickers, the quarterbacks, the defensive linemen, all the way through, we're about winning and quality of play and we'll evaluate this tape and our skilled position guys are evaluated, their fundamentals are broken down and how they kick the ball or how they throw the ball, how they catch the ball, that's all part of the evaluation process."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

UserPostedImage
gotarace
10 years ago
I think Ted is looking high and low right now to get a third kicker in the mix. Looks like Crosby punched his ticket out of Green Bay tonight.
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
olds70supreme
10 years ago
It's not over until the McCarthy says it is, but Crosby really didn't help his case tonight. G.T comes off as a likable guy, but part of me was really hoping Crosby would come out of the gates this year firing on all cylinders.
blank
nerdmann
10 years ago
Wow

Right hash is brutal.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago
This whole business over who's gonna be K is making my stomach turn over and over. [suicide]
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Crosby - can kick it a mile, can't kick it straight
Tavecchio - can kick it straight, can't kick it 50 yards
UserPostedImage
Dulak
10 years ago
still wish we got that Norwegian that Detroit grabbed up ...

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

It's not over until the McCarthy says it is, but Crosby really didn't help his case tonight. G.T comes off as a likable guy, but part of me was really hoping Crosby would come out of the gates this year firing on all cylinders.

Originally Posted by: olds70supreme 

Because Crosby has a big leg I really want him to win the competition but if he can't keep between the posts it doesn't do the Packers any good.

I would rather have a guy who is consistent from 40 on in. That will mean GB goes for it a few more times from the 35 out to the 45. With Aaron Rodgers at the helm that will mean a few more tds in the books.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
Jersey Al whole story 

When the Green Bay Packers signed Giorgio Tavecchio to “compete” with Mason Crosby for the starting kicker job, Packers fans everywhere chuckled.

There was no way Tavecchio, an undrafted free agent in 2012 cut by the 49ers, would unseat Green Bay’s long-time incumbent kicker right? This was just a move by general manager Ted Thompson to appease those calling for Crosby’s head after a poor 2012. It had to be.

Well, that very well may have been Thompson’s mindset in March when Tavecchio was brought on board but it’s not anymore. Thanks to a poor showing by Crosby in the team’s annual Family Night scrimmage (3-8 overall) and a solid night by Tavecchio (6-7 overall), the kicking competition is serious, and don’t call it Shirley.

Everyone hoped Crosby’s 2012 struggles were behind him and the early news from training camp looked promising. Things went right back downhill during Family Night however and the frustrated look on Crosby’s face Saturday night didn’t exactly inspire confidence in the veteran. It is clear Crosby’s confidence has been on thin ice since last season ended and it’s beginning to break before the first preseason game.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Only reason I'd think of wanting Crosby for two-three more seasons is this
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/career-scoring.htm 
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (59m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.