Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#31 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 11:02:10 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 1,293
Joined: 12/11/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 77

Josh Alper wrote:
Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers' outspoken support of Milwaukee Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun's staunch denial of performance-enhancing drug use came back to bite him this week when Braun was suspended 65 games by Major League Baseball and admitted that he was a great deal less than truthful in those denials. Rodgers addressed Braun's suspension and his...
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#32 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 11:15:42 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 1,293
Joined: 12/11/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 77

Jason Wilde wrote:
GREEN BAY — Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers was "shocked" by Ryan Braun's acceptance of a 65-game suspension from Major League Baseball, saying that the Milwaukee Brewers outfield looked him in the eye and lied to him "on multiple occasions" about his use of performance-enhancing drugs.

"I was shocked, I really was, just like many of you were," Rodgers told a throng of reporters at his locker after Friday's first practice of training camp. "I was backing up a friend who looked me in the eye on multiple occasions and repeatedly denied these allegations, said they weren't true.

"So, it is disappointing, not only for myself as a friend, but for obviously Wisconsin sports fans, Brewer fans, Major League Baseball fans. It doesn't feel great being lied to like that and I'm disappointed about the way it all went down."

Asked if Braun has reached out to him, Rodgers replied, "Yeah, I've talked to him."

Rodgers wouldn't address how the turn of events will affect their friendship or the Milwaukee-area restaurant 8-Twelve, which they are both involved with. However, he certainly didn't rule out the possibility of ending his business association with Braun

"That's yet to be determined yet," Rodgers replied. "I don't regret backing a friend up. Obviously, in hindsight, a more measured approach next time would obviously be the better course of action."

Rodgers, of course, was referring to his multiple posts to his Twitter account in February 2012, after Braun's 50-game suspension was overturned by an arbitrator. Rodgers Tweeted the hashtag #exonerated and also said he'd put his salary on his friend being clean. He also said ESPN and MLB were eating "crow" for going after Braun.

"People make mistakes. I definitely believe in forgiveness and moving forward. Obviously he has a tough task in front of him moving forward with his career on and off the field," Rodgers said of Braun. "As far as the business goes, right now, I'm focused on football, and I have people that can work with me on those type of issues."

"I was disappointed with the way it went down. I trusted him. And that's probably the thing that hurts the most."
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#33 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 11:22:07 AM(UTC)
Wade

Rank: All Pro

Posts: 5,785
Joined: 8/1/2009(UTC)
Location: nowhere of importance

Applause Given: 638
Applause Received: 655

Originally Posted by: MintBaconDrivel Go to Quoted Post


Maybe it's because I don't have as many friends as the average starting quarterback has, but I don't think I'd say "he lied to me" in public about any of them. Even if/when I think they have. Friends don't say that sort of thing of friends in public, IMO. I don't care how much egg you think you have on your face for being his defender before.

IMO, however true you think a label, you don't call out your friends in public. Just because some media/Twitter jackwagon gets in your face isn't an excuse.

IMO you don't do it even if you consider the person an "ex-friend" because of his lies.

Bad you, Mr. Rodgers.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline Pack93z  
#34 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 11:59:53 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Posts: 12,755
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 1,027

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Maybe it's because I don't have as many friends as the average starting quarterback has, but I don't think I'd say "he lied to me" in public about any of them. Even if/when I think they have. Friends don't say that sort of thing of friends in public, IMO. I don't care how much egg you think you have on your face for being his defender before.

IMO, however true you think a label, you don't call out your friends in public. Just because some media/Twitter jackwagon gets in your face isn't an excuse.

IMO you don't do it even if you consider the person an "ex-friend" because of his lies.

Bad you, Mr. Rodgers.


See I see it the other way around.. my opinion, Braun hung not only Rodgers but his teammates, friends, organization, and family out to dry in this deal.

His speech in the desert in spring training last season left him with no wiggle room... he did not do it, and benefited from the support of many.

This is why I want to facts of how the Braun deal went down.. the when and how type information; because if Ryan knowingly accepted the support of all the above mentioned people while knowing that it all was a complete sham, then he has damaged a lot more than just his reputation.

Additionally, how he accepted the suspension without having to face the music instead of leaving on his team, teammates and friends is even more pathetic. He could have, as part of not challenging the appeal, asked that his lawyers (& MLB's legal team) forged more of a comment than the single one line that he released to take the burden upon himself... instead the burden is being felt by those defend him the most under his "mistakes".
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#35 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 12:16:39 PM(UTC)
Wade

Rank: All Pro

Posts: 5,785
Joined: 8/1/2009(UTC)
Location: nowhere of importance

Applause Given: 638
Applause Received: 655

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
See I see it the other way around.. my opinion, Braun hung not only Rodgers but his teammates, friends, organization, and family out to dry in this deal.

His speech in the desert in spring training last season left him with no wiggle room... he did not do it, and benefited from the support of many.

This is why I want to facts of how the Braun deal went down.. the when and how type information; because if Ryan knowingly accepted the support of all the above mentioned people while knowing that it all was a complete sham, then he has damaged a lot more than just his reputation.

Additionally, how he accepted the suspension without having to face the music instead of leaving on his team, teammates and friends is even more pathetic. He could have, as part of not challenging the appeal, asked that his lawyers (& MLB's legal team) forged more of a comment than the single one line that he released to take the burden upon himself... instead the burden is being felt by those defend him the most under his "mistakes".


I don't disagree with you on Braun. Not at all.

I just think that one thing friends shouldn't do is air the misbehavior themselves. Rodgers as a "friend" should have called him out for lying...but in private, between them.

It's one thing giving information to the justice system: a court might need to find out the dirt I have on my friends to protect others or "society" from them. What I know about my friends isn't legally priliveged.

But the media? The fans? The general public? No. Not from a "friend." I admire Rodgers for putting his name on the comments (rather than being an "unnamed source"; but I'd admire him even more if he said, "What's between my friends and me is between my friends and me. Eff off."
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 7/26/2013(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#36 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 12:37:02 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Posts: 12,755
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 1,027

Maybe.. just maybe.. by his statements here.. we know the status of the Rodgers / Braun friendship at the moment.

I know what you are saying.. but honestly, if you go to bat for someone to that extent with them knowing they are setting you up for possible failure.. is he really a friend?

But I agree... there are somethings, like teammates contracts, that Rodgers should just leave silent and out of the press.

BTW.. it is hard for me to defend a QB... I feel dirty now... lol.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#37 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 12:52:27 PM(UTC)
SINCITYCHEEZE

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 511
Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 158
Applause Received: 110

Rogers response today to the Braun situation

http://www.fox11online.c...as-lied-to-by-ryan-braun
Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Offline dhpackr  
#38 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 1:04:18 PM(UTC)
dhpackr

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Posts: 963
Joined: 12/12/2007(UTC)

Applause Given: 36
Applause Received: 36

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Maybe it's because I don't have as many friends as the average starting quarterback has, but I don't think I'd say "he lied to me" in public about any of them. Even if/when I think they have. Friends don't say that sort of thing of friends in public, IMO. I don't care how much egg you think you have on your face for being his defender before.

IMO, however true you think a label, you don't call out your friends in public. Just because some media/Twitter jackwagon gets in your face isn't an excuse.

IMO you don't do it even if you consider the person an "ex-friend" because of his lies.

Bad you, Mr. Rodgers.


I disagree. I applaud Aaron, and as I stated b/f, I'd end all business ties. I feel like you do not straight lie to your friends. If you do, I'd expect to be called out, and I'd expect "The Fraud" (Brewers fans new name for Braun) to apologize for placing Rodgers in such an awkward position.

I think Rodgers needs to set an example it is not OK to lie and cheat esp. in sports....
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
Offline DoddPower  
#39 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 1:13:26 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Posts: 2,743
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,833
Applause Received: 428

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Maybe it's because I don't have as many friends as the average starting quarterback has, but I don't think I'd say "he lied to me" in public about any of them. Even if/when I think they have. Friends don't say that sort of thing of friends in public, IMO. I don't care how much egg you think you have on your face for being his defender before.

IMO, however true you think a label, you don't call out your friends in public. Just because some media/Twitter jackwagon gets in your face isn't an excuse.

IMO you don't do it even if you consider the person an "ex-friend" because of his lies.

Bad you, Mr. Rodgers.


I tend to agree with this. Just like I've been saying in the Greg Jennings thread, speaking out like this is just unnecessary. Perhaps Rodgers could get a bit of leniency in this case, since he stuck his foot in his mouth on Twitter, but that's pushing it. I can see why he would feel compelled to say SOMETHING, given how he spoke out. But still, he should have never spoke out like that on Twitter in the first place.

I just think these types of things should be kept private and only with the individuals in which it matters. Beyond that, it's just gossip. I understand it's much more difficult to keep things that way as a celebrity, and that means something, but Rodgers still screwed up in this situation.
Offline Pack93z  
#40 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 1:41:05 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Posts: 12,755
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 1,027

Here is my question for those that say he should not have said Braun lied..

What direction do you suppose the media types are going to run with that? ... At least a few will start to ask the questions of "Was Rodgers involved in it?"

There is no way with the amount of tree climbing on thin vines of speculation that the media types are doing in this case.. that someone wouldn't or still may not take that angle.

By making this strong statement.. it is Rodgers word that he is among the rest of the world which wanted to believe Braun but was left disappointed that his words now appear ever so hollow.

I think one has to at the very least create a level of distance from Braun publicly.. stating the truth (if that is the case) is probably the best policy at the moment. IMO.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline DoddPower  
#41 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 1:47:53 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Posts: 2,743
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,833
Applause Received: 428

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Here is my question for those that say he should not have said Braun lied..

What direction do you suppose the media types are going to run with that? ... At least a few will start to ask the questions of "Was Rodgers involved in it?"

There is no way with the amount of tree climbing on thin vines of speculation that the media types are doing in this case.. that someone wouldn't or still may not take that angle.

By making this strong statement.. it is Rodgers word that he is among the rest of the world which wanted to believe Braun but was left disappointed that his words now appear ever so hollow.

I think one has to at the very least create a level of distance from Braun publicly.. stating the truth (if that is the case) is probably the best policy at the moment. IMO.


At the very least, he could have been a little less verbose and specific about it, imo. But overall, it all comes back to he should have never spoke like he did from the beginning, and none of this would have ever been an issue. I don't get why many celebrities fail to understand this.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#42 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 1:52:02 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 25,731
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,863
Applause Received: 2,029

Ryan Braun repeatedly told Aaron Rodgers he was innocent.
Rodgers trusted that word.
Rodgers went overboard defending that word.
Braun is now admitting guilt, therefore confessing to have lied to fans, his family and his friends.
Rodgers is disappointed that his good friend, his business partner lied to him.


Look, its as simple as this. If you do not want your friends to publicly (or otherwise) say you lied to them. It's simple. Follow along here. Are you paying attention? Okay, here we go. DON'T f*ckING LIE! Yes, it is that simple.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
thanks Post received 1 applause.
dhpackr on 7/26/2013(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#43 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 1:57:39 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Posts: 12,755
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 1,027

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
But overall, it all comes back to he should have never spoke like he did from the beginning, and none of this would have ever been an issue. .


Here I will agree.. although we have to remember the circumstances there as well.. Braun's test should never have been leaked prior to the appeal. MLB failed on that account, and the media ran Braun through the weeds (in hindsight, apparently rightfully)... and then the appeal was upheld. From that standpoint the world should never have known about the positive test at that point.

Where was the outrage that the test was leaked? That is the standpoint in which Rodgers went off... a player had the legal right to that process..

Even then though.. I agree he should have, at the very least been more tactful about it in support. Rodgers admitted that and more than likely (hopefully) heeds that moving forward.

But there is no way Rodgers cannot distance himself from Braun at the moment.

For all we know.. Braun may be supporting this stance if the two have talked..

But either way.. yes Rodgers needs to pull back the reigns in talking about other peoples personal affairs.


I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#44 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 2:53:28 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 25,731
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,863
Applause Received: 2,029

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Where was the outrage that the test was leaked? That is the standpoint in which Rodgers went off... a player had the legal right to that process..


From the get go, that point was something that irritated me. It was to be kept quiet until after the appeal process and only made public if not over turned. Guilty by association in the eye of the public. And I bet that is why MLB (plus Aaron Rodgers, NFL MVP) being so vocal in Braun's defense is why they kept after him.


UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline steveishere  
#45 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 3:36:42 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Posts: 1,623
Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 42
Applause Received: 856

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
At the very least, he could have been a little less verbose and specific about it, imo. But overall, it all comes back to he should have never spoke like he did from the beginning, and none of this would have ever been an issue. I don't get why many celebrities fail to understand this.


The problem with that is if he doesn't make a strong comment on it they would certainly make an issue out of it going forward. With the way he left it now it's not an issue any more and cannot become a distraction (there are more important things on the Rodgers agenda atm I would think). Any way I would bet something similar to that is what Rodgers' PR people advised him.
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
4 Pages<1234>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / evad04

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

3h / Around The NFL / Laser Gunns

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Dexter_Sinister

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Dexter_Sinister

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

17h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

20-Aug / Random Babble / DakotaT

20-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / texaspackerbacker

20-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

20-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / voiceofreason

19-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / musccy

19-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / mi_keys

19-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra


Tweeter

Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.