Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DarkaneRules  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:26:53 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 354

- Let’s not be so quick in crowning backup QB Coleman over Harrell. Coleman had a handful of rookie miscues today that show he is still going through the growing pains of NFL assimilation and QB development. The backup competition has not been as thrilling as fans and coaches would like but Harrell, based on his experience alone, should still be considered the frontrunner for the job to this point.

- Franklin’s initial glory has fallen back to earth for now. The rookie out of UCLA struggled today in pass protection drills, receiving, and fielding returns. He must improve in all three areas to secure a featured role on the team this season. Franklin’s issues at returner left coach to make the statement that if games were played today, Cobb would be the starter at that position.

- Datone Jones Datone Jones Datone Jones. Yes I sound like a broken record on purpose. The guy is a stud. He continues to beast during team drills and 1 on 1s.

- Speaking of 1 on 1s, OT Datko has been downgraded in my books. Bakhtiari has become my new prospect to watch. Coaches have noticed him succeed more in drills and increased his reps as a result.

- Tough break for Jolly during practice today as the returning vet went down with an ankle injury. There is currently no time-table set for his return. Based on the current depth on the defensive line, this is potentially a huge blow to his chances of making the team if it develops into a long term injury.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline dhpackr  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:17:05 AM(UTC)
dhpackr

Applause Given: 36
Applause Received: 36

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules Go to Quoted Post
- Let’s not be so quick in crowning backup QB Coleman over Harrell. Coleman had a handful of rookie miscues today that show he is still going through the growing pains of NFL assimilation and QB development. The backup competition has not been as thrilling as fans and coaches would like but Harrell, based on his experience alone, should still be considered the frontrunner for the job to this point.

- Franklin’s initial glory has fallen back to earth for now. The rookie out of UCLA struggled today in pass protection drills, receiving, and fielding returns. He must improve in all three areas to secure a featured role on the team this season. Franklin’s issues at returner left coach to make the statement that if games were played today, Cobb would be the starter at that position.

- Datone Jones Datone Jones Datone Jones. Yes I sound like a broken record on purpose. The guy is a stud. He continues to beast during team drills and 1 on 1s.

- Speaking of 1 on 1s, OT Datko has been downgraded in my books. Bakhtiari has become my new prospect to watch. Coaches have noticed him succeed more in drills and increased his reps as a result.

- Tough break for Jolly during practice today as the returning vet went down with an ankle injury. There is currently no time-table set for his return. Based on the current depth on the defensive line, this is potentially a huge blow to his chances of making the team if it develops into a long term injury.

wishes Cobb was not our punt returner...To valuable, do not want to see him injured...

So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
Offline DarkaneRules  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:41:59 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

We got to wish the other way. Someone else has GOT to step up. The fact is that right now Cobb is the most dependable and talented option we have back there. We all know how valuable he is as a receiver, but at the same time, don't you always want to go with the "best option"?
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 7/31/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:49:26 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,952
Applause Received: 2,179

We got to wish the other way. Someone else has GOT to step up. The fact is that right now Cobb is the most dependable and talented option we have back there. We all know how valuable he is as a receiver, but at the same time, don't you always want to go with the "best option"?

Exactly! Some folks would rather remove Cobb for the sake of removing him. I prefer to have someone be BETTER than Cobb and TAKE the position away.
UserPostedImage
Offline sschind  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:03:17 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 117
Applause Received: 422

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Exactly! Some folks would rather remove Cobb for the sake of removing him. I prefer to have someone be BETTER than Cobb and TAKE the position away.

No No No you are wrong. Since Cobb is such an important part of our receiving corps it is absolutely essential that we put someone else back there returning kicks. It doesn't matter if this someone is not up to the job. All that matters is that we don't place any undue risk on Cobb. Let some guy who can't field a punt or return to save his life do the job. Cobb can not be place at risk in any way shape or form. So what if he is without a doubt our best return guy, let someone else do it so he isn't exposed to an infinitesimal amount of extra risk

In fact, the only time Cobb should be on the field is if he is going to get the ball. If its going to be a running play Cobb had better be getting the hand off or he had better be on the bench. It makes no sense to expose him to injury like that. Why would you put such important players on the field if you are not going to use them. That makes no sense what so ever.

Sarcasm Sarcasm Sarcasm Sarcasm Sarcasm Sarcasm Sarcasm
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline PackerTraxx  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2013 4:20:51 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
No No No you are wrong. Since Cobb is such an important part of our receiving corps it is absolutely essential that we put someone else back there returning kicks. It doesn't matter if this someone is not up to the job. All that matters is that we don't place any undue risk on Cobb. Let some guy who can't field a punt or return to save his life do the job. Cobb can not be place at risk in any way shape or form. So what if he is without a doubt our best return guy, let someone else do it so he isn't exposed to an infinitesimal amount of extra risk

In fact, the only time Cobb should be on the field is if he is going to get the ball. If its going to be a running play Cobb had better be getting the hand off or he had better be on the bench. It makes no sense to expose him to injury like that. Why would you put such important players on the field if you are not going to use them. That makes no sense what so ever.

Sarcasm Sarcasm Sarcasm Sarcasm Sarcasm Sarcasm Sarcasm

I agree.Cheers Sarcasm
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline DarkaneRules  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2013 6:40:05 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Jolly returned today. That is a positive sign that he can be dependable.
nerdmann on 8/1/2013(UTC)
Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2013 6:45:47 AM(UTC)
SINCITYCHEEZE

United States

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 110

Good to hear. Glad it wasn't too serious.Applause Applause
Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Offline DoddPower  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2013 8:29:05 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,040
Applause Received: 510

Oh wow. Sounded like he was going to be out for awhile. That's great news.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2013 8:30:46 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,952
Applause Received: 2,179

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
Oh wow. Sounded like he was going to be out for awhile. That's great news.

just goes to show how beneficial codeine can be
UserPostedImage
Online steveishere  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2013 11:56:44 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 963

The thing about replacing Cobb is we just need someone reliable to hang onto the ball. It shouldn't be too hard for whoever is returner to match or at least get close to his numbers he was pretty average last year returning. I could see peoples arguments to keep him as a returner if he was tearing it up but he wasn't.
Offline olds70supreme  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2013 12:12:45 PM(UTC)
olds70supreme

Applause Given: 16
Applause Received: 37

Quote:
The thing about replacing Cobb is we just need someone reliable to hang onto the ball. It shouldn't be too hard for whoever is returner to match or at least get close to his numbers he was pretty average last year returning. I could see peoples arguments to keep him as a returner if he was tearing it up but he wasn't.

I agree. Other than having a stud returner (Hester in his prime, etc...) I don't think that the punt returner position is really all that critical so long as they can reliably field the ball. Any return yardage on top of that is just a bonus in my eyes. It's not just from the perspective of trying to save Cobb from injury, but also to give him a rest to keep him fresh all game and all season long.
blank
DoddPower on 8/1/2013(UTC)
Offline DarkaneRules  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2013 12:24:28 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

I see where yall are coming from but returns have played a huge factor in the recent playoffs just as much as the ball security aspect. A return for a touchdown in a playoff game can be the deciding factor between who wins and loses sometimes. If we can have that in our repertoire, it only helps us.

Jacoby Jones in the Super Bowl would be my example for this point. He kept the team alive in the playoff game against the Broncos as a receiver with that huge TD to take the game into OT (I almost called them the Colts there). Then he has that run back for a TD in the Super Bowl that ended up being huge in them being able to hold on to that victory.
Online steveishere  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2013 12:41:32 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 963

I see where yall are coming from but returns have played a huge factor in the recent playoffs just as much as the ball security aspect. A return for a touchdown in a playoff game can be the deciding factor between who wins and loses sometimes. If we can have that in our repertoire, it only helps us.

Jacoby Jones in the Super Bowl would be my example for this point. He kept the team alive in the playoff game against the Broncos as a receiver with that huge TD to take the game into OT (I almost called them the Colts there). Then he has that run back for a TD in the Super Bowl that ended up being huge in them being able to hold on to that victory.

and Cobb has been a factor in 0 playoff games.
DoddPower on 8/1/2013(UTC)
Offline DarkaneRules  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2013 12:57:25 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

And to that end, neither has our offense.

Prior to his injury last season, Cobb was a factor during the season in the return game, certainly nothing like some other guys in the league, but better than the alternatives we had to that point.

And that is really the idea here going back to what we said a bit earlier. We are looking for someone to take his place. It is up to them to do that. Fingers crossed!
Rss Feed